RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
racetrackringo

George Simon

He must be happy to do the work as I am sure Matt Cross would love the opportunity to take a couple of those days.  It is only the equivalent of Mark MacNamara's workload in Cup week. 

Still got to admire those guys though

Edited by TOM(the other Molloy)

8 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Looks like Jason has been moved aside???? Not even given a fair chance...no wonder the industry is where it is... run by complete amateurs and everyone STILL sits by and lets it happen... not long before it withers and dies...

Because the commentator has a massive influence on the industry / turnover... yeah right. Talk about clutching at straws.

Fairly sure the majority of us would rather listen to George Simon than Jason Teaz. 

Just now, scooby3051 said:

Thats not the point... the industry needs new commentators coming through... by kicking them in the guts it does not help to grow the pool we have to get commentators from.... they already lost one very good young caller to Singapore.... more will follow.... nothing wrong in my opinion of Jason... he is still learning.... not a mug by any means.:D

Just now, scooby3051 said:

Thats not the point... the industry needs new commentators coming through... by kicking them in the guts it does not help to grow the pool we have get commentators from.... they already lost one very good young caller to Singapore.... more will follow.... nothing wrong in my opinion of Jason... he is still learning.... not a mug by any means.:D

Do you have any proof he was 'kicked in the guts' / 'not given a chance' ? Could be on holiday / family issues for all we know. 

1 minute ago, racetrackringo said:

Jason Teaz has actually been around for years so dont know how much of the learning phaze he is in, would think the level he is at now would be pretty much it

I think the guy is honest and decent enough to admit on here when he makes a mistake.... just think he deserves a chance at the gig.

17 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Looks like Jason has been moved aside???? Not even given a fair chance...no wonder the industry is where it is... run by complete amateurs and everyone STILL sits by and lets it happen... not long before it withers and dies...

Well maybe Scooby but to be fair Teaz had done Otago on the Saturday so maybe getting him to the Wairarapa meeting was impractical.  Not sure why he could not have done Taranaki tomorrow but he may not have been cast off just yet.

I don't know their employment status with NZRB but if George is a contractor and Teaz on the payroll using George on Waitangi Day makes sense from the point of view of public holiday overtime rules as well.

1 hour ago, TheMug said:

Because the commentator has a massive influence on the industry / turnover... yeah right. Talk about clutching at straws.

Fairly sure the majority of us would rather listen to George Simon than Jason Teaz. 

I am not so sure. I say give the others a chance and grow the talent. 

1 hour ago, TheMug said:

I listen to a lot of races on the radio so I like a commentator who can call the first three in the correct order over the finish line.  George provides a colourful call and generally a great buildup to the finish but often misses the minor placegetters.  Tough job and I don't envy them at all.

1 hour ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I don't know their employment status with NZRB but if George is a contractor and Teaz on the payroll using George on Waitangi Day makes sense from the point of view of public holiday overtime rules as well.

Jason has stated on here that he pays for his own flights and travel so that would indicate to me that he is a contractor as it would be unusual for an employee to pay for there own travel. I would think most callers are contractors rather than employees.

13 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

Jason has stated on here that he pays for his own flights and travel so that would indicate to me that he is a contractor as it would be unusual for an employee to pay for there own travel. I would think most callers are contractors rather than employees.

Shame those that work for the two boards weren't employed under the same conditions. 

Teaz is salaried. The commentator 'allocations' were recently taken over by someone new and he has given Jason his recent shifts in accordance with his contract ie Otago/Southland.

As an aside, Racetrackringo, you are obsessed with commentators and Teaz. 

Administrators in Otago are baffled as they have had MacDonald, Cross and Teaz call there in recent weeks and have had little to no correspondence from the NZRB. An ODT reporter followed up yesterday with NZRB and was told a decision was very close at hand.

As an aside, it seems unlikely to me that Cross would move to the CD given his girlfriend, family and friends are all in Canterbury.

42 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

Said I do not know what their employment arrangements are but the reason Jason pays for his own flights is obviously his work base is Dunedin but he chooses to spend a lot of time in Cambridge (for obvious reasons).  He also does radio work for Trackside which indicates a more 'employment' type setup whereas George only does commentating and has his breeding business as well.

It is only speculation on my part but in any case the NZRB has never been known to try to save money any other way so no reason to think that is the case this time.

26 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Said I do not know what their employment arrangements are but the reason Jason pays for his own flights is obviously his work base is Dunedin but he chooses to spend a lot of time in Cambridge (for obvious reasons).  He also does radio work for Trackside which indicates a more 'employment' type setup whereas George only does commentating and has his breeding business as well.

It is only speculation on my part but in any case the NZRB has never been known to try to save money any other way so no reason to think that is the case this time.

You could well be right and I don't know either so I am speculating to. He could have two contracts one for his radio work where he is an employee and another for commentating where he is a contractor. From a tax point of view it would be madness doing all the travel as an employee rather than self employed.

1 hour ago, Toblerone said:

Administrators in Otago are baffled as they have had MacDonald, Cross and Teaz call there in recent weeks and have had little to no correspondence from the NZRB. An ODT reporter followed up yesterday with NZRB and was told a decision was very close at hand.

As an aside, it seems unlikely to me that Cross would move to the CD given his girlfriend, family and friends are all in Canterbury.

Sometimes I guess you have to move where the opportunity is and not sit in the shadows. Certainly worked for George Simon, when was it Gain/Haub he went to Singapore and also more recently Tom Wood going to Singapore. 

Commentating jobs are few and far between one would think

40 minutes ago, tonkatime said:

You could well be right and I don't know either so I am speculating to. He could have two contracts one for his radio work where he is an employee and another for commentating where he is a contractor. From a tax point of view it would be madness doing all the travel as an employee rather than self employed.

From a tax point of view from home to work travel is never deductible - except in certain circumstances - so tax in that case is irrelevant.

NZRB contracts/employs him to cover the Otago area so if he chooses to live somewhere else I think they are justified in not paying his travel from home to his work base. Different if say he is travelling from Dunedin to Christchurch or the Coast to cover a meeting.

And as far as the Contractor/Employee relationship goes whatever the wording it strikes me as a classic employment relationship based on the IRD tests.  NZRB dictate where and when they work, they are not free to work for competitors, NZRB supply most of the tools(the TV's and technology - bar the stand and binoculars which I assume they own themselves),  And NZRB set the hours so I would think it is pretty clear they are actually employees if push comes to shove.  Not that I think it ever will.  I have met a few of them and as a group of people the Commentators are all good blokes from what I can see.

12 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

From a tax point of view from home to work travel is never deductible - except in certain circumstances - so tax in that case is irrelevant

travel to work is deductible if you don't have a dedicate place of work or from memory if you are considered to be based from home. 

7 hours ago, tonkatime said:

travel to work is deductible if you don't have a dedicate place of work or from memory if you are considered to be based from home. 

Not a hell of a lot of travel involved if you work from home?  Re the dedicated place of work that is correct but I am sure the NZRB would be happy to pay Teaz mileage from say Dunedin to a Timaru meeting or the flight if he has to cover Riccarton.  Paying for a flight from Hamilton to get him to Dunedin is another matter.

And if he is an employee in the eyes of the IRD then very limited expenses are claimable and that does not include travel.

10 hours ago, tonkatime said:

From memory he had a falling out with a schmuck called Luke Walding, who was in a decision-making role at the time.
Not sure what it related to...