RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Racing84

Big bets

Do those of you who seem to be unable to get medium-size bets accepted on harness feel a little aggrieved when you hear on Trackside on Thursday night that the TAB had accepted $10k on Habibi Inta to run in the Top 3, and then $5k to win on Black Art?  There may have been others but I only watched a couple of races.

The Australian TAB frequently reduces odds randomly, trying to induce panicked punters who wanted to back it into taking the shorter odds.

At all costs they will give Sky Channel presenters a 'shortener' so they can say 'it looks like punters have come for horse X!!', sending the lemmings into taking shorter and shorter odds about it.  You will never hear the Sky presenters say 'looks like nobody is backing anything in this race' these days as that is not the message they want to send.

2 hours ago, Khan said:

The Australian TAB frequently reduces odds randomly, trying to induce panicked punters who wanted to back it into taking the shorter odds

There is no such thing as the Australian TAB. What and where do you mean they randomly reduce odds. If you dont know there is no Aussie TAB how can we take your first post seriously.

'The Australian TAB' is TabCorp, in case you were really wondering.

Here are their fluctuations from the first harness race that just ran at Swan Hill.  The formatting on these odds may well be terrible and if so I apologise in advance:

TabCorp shortened every runner at least once.  Does anyone think that significant money was bet on horse 2 at $5.50 odds (when much better odds were easily available elsewhere) so they shortened it into $4.80, and then a few minutes TabCorp decided to offer odds of $7?  That makes no sense.

Did someone really back horse 1 from $19 into $18, only for it to get out to $34 later?

No.  TabCorp are clearly just testing the waters with all these little shorteners.  As I said before they are trying to induce Fear Of Missing Out into punters so they will take the shortened odds about a horse they are intending to back.

Watch the TabCorp fluctuations on any harness race and this will happen.

The odds appear to have not copied and pasted so I"ll try again.

19    18    19    21    23    26    31    34    31
5.5    4.8    7    7.5    7    6.5            
81    101    81    101    126    101            
101    126    101                        
51    41    51    61    51    61            
71    81    71    81                    
26    31    26    31    34    41            
21    19    18    19    18    19    21        
3.5    4.4    4.6    5    4.8    4.6    4.2    4.4    
1.45    1.55    1.5    1.45    1.5    1.45            

5 hours ago, Khan said:

'The Australian TAB' is TabCorp, in case you were really wondering

No!!! The Australian TAB is not Tab Corp. There is no such thing as the Australian TAB. 

I dont know where you are from or who you are betting with but you have a bit to learn about Australian racing. Apart from the corporates Australian racing is run by three separate TABs which each have their own pools 1/. TATTS or UniBet as it used to be called covers Queensland, SA,, Tas and NT,  2/ TAB Corp  covers NSW and ACT  3/ a conglomerate of the other individual TABs called STAB or Super Tab. This covers Victoria,,WA and when co mingled  NZ

Each TAB  has its own pools and when you bet into that pool you get the divy from that pool. For example if your in NZ betting at Menangle  you will be betting in STAB but in a TabCorp jurisdiction. The divies they show during the race are TabCorp divies so when the result is given your divy will be STAB and may be significantly different.  

The example you have given is just as I have explained. Swan Hill is in Victorian and  in STAB  jurisdiction so all the local money will be going  into STAB. You are talking about betting into TabCorp which will have a much smaller pool as it is a minor race meeting in another state. The fluctuations in betting are wild and a few  hundred dollars can alter prices dramatically.  Hence what you appear to have discovered as a manipulation and  rote is in fact normal for such small pools.

When divies are declared on Sky racing there are three different ones shown from W&P all the way to Tris and Quaddies. Each is different and you get what TAB you bet into.

If your keen on betting interstate create accounts in each area or bet with a corporate like betfair who cover all areas at once.   

You're talking about the traditional tote product which is clearly irrelevant to this discussion as there are no betting limits imposed on it.  If someone is stupid enough to bet a million dollars into a tote pool that would be allowed.

I'm talking about fixed odds which are now offered by both the NZ Tab and Tabcorp and many others.  Betting limits are certainly in place for these fixed odds products, as has been discussed here at length.

Also TabCorp has introduced the random shortening aspect as described above which I believe is unique to them (to this degree at least) and worthy of comment.  If it is successful for them it may become more popular among other betting companies.

33 minutes ago, Khan said:

I'm talking about fixed odds which are now offered by both the NZ Tab and Tabcorp and many others.  Betting limits are certainly in place for these fixed odds products, as has been discussed here at length.

You have not acknowledged the Tab Corrp is not the Australian TAB which as i explained does not exist in such an entity.

Also you did not mention that you were talking about fixed odds. 

You are correct that each State TAB fixes its own fixed odds. These general mirror what is happening in the jurisdiction of the State that the races are in and are often put up lower at first. 

What you are saying about Tab Corp may be happening  but again I say that the Swan races were outside Tab Corps area and therefore there would not have been many people betting on it. Even on fixed odds a small variation in amounts bet into a small market will dramatically make them change the odds and have big fluctuations.  

Dont bet with Tab Corp unless the races are in their area of control. Simple!

Also the fixed odds displayed on the TV screen before each race are Tab Corp odds as they have a controlling interest in Sky Racing Aus. The fixed odds at the actual meeting can be very different.

Racing84, if these large bets are being taken by the TAB, then the punters that are getting them on are in the TABs eyes, losing punters!

Pure and simple, if the TAB assess you as a winning punter, then you will be limited to winning as little as $500 and others $1000 per bet.

I thought I heard the commentator say someone had dropped $20K on Delightful Memphis @ $1.50 at Methven last Sunday.

Sheeeeeesh.....good filly no doubt but first start on grass plus pissing with rain.

Pretty ballsy if I may say so and she didn't handle it at all well coming in a distant third of six.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

I thought I heard the commentator say someone had dropped $20K on Delightful Memphis @ $1.50 at Methven last Sunday.

Sheeeeeesh.....good filly no doubt but first start on grass plus pissing with rain.

Pretty ballsy if I may say so and she didn't handle it at all well coming in a distant third of six.

Wouldn't call it Ballsy at all.

Would call it a stupid bet, and I can see why the TAB would have taken it!

I think most people would've wouldn't they!

3 hours ago, Blue said:

58 minutes ago, Brodie said:

Wouldn't call it Ballsy at all.

Would call it a stupid bet, and I can see why the TAB would have taken it!

I think most people would've wouldn't they!

Beyond stupid. 

I nearly choked when I heard them say it.

I firmly believe these big bets are real. If I were the TAB I would be reeling in these punters hook, line and sinker.

Off the top of my head. I remember there was a filly (can't remember its name) having its first start at Ashburton in a non-win fillies and mares race last year. It had won a soft trial or two but it was in a field packed with strong 2nd and 3rd placing form in Addington races. Then they said someone had dropped something like 10 000 on it at 3s. I turned to my mate and said 'that person is a f**king idiot' 

It got nowhere. 

Some of these big punts are the most stupid bets I ever come across.

I just want to know who has $20 000 to drop on a race like that?

Any of you restricted punters been up in the 5 figure betting zone?

The thing that concerns me with these big bets is that you often hear of a big bet being placed, and when it gets beaten, there's almost always a similar or even larger bet on the next race, and then the next race, and then the next race which suggests it's someone with a problem who is trying to win back what they had lost on the earlier ones.

One day at the Wanganui dogs a few months back (a Wednesday) someone put $10k (according to Trackside) on the favourite at $2 and it was one of the biggest hard luck stories I've seen, got checked all over the place and just got beaten.  It looked a good bet pre-race, very promising dog who looked set to fly through the grades, so you could sort of understand someone picking it out at the start of the day and deciding to have a lick.  But then, before the next race, they announced another $10k bet, once again on the favourite, and it was one of those 1-win from 45-start type dogs, in a pretty ordinary field.  It missed the jump a bit and was last virtually the whole race.  That, to me, stank of someone chasing their money (I'm assuming it was the same person) as no one in their right mind would have had $10k on that dog.  I feel a bit uncomfortable about the TAB accepting a bet like that because it looks like taking advantage of someone with a problem - especially when they won't take a $500 or $1,000 bet from someone else. 

The TAB restricts punters who consistently wins as they consider them a liability.

Winning punters will eventually get restricted no doubt about it.

If any punter is able to get large amounts on, then I will guarantee that they have a consistent record of losing.

If a representative from the TAB can come on here and say that this is not true, then I will apologise profusely.

As for placing large amounts on greyhounds, to my mind it is a hell of a risk, as most of the time there are more checks than in a Bank!

I know, dog fans will disagree!

16 minutes ago, Str8Shooter said:

there are ways to get around restrictions, and to avoid the heat on your account. Just need to think outside the square. 

Yes but you also get restrictions at the agencies!

19 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Beyond stupid. 

I nearly choked when I heard them say it.

I firmly believe these big bets are real. If I were the TAB I would be reeling in these punters hook, line and sinker.

Off the top of my head. I remember there was a filly (can't remember its name) having its first start at Ashburton in a non-win fillies and mares race last year. It had won a soft trial or two but it was in a field packed with strong 2nd and 3rd placing form in Addington races. Then they said someone had dropped something like 10 000 on it at 3s. I turned to my mate and said 'that person is a f**king idiot' 

I recall something like that when Harriet of Mot had her first race. Was very short and someone tossed $10 or $20K on at short odds. I think she drew #1 which is often disastrous for a first starter. Broke badly then ran a terrific race but fairly well beaten.