RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bimbo

Allan Sharrock

It's not a surprise, he's a very good operator and will fit into their environment without fuss, and reap the appropriate rewards.

He's not the biggest name looking West though......we're haemorrhaging horse, humans, and intellectual property at such a rate we must inevitably implode, yet the organizations who should be acting to remedy the situation do nothing !!!

Sadly it's nothing more than dereliction of duty on multiple fronts and Sharrock's move is just another symptom of that failure of duty.

Good on you Big Al,you won't regret it. Both Vic and NSW racing leaves NZ for dead. It's sad but true NZ racing is now only for those trying to sell to Asia and those doing it as a hobby.

We made the move 12months ago and have never regretted it,even on the 39deg days.

Mr Purcell you and your Board of Directors are a disgrace to the NZ racing industry,which was once great. Wake up and do something which you can be proud of.

You'd think the Member's Council, NZTR, the NZRB, and even maybe the RIU, would be panicking about this exodus of talent, Clearly the system, and the way we're using our resources, is not working and something has to be done to keep all this talent here.

We seem to have an abundance of salaried people arriving and settling into their office jobs, but the trainers, owners, horses and jockey's ranks are all being depleted.

4 hours ago, jeepers said:

Good on you Big Al,you won't regret it. Both Vic and NSW racing leaves NZ for dead. It's sad but true NZ racing is now only for those trying to sell to Asia and those doing it as a hobby.

We made the move 12months ago and have never regretted it,even on the 39deg days.

Mr Purcell you and your Board of Directors are a disgrace to the NZ racing industry,which was once great. Wake up and do something which you can be proud of.

Like resign....??

1 hour ago, Midget said:

You'd think the Member's Council, NZTR, the NZRB, and even maybe the RIU, would be panicking about this exodus of talent, Clearly the system, and the way we're using our resources, is not working and something has to be done to keep all this talent here.

We seem to have an abundance of salaried people arriving and settling into their office jobs, but the trainers, owners, horses and jockey's ranks are all being depleted.

And nobody in the industry stands up for anything... so nobody to blame except the industry itself. Racing can't afford to lose this the of talent with another big name soon to follow... but who can blame them...nobody sticks together...nobody stands up... so good on them for doing whats best for themselves.

30 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

And nobody in the industry stands up for anything... so nobody to blame except the industry itself. Racing can't afford to lose this the of talent with another big name soon to follow... but who can blame them...nobody sticks together...nobody stands up... so good on them for doing whats best for themselves.

Fair call, and nothing will change until the bigger trainers plan a strike. Im sure the rest will jump on the band wagon.

7 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Better being big fish in small pond than small fish in large pond.

Quite a bit of new wealth in Taranaki, and with J Wheeler getting on he's got almost a monopoly so can't see moving being that wise.

He can have half as many horses in work in Australia and make more money... take your head out of the sand...it makes pure business sense to be moving..

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

He can have half as many horses in work in Australia and make more money... take your head out of the sand...it makes pure business sense to be moving..

Don't know??... If any NZ trainer was going to make it big excluding Waller then John Wheeler would have. Although he had some success i get the impression it was a struggle. Those that committed fully also seem to have struggled. Look I know its Sharrocks business but looking at it externally just doesn't seem wise.

3 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Don't know??... If any NZ trainer was going to make it big excluding Waller then John Wheeler would have. Although he had some success i get the impression it was a struggle. Those that committed fully also seem to have struggled. Look I know its Sharrocks business but looking at it externally just doesn't seem wise.

They can charge 100 dollars a day minimum...prize money is MUCH higher even for shit provincial meetings... he has absolutely nothing to lose...if it is so tough as you say I have not seen to many come back home???

Good luck to this trainer if he gives Aussie a crack.

NZ stakes will never match that of Aussie , they have the population and their governments seem to support racing ...its part of their DNA.

However , its not easy to succeed in the Aussie scene ,their trainers etc just won't put up the white flag and drop away cos a Kiwi arrives on the scene.

But any NZ horse with a smidgen of ability should be racing in Aussie right now !

And calls to reduce our high-end stakes make this more of a no-brainer.

Any stake below $20k is a disgrace !....$7k a an absolute joke !

A trainer as good as Kris Lees doesn't charge $100.00 per day and he's the third/fourth best in NSW this year based on wins and money won.

When I paid my last bill it was only A$90.00. 

Canbridge trainers now want $70/75 depending on who they are!

Sharrock won't get away with charging A$100.00 that's for real, in my opinion. 

I am not saying don't go, but I am saying that it won't be easy for him and I predict that he will be back home within 24 months. 

Admin. Pin this if you want and if I am wrong I will cease from ever posting again. Having said that no way am I in support of of how our industry is currently run. 

Liz, you really are out of touch. If you really think Sharrock will not cut it in Melbourne, provincial or city then you are at odds with reality and I now resonate to your Wellington Racing Club comments - at odds with reality

3 minutes ago, turny said:

Liz, you really are out of touch. If you really think Sharrock will not cut it in Melbourne, provincial or city then you are at odds with reality and I now resonate to your Wellington Racing Club comments - at odds with reality

Each to their own! As I said, I am prepared to have my posting pinned! Are you?

Not sure where you live Insider but wherever it is, stop drinking the water - there must be something in it. How many trainers have gone to Oz and returned fairly soon? You must have something to base you're strange ideas on? Sharrock will have many of his NZ owners supporting him. They will race horses there rather than NZ.  Sure, it will be hard to start with - like any business new start. As for John Wheeler. He's gone past it and had his best days and is more into golf. You might be right. AS will return to NZ - that's his birthplace. But it won't be until he's ready to give up training. It would be interesting if he tallied up the total annual taxes he generated for the govt. Payroll (PAYE) for staff and self, GST, etc. That would be a message to send to the Horowhenua Hack. Also, the total racing related purchases for one year (feed, vets bills etc) that his business generates pa but are now going to be lost. Interesting to see where he settles (Pakenham, Cranbourne, Mornington ?). If it's Ballarat, somebody better tell him that Ballarat is a dog of a place in winter! 

AS flies out to day to look at properties in Victoria. Speaking to one of his owners we both commented that there was more money to be won in NSW than Victoria. Just look at the extra  stake money in NSW. Also field sizes at all NSW meetings are well below those in Victoria.

The most amazing thing to me about these high profile trainers leaving or looking to leave, meetings being setup for discussions on the industry etc is the utter silence from NZTR , nothing nada no initiatives , no stories of hope , how they are reducing costs for participants , no updates on what they are doing to steem the tide or make things better in the future just absolute utter silence!

Only the same line they have been pulling for years that the NZRB need to increase the distribution so we have more $ for stakes and they'll keep pushing that line whilst playing for time.

If that doen't tell you that the leadership in that organisation needs a sort out then nothing will.