RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
scooby3051

Avondale

From what we were told the Auckland Racing Club  did offer the two main races back to Avondale. The racing authority stepped in and said they had to stay where they were, reason being they determined the look of Avondale was no  longer  appropriate for Group races. 

4 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Can someone refresh my memory as to why Avondale is OK to run a meeting 5 days after its OWN Cup meeting feature day is run on another track... how did that happen...and continue to happen.....

Scooby have you seen Avondale? more specifically the facilities? A real shame and let down for the area, because it would be great to have Avondale holding premier racing, track looks good now, but the facilities are diabolical and disgusting, and would be an absolute embarrassment to NZ racing.

People hardly turn up on-course these days except for Christmas at the Races and the three big Carnivals, so what does it matter. 

The TV viewers here and in Australia will never get to see the facility's BUT they do get to see the quality of the surface. 

It will be interesting to see tomorrow's surface which I am predicting will be perfect and the very opposite of the dipping and diving we saw when they turned for home on Saturday.

8 minutes ago, Insider said:

People hardly turn up on-course these days except for Christmas at the Races and the three big Carnivals, so what does it matter. 

The TV viewers here and in Australia will never get to see the facility's BUT they do get to see the quality of the surface. 

It will be interesting to see tomorrow's surface which I am predicting will be perfect and the very opposite of the dipping and diving we saw when they turned for home on Saturday.

for me it is absolute bullshit that people don't turn up, this is were the marketing gurus, the club and other organisations need to work together.  I guarantee, during summer anyway, that if you improved the facilities, start racing at 4.30pm during day light savings, create a alcohol happy hour, kids get a free ice cream and chips if the parents spends $20.00 bucks on a bet.  during sunday markets they get tents in offering different ethic foods, get those people to pay the club to people can get something to eat and have the choice of variety, rather than the usual hot dog or chips, or mcdonals down the road.  To the side of the grandstand create a family area were the club can offer bbqs for familys to use so they can bring their food and cook and watch the racing live.

Heres a few ideas that would get people going.  What Avondale has is a huge local population, and with being so close to the train there is easy transport.  With uber now there is cheap way to get home if you have had too much drink. 

This bullshit that people just don't go to the races anymore of only go during xmas etc is rubbish, whats stopping people coming to the races is initiative, atmosphere, foresight, hospitality etc

create an oncourse punters club.

For young blokes who are keen on a bet and a drink, use social media and create a singles bar, and get some entertainment going.

take away the owners and trainers bar, make it so those that are betting and drinking can be in the same area, the betting public want to see thse blokes, they want to feel "part of it". 

offer trainers a free meal voucher and drink, show them appreciation for coming, guarantee that will appreciate it.

mate these are so many more things these clubs can do, especially a club like Avondale, there is no excuse.  Just  bit of balls, some foresight, some charisma, they were just a few things off the top of my head thought of in a few mins, im sure there are some smarter blokes there who could brainstorm, think outside the box, and try some things, it will work.

its a bloody shame, so many of these clubs have the potential to change, yet are still stuck in the old days and in their old ways

As far as the Owners And Trainers it is open to anyone who wants to go in there as is Member's. Funnily enough as I understand it , when they wouldn't let the big races go back the decision was based on how the place would look on Trackside rather than how the facilities would stand up.   How much of the surrounds would you actually see on Trackside anyway.  

6 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

when they wouldn't let the big races go back the decision was based on how the place would look on Trackside rather than how the facilities would stand up.   How much of the surrounds would you actually see on Trackside anyway.  

simple solution - instruct the Trackside camera crew not to focus on these parts and concentrate on the track and horses. Oh that's right they are part of the NZRB - the tail that wags the dog outfit!:angry:

it must have changed spyro, when I was last there there was someone on door and restricting access. 

Im not sure if it was me, I wouldnt want to risk giving coverage to a broken rusted old stand.  buildings which you can clearly see have not seen a coat of paint for probably 10-20 years.

If you are wanting to protect the image of nz racing, showing the stand and some of the facilities of Avondale will do you no favours, and its not just Avondale though, there are a few other courses in nz in the same boat

30 minutes ago, Varro said:

mate these are so many more things these clubs can do, especially a club like Avondale, there is no excuse.  Just  bit of balls, some foresight, some charisma, they were just a few things off the top of my head thought of in a few mins, im sure there are some smarter blokes there who could brainstorm, think outside the box, and try some things, it will work.

its a bloody shame, so many of these clubs have the potential to change, yet are still stuck in the old days and in their old ways

What's the committee like at Avondale old and crusty or do they invite younger people in with fresh ideas ? A lot of clubs are held back by the boys club who live in the past and see new people and ideas a threat to what has always been.

2 hours ago, Varro said:

for me it is absolute bullshit that people don't turn up, this is were the marketing gurus, the club and other organisations need to work together.  I guarantee, during summer anyway, that if you improved the facilities, start racing at 4.30pm during day light savings, create a alcohol happy hour, kids get a free ice cream and chips if the parents spends $20.00 bucks on a bet.  during sunday markets they get tents in offering different ethic foods, get those people to pay the club to people can get something to eat and have the choice of variety, rather than the usual hot dog or chips, or mcdonals down the road.  To the side of the grandstand create a family area were the club can offer bbqs for familys to use so they can bring their food and cook and watch the racing live.

Heres a few ideas that would get people going.  What Avondale has is a huge local population, and with being so close to the train there is easy transport.  With uber now there is cheap way to get home if you have had too much drink. 

This bullshit that people just don't go to the races anymore of only go during xmas etc is rubbish, whats stopping people coming to the races is initiative, atmosphere, foresight, hospitality etc

One of the best days at the races I have had was at the Hawera Trots this year, there were markets and kids activities in between races. Would have introduced a whole range of new people into racing and even I found myself browsing through the markets in between races.

Racing is not alone with these issues, the same issues are plaguing live sport.

1 hour ago, Varro said:

it must have changed spyro, when I was last there there was someone on door and restricting access. 

Im not sure if it was me, I wouldnt want to risk giving coverage to a broken rusted old stand.  buildings which you can clearly see have not seen a coat of paint for probably 10-20 years.

If you are wanting to protect the image of nz racing, showing the stand and some of the facilities of Avondale will do you no favours, and its not just Avondale though, there are a few other courses in nz in the same boat

They haven't had anyone on the door for 20 years on members stand anyway .  The bloke they had got dished after  a Takinini  trainer threw his toys out of the cot not having a members badge and being refused entry. . Haven't seen anyone on Owners and Trainers either. 

That's strange, I've been a member 30 years and have friends that just walk up there whenever they like, the Member's Stand anyway, they even promote that is open access. The Owners And Trainers the same. My teenage grand daughter just wanders around Owners And Trainers whenever she comes, no one there to ever stop her.  Can't account for what happened the day you were there. Unless they were putting on a special function / lunch for members which we are lucky to get maybe once every 7 years.

Just here mucking out and thinking about Varro's ideas and so on..

I wonder if NZRacing could start a'racing club' type of thing when it gives members free entry to race meetings, club days, punting comps,facebook page, weekly newsletter of whats coming up . then individual racing clubs could put on days of there own with discounted drink and food, rebates on betting for members of the club...

Maybe it might be more something TAB should be doing? Also this would get around my own argument with people as to why regular race goers have to pay the same to go to the races as the once a year party goer. 

Once a year payment say $50....

Some great suggestions above.

Here is one that I have thought for a long time was well over due for a return & that's an on course only jackpot.

The pick 6 has become a yawn and I hardly know anyone now that bothers with it.

Firstly I would split the jackpot into the 3 regions & start with a pool of say $25k each, make it the last 6 races at each meeting (incl mid weeks and Sunday) & have it jackpoting until struck. The only issue with these and pick 6 is the that they need a concession pool and it needs to be realistic. 20% is where this should start & it should be paid out if still alive after 4 races. Min bet is $10 and % betting applies. It would not take long to gain interest and size with the number of meetings. Have computer generated easy bet options as well. 

Can't be that hard to set up surely? and its worth a shot, got to be better than the stupidest bet going which is place 6.

8 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Just here mucking out and thinking about Varro's ideas and so on..

I wonder if NZRacing could start a'racing club' type of thing when it gives members free entry to race meetings, club days, punting comps,facebook page, weekly newsletter of whats coming up . then individual racing clubs could put on days of there own with discounted drink and food, rebates on betting for members of the club...

Maybe it might be more something TAB should be doing? Also this would get around my own argument with people as to why regular race goers have to pay the same to go to the races as the once a year party goer. 

Once a year payment say $50....

unfortunately anything to do with drinking is heavily controlled and discounted drinks would soon be stomped on by the fun police(aka Police. Liquor Licencing and Crown Public Health)