RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bimbo

Allan Sharrock

21 hours ago, Midget said:

You'd think the Member's Council, NZTR, the NZRB, and even maybe the RIU, would be panicking about this exodus of talent, Clearly the system, and the way we're using our resources, is not working and something has to be done to keep all this talent here.

We seem to have an abundance of salaried people arriving and settling into their office jobs, but the trainers, owners, horses and jockey's ranks are all being depleted.

We may have lost some good trainers over the years but we have received several administrators from Australia in return.

Don't know why anyone expects NZRB or NZTR to care? They don't because their jobs do not depend in it.  In particular that applies to NZRB of course.  I have said it a hundred times until someone in the political world realises and gets some action the status quo will remain.  As some one said why do they care about NZ Racing when the can take the next from Wooloomooloo at no cost? Until it gets to situation where the job depends on that the fortunes of NZ Racing they will not be one little bit of concern. They have just had Guy and Bill English to Karaka and who could blame those two for thinking everything is hunky dory given the money being out laid there?

We must get the situation where there is industry accountability on the Boards of these organisations.  For God's sake how do we end up with Glenda Hughes who knows about as much about racing as I do about throwing the bloody shot put being the NZRB chairman?  Or Allen who is another ignoramus in regards racing as CEO?

It is just sickening.

17 hours ago, Insider said:

A trainer as good as Kris Lees doesn't charge $100.00 per day and he's the third/fourth best in NSW this year based on wins and money won.

When I paid my last bill it was only A$90.00. 

Canbridge trainers now want $70/75 depending on who they are!

Sharrock won't get away with charging A$100.00 that's for real, in my opinion. 

I am not saying don't go, but I am saying that it won't be easy for him and I predict that he will be back home within 24 months. 

Admin. Pin this if you want and if I am wrong I will cease from ever posting again. Having said that no way am I in support of of how our industry is currently run. 

I have a horse with Donna Logan and she's $80.50 per day. And we will running for $7 k shortly so Aussie is a no brainer. 

Just heard from a reliable source that the discontent is spreading to senior jockeys, with the claim the number of rides simply  aren't there. It isn't that the rides are going to apprentices,  as they aren't getting the rides either, it is purely the decline in horse numbers and field sizes.  If quite a few of the seniors aren't making a sustainable income now, what it will be like in Winter when traditionally their rides go down  anyway with apprentices being used for claims  on heavy tracks and off course the jumping races.  Could see a few jockeys as well as trainers  making an exit from the Titanic,

2 hours ago, Mr Spyro said:

Just heard from a reliable source that the discontent is spreading to senior jockeys, with the claim the number of rides simply  aren't there. It isn't that the rides are going to apprentices,  as they aren't getting the rides either, it is purely the decline in horse numbers and field sizes.  If quite a few of the seniors aren't making a sustainable income now, what it will be like in Winter when traditionally their rides go down  anyway with apprentices being used for claims  on heavy tracks and off course the jumping races.  Could see a few jockeys as well as trainers  making an exit from the Titanic,

When what used to be one of NZ's major racemeetings had four races with 7 or fewer starters yesterday that is not a good sign. Certainly not many opportunities for jockeys, or others. Any other industry would consider itself in crisis state in these circumstances.

11 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

When what used to be one of NZ's major racemeetings had four races with 7 or fewer starters yesterday that is not a good sign. Certainly not many opportunities for jockeys, or others. Any other industry would consider itself in crisis state in these circumstances.

The stark difference with our lot is that you have to know and understand your business to identify issues - starting point is zero

New Plymouth trainer Allan Sharrock in Melbourne planning training operation

New Plymouth trainer Allan Sharrock is in Melbourne to firm up plans for a stable operation in Victoria.
Sam Scannell

New Plymouth trainer Allan Sharrock is in Melbourne to firm up plans for a stable operation in Victoria.

New Plymouth trainer Allan Sharrock was happy enough with the fifth placing of his star galloper Kawi in Saturday's Group I NRM Sprint at Te Rapa.

But he's not so happy with the state of New Zealand racing and he is planning to do something about it.

On Sunday he boarded a plane out of Auckland bound for Melbourne where he's on the hunt for some stables.

"There's nothing happening to improve New Zealand racing so I'm going back to have another look to see what's available around Melbourne," he said.

Sharrock has already inspected properties in Victoria and is returning to firm up plans for a move across the Tasman.

"I've seen a couple of places and have another couple to look at."

READ MORE:
* Peter and Dawn Williams split from training trio with Paul Richards

* Thoroughbred industry participants call crisis meeting despite funding announcement

A regular in the top 20 of the New Zealand trainers' premiership he has serious concerns around the future of racing in New Zealand unless major changes are implemented to increase stakes money.

"How can I go to the sales and pay $50,000 for a yearling for an owner when the returns aren't there?" he questioned.

"It doesn't stack up so with the blessing of my owners I'll go and give it a crack in Victoria.

Ad Feedback

"Running around for $7000 isn't doing anyone any good."

Sharrock has support of his owners who are right behind the initiative.

"Load up the plane and take the horses with you is what they are telling me," he said.

Initially he will keep his New Plymouth operation active with the most suitable candidates for racing in Victoria making the move with him.

No date has been set for the stable's launch in Victoria.

Former Cambridge trainers Trent Busuttin and Natalie Young moved to Cranbourne in Victoria this season and have established themselves at Cranbourne where Sharrock has also had a look.

Busuttin and Young have already trained 20 winners in their first season for A$550,775 in stakes.and lie 18th on the Victorian premiership.

Last season in New Zealand they trained 20 domestic winners for $481,060 in stakes.

Another young New Zealand trainer crossed paths with Sharrock mid-Tasman as he flew home to finalise a move to Ballarat.

"I need to talk to the rest of my owners before I go public," he said. "But I've been over in Victoria putting the finishing touches together for the move.

"I'll speak with the remainder of my owners this week and if I have the support I feel I need to get going in Ballarat then I'll be off."

He said the economics of New Zealand thoroughbred racing don't stack up and for the benefit of his young family he needs to move if he wants to continue in the industry.

He said he is aware of rumours about other trainers following suit.

"I've been thinking about a move for some time," he said. "I want to try and get established before there's a mass exodus."

Although an announcement is scheduled early this week from the NZRB which could include increases in prize money, the trainer spoken to said he can't imagine it will reach the level necessary to change his mind.

- Stuff