RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

RIU V G Ville

Before the RIU were introduced how would this incident of been dealt with ? Then again  would the entrance to the saddling area of been manned by a non racing person and if it was would the racecourse D of just pulled the two aside and told them both to pull their heads in ? End of matter.

8 hours ago, Shad said:

What does one do be be able to assist a trainer with a horse on race day, do you have to apply for a handlers licence, if so what is the criteria.

The criteria depends on who you are.

For reasons that do not stand scrutiny David Archer ( the insurance guy ) has a licence that allows him to wander in and out of the horse boxes and stalls on raceday ( he's not the only one, I'm using him as an example ) but the likes of Patrick Hogan and Dave O'Sullivan have at various times been denied the same privilege.

Clearly being a horseman means nothing, it's "who you are and who you know, not what you are and what you know" that allows you the privilege of mingling with the horses raceday.

Bizarre really, but this is NZ racing and we do inexplicable and bizarre things well !!

1 hour ago, Midget said:

The criteria depends on who you are.

For reasons that do not stand scrutiny David Archer ( the insurance guy ) has a licence that allows him to wander in and out of the horse boxes and stalls on raceday ( he's not the only one, I'm using him as an example ) but the likes of Patrick Hogan and Dave O'Sullivan have at various times been denied the same privilege.

Clearly being a horseman means nothing, it's "who you are and who you know, not what you are and what you know" that allows you the privilege of mingling with the horses raceday.

Bizarre really, but this is NZ racing and we do inexplicable and bizarre things well !!

I've even seen the Fockers in the tieups at Trentham :o

On 4/02/2017 at 9:51 PM, Insider said:

For fucks sake, once upon a time, when I was able to wear a frilly dress there were thousands on course each and every Saturday yet we were able to go in and pat our horse, see it saddled and get a heads up from the trainer. 

Today with no one on course, we can't get in to see our horse, pat it or get the information from the trainer on how it might go. 

Instead we have to listen to the radio or watch Trackside to learn that it is a good chance and that every other prick will be on it too.

As I say, for fucks sake,  the worlds gone mad!

Hi Insider,

Agree, it was very much the part of racing in the old days, being able to go and see your horse being saddled and able to go around after the race for analysis. In most case these days, not a chance.

Harness Racing is more appreciative of owners, for instance at Alexandra Park, you get a ticket with the race number that your horse is running, and you can get into the stable area to see your horse before and after the race.

Alexandra Park has also have put a longstanding employee, who knows most harness racing people from all sectors of the sport, in the stabling area, to overcome the hiccups that can happen with non racing officials.

I know I am biased now to Harness Racing, but why would I not be, with all weather tracks, and very little cancellation of trials and races. I also support thoroughbred racing, and have a couple of small shares, just to balance the ledger.

Cheers.

Robert.

We all know that we have to have some rules but I have always noticed that if you give a "dickhead' a bit of power all you get is a powerful dickhead.I always used to like to go and see my horses saddled up but reluctantly understand that in these days of large syndicates there is a safety issue.

I have also said that racing is the only industry that needs people but then proceeds to pay people to keep them away

Have you been to Ellerslie Races lately..... There are more security thugs there than punters !!! Its very off putting and intimidating to the general race going public. Am not sure what the powers that be are expecting... I joked to one  " are you expecting a visit from Isis ".he had no idea of the Irish humour. 

While attending a number of Australian meetings recently, while they do have the presence of security, there is not the same aggressive style approach.

From my observation here on race day the crowds are well behaved... and the few that over indulge would not be a threat to our national security ... a decsent puff of wind would blow the over !!! That said we love to waste money here in all facets of the industry !!!

I have just  read the RIU vrs Gary Vile...It is just pathetic to say the least....As mentioned above we do NOT need these thugs with " traffic cop "mentality on course... Give a man a badge ( red in this case)  and he will grow six inches and be a complete arse !!!

Thanks everyone for your answers, don't fancy my chances, if the opportunity ever arises, i was told years ago a good lawnmower goes along way, how do owners get permission to lead there horses in after a win or a photo in the birdcage afterwards, any difference.

50 minutes ago, Shad said:

Thanks everyone for your answers, don't fancy my chances, if the opportunity ever arises, i was told years ago a good lawnmower goes along way, how do owners get permission to lead there horses in after a win or a photo in the birdcage afterwards, any difference.

The rules only apply when it suits them.

One of the last times I took a horse to the races, my unlicensed wife, and owner of the horse, walked in through the stabling area with me and the horse and into the course carrying the gear bag. When we went to leave they would not allow her back through the tie up area even in my company. They expected her to walk 3km out the main entrance and around the road to get there. It wasn't the first time. Enough is enough.

4 hours ago, Beck"s said:

I have just  read the RIU vrs Gary Vile...It is just pathetic to say the least....As mentioned above we do NOT need these thugs with " traffic cop "mentality on course... Give a man a badge ( red in this case)  and he will grow six inches and be a complete arse !!!

right on....

these ReD Badge people, like kids are given police control and authority and that is the real danger and a power they exploit. It must be a concern which racing has to address, as it is causing 'injury' to those who matter. Really must be remedied.

at ellerslie the other night no security guards and the crowd would have dropped 50 percent.  they should have been ordered into the stands  and the cameras could have focussed on them and it would have looked a huge crowd. bit of dancing and waving and yelling would have helped. I went through alex park to stables 200 times bought the security person coffee and she threatened me with trespass if I didn't show a  ticket. funny really. 

who is more use to the industry gary  vile or  this security person. mmm have to think about that.

4 hours ago, Leggy said:

One of the last times I took a horse to the races, my unlicensed wife, and owner of the horse, walked in through the stabling area with me and the horse and into the course carrying the gear bag. When we went to leave they would not allow her back through the tie up area even in my company. They expected her to walk 3km out the main entrance and around the road to get there. It wasn't the first time. Enough is enough.

Trentham ?