RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
N1MUE

"the modicum of some inspired support"???

I hear this one every now and then on Trackside - again today before Race 2 at Ellerslie.

I know what the commentator is referring to, but that statement makes no sense.  The word "modicum" means "a small amount, a limited quantity, ...."

Perhaps a simple word like "subject" instead of modicum might do the trick.

18 hours ago, Midget said:

I thought the same, not even a malapropism, just an odd phrase although he may have meant "the subject of limited but inspired support".

Thats more like it. People should not speak in riddles though, so it become necessary to translate those. But my main beef is female newsreaders that talk through their nose or like a duck.

Nerula comments about something I have been angry about now for some time.

"Female newsreaders who talk through their nose or like a duck"

Whoever charged those bimbos for elocution lessons is guilty of taking money under false pretences...

Seeing we're discussing what grates, I think they should ban the word "super", it stinks of hubris and is usually followed by a feeling of schadenfreude when the inevitable happens and the horse who's allegedly been working "super" runs like he's more pooper than super.

We should set up an alternative commentary for feature racedays.

i could sit at home or in a studio watching the TV and give a brutally frank and honest commentary, something intelligent and educated just for a change, with lots of F bombs, honest and entertaining commentary without ignorance or bullshit, how do we arrange that ?

A side note, that clip from the Baker Forsman yard doing the Tuesday Derby gallops with Emily Posh and Waddell was good TV.

15 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

and some Trackside presenters should not speak at all! 

Including some Trackside Radio announcers.  

Yesterday I particularly enjoyed his attempt at Nishiazabu ridden by Jake Toeroek.  For most people who can sound out more than three syllables in a row it wouldn't have been too hard but with him it was a trainwreck waiting to happen, and he didn't disappoint :)

13 minutes ago, Midget said:

i could sit at home or in a studio watching the TV and give a brutally frank and honest commentary, something intelligent and educated just for a change, with lots of F bombs, honest and entertaining commentary without ignorance or bullshit, how do we arrange that ?

I wish I could 'like' this more than once!

that would be super viewing!:D

1 minute ago, von Smallhaussen said:

no it wouldn't - he would get halfway through the race and see some bird in the crowd with a good pair and that would be the end of the horse race ;)

A good pair of what ? You've been spending too much time up K Road