RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

John Allen's roadshow returns

I got an email announcing the return of the John Allen Road Show in March.  Firstly, fair play to him for keeping his word and doing them again.

Below is a couple of tips for him this time round:

Last time he spent the first 30 mins telling us how special the nz racing people were, how many group 1s are won in Australia compared to runners, the passion of the people in the industry, the skilled horse people etc etc.....TIP 1 WE KNOW ALL THIS AND IF HE HAD HISTORY IN THE GAME HE WOULD KNOW IT TOO.  THIS WHY PEOPLE ARE SO UPSET ABOUT THEIR GREAT INDUSTRY DISSAPPEARING!!!  SO PLEASE DON'T WASTE 30 of the 60 MINS TALKING ABOUT THIS AGAIN.

Figures were quoted about increased income from field legislations, new betting platforms etc $60M (or something like that figure, makes no difference as pure pie in the sky).  TIP 2 PRESENT SOME FINANCIAL BACKING OF THESE FIGURES.  HOW MANY CUSTOMERS WE HAVE, HOW MUCH THEY SPEND NOW.  HOW DO WE KNOW HOW MANY MORE CUSTOMERS OR SPEND WE WILL HAVE.  IF TELLING A STORY AT LEAST MAKE IT BELIEVABLE.

19 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

Business as usual... nobody stands up to them so nobody to blame but ourselves... I am tired of hearing all the bleating about this and that... nobody in the industry has any balls to change anything...last weekend proved it.

I'm not prepared ( nor do I have permission ) to discuss what happened Sunday here but all is not as it seems actually Scooby so I wouldn't go putting too many arrows in their backs just yet.

That communique was carefully worded for a reason and whilst I wouldn't want you getting your hopes up I wouldn't on the other hand be out buying razor blades or a knotted rope just yet.

Feedback to Industry participants has been very poor, as per usual, the product providers get f... all information.

Why is there no feedback to the people that put on the show? Secret service alive and kicking in NZ.

For f.... sake, are we not entitled to know what is going on?

The sales were very much a reminder of how this industry is sinking at a rapid rate, Domestic racing is finished!

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

John Allen the peripatetic snake oil salesman coming to a town near you. Beware of being bitten again!

Are you trying to challenge the Midget for the use of colourful adjectives, gubes? I had to google paripatetic! At least I usually know what Midget's ones mean. And I think you've also mixed your metaphors. I don't think snake oil can bite.

Karaka is a lot worse than it appears on paper.

There are vendors literally withdrawing horses on the day to avoid humiliation,

Some vendors are really only moving stock by keeping significant shares in the animals, it's not fair to name those vendors but one in particular is a big player.

There's no other way to look at this than as an absolute vote of no confidence in the insouciant attitude of both NZTR and the NZRB, and as the astute judges in the industry have been predicting for some time, the chickens are definitely coming home to roost.

What now ? that's the question, these horses that haven't sold have to go somewhere, surely they can't be recycled and pollute the R2R sale again.

If you're a small time stud with an average stallion, well your future must be gloomy indeed, and if you're a small time breeder who mates the odd mare, well you may as well cash up and move on because this is only going to get worse and there's no point producing something no one wants.

The only blue sky I can see is China, we so need them to start buying a couple of thousand yearlings a year off us or we're absolutely fooked.

At least now every sector has been smashed and abused, and hopefully that'll translate into united action if the NZRB meeting in March doesn't deliver an instant 15 million.

2 hours ago, Midget said:

At least now every sector has been smashed and abused, and hopefully that'll translate into united action if the NZRB meeting in March doesn't deliver an instant 15 million.

You want them to waste 15m of capital on stakes?

27 minutes ago, Leggy said:

So, what do you want the instant 15m for? It surely can only come from capital at this stage?

Symbolic gesture really given that they're claiming they can produce 50 million in year three, and I'm reliably informed that they were encouraged to produce a significant advance this year if they genuinely believed what they said at the Sunday meeting.

Hence the mention of the March board meeting being critical.

If they don't produce anything in March you can reasonably presume they're bluffing about being 50 million positive in year three of this latest spending frenzy.

5 hours ago, Midget said:

Karaka is a lot worse than it appears on paper.

There are vendors literally withdrawing horses on the day to avoid humiliation,

Some vendors are really only moving stock by keeping significant shares in the animals, it's not fair to name those vendors but one in particular is a big player.

There's no other way to look at this than as an absolute vote of no confidence in the insouciant attitude of both NZTR and the NZRB, and as the astute judges in the industry have been predicting for some time, the chickens are definitely coming home to roost.

What now ? that's the question, these horses that haven't sold have to go somewhere, surely they can't be recycled and pollute the R2R sale again.

If you're a small time stud with an average stallion, well your future must be gloomy indeed, and if you're a small time breeder who mates the odd mare, well you may as well cash up and move on because this is only going to get worse and there's no point producing something no one wants.

The only blue sky I can see is China, we so need them to start buying a couple of thousand yearlings a year off us or we're absolutely fooked.

And who was the brains behind running the major national sale right in the middle of Chinese New year... nobody leaves home during this time so one of the biggest potential group of buyers is out from the beginning.

They should move the whole Sales Series to NZ Derby time and dodge Chinese NewYear forever. 

It make total sense to me. 

It gives our horses a bit more time too or at least stops them from beginning subjected to a Sales prep so early in their immature life. 

I see it as a win win for everyone. 

Memo John Allen 

PLEASE attend the Festival Sale at Karaka tomorrow. You will learn more about the racing industry in one day than you will learn in one year from your colleagues bivouaced away from the chills of reality in your Petone Palace.

On 3/02/2017 at 5:01 PM, scooby3051 said:

Business as usual... nobody stands up to them so nobody to blame but ourselves... I am tired of hearing all the bleating about this and that... nobody in the industry has any balls to change anything...last weekend proved it.

Totally agree with you Scoobs.