RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Tauherenikau Waitangi Day

WTF? $20 entry fee,  I am in favour of entry fees but shit this is just gouging the public, its bloody disgraceful.

Ellerslie on million night was $10 & Te Rapa next Sat is $10, whats the justification for the $20?

Are you still allowed BYO at Tauherenikau? it will be its only saving grace.

I'm with you $20 is a lot, but I can understand why the club has to do it to make a quid.

The Fillies and Mares race looks the weakest and has been for some time as well. 

Hope the Club has a great day.

I tend to agree. $20 is disgraceful for pretty ordinary fields. I'm surprised they didn't split the race with five ballots. Seems silly having a large crowd there and giving them nothing to bet on. I suppose they work on the basis their customers aren't really racegoers and they only have one chance to get money out of them. The trouble with these sorts of meetings in NZ is that they have no decent facilities for actual punters to bet on meetings elsewhere and there are no other decent meetings on in the country on that day anyhow.

Youcan still BYO at Tauherenikau, That in itself is probably worth paying the extra $10. The fields will generally be of poor quality, but most of those present are just backing names and favourite jockeys anyway. Anyone going should get in the Punters Club. He returned $40 for the $10 investment last time out.

Problem they have is the surroundings are probably the best in NZ and lots of families etc come out to the meeting for a social gathering and don't have a bet all day so you need to charge them for using your brilliant facilities.Maybe a rebate on your entrance fee if you punt x amount of dollars on the day ?

2 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

With the $20 gate charge why not include a $5 easy bet with the entry?  Gives the person something back immediately and if the easy bet comes in some punting money which would more than likely be reinvested through the tote during the day.  

Probably because that would generate about $1 for the club in profit  across the day at best (assuming the winnings were reinvested also), if they are getting the 8.5% of on course turnover for this meeting , I assume they are given that as they have a stakes race on the card. 

Don't blame the club for this , blame the governing body for the funding policy that like most of their policy gives little incentive for initiative or innovation.

10 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

With the $20 gate charge why not include a $5 easy bet with the entry?  Gives the person something back immediately and if the easy bet comes in some punting money which would more than likely be reinvested through the tote during the day.  

By my back of the envelope calculations the club would have to have every punter put about $220 through the tote to generate the same from the $20 gate charge, tough work indeed!

1 hour ago, Uriah Heap said:

Youcan still BYO at Tauherenikau, That in itself is probably worth paying the extra $10. The fields will generally be of poor quality, but most of those present are just backing names and favourite jockeys anyway. Anyone going should get in the Punters Club. He returned $40 for the $10 investment last time out.

Not so sure on this, noticed a sign up this morning saying no BYO. First time I have seen the sign. 

When can nzracing/TAB get a frequent flyer type system when regular punters and owners of horses build up credits. I was on the other side of the fence this year on a bus trip to the Welly Cup, a huge amount of those people didn't show any real interest in the racing and why should those guys pay the same amount as the regular racegoer/punter/owner that are putting into the game every week? 

To be fair the guys on the bus they did put a shitload through the bar when they could, some were like me and got within 20 minutes of the front of the que then went and watched a race so lost there spot! 

33 minutes ago, Huey said:

Probably because that would generate about $1 for the club in profit  across the day at best (assuming the winnings were reinvested also), if they are getting the 8.5% of on course turnover for this meeting , I assume they are given that as they have a stakes race on the card. 

Don't blame the club for this , blame the governing body for the funding policy that like most of their policy gives little incentive for initiative or innovation.

Don't forget they would also get 8.5% on all the $5 easy bets. But it is more about giving the patron something straight away in the hand with the opportunity that it could well repay more than the cost of entry. Being summer why not also arrange with a bottled water company sponsorship to supply a bottle of their product as well.

So pay your $20 for entry and get a $5.00 easy bet and a bottle of water as you walk through the gate. Club profit, customer gets something in return for entry.

Win/win for everyone.   

3 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Don't forget they would also get 8.5% on all the $5 easy bets. But it is more about giving the patron something straight away in the hand with the opportunity that it could well repay more than the cost of entry. Being summer why not also arrange with a bottled water company sponsorship to supply a bottle of their product as well.

So pay your $20 for entry and get a $5.00 easy bet and a bottle of water as you walk through the gate. Club profit, customer gets something in return for entry.

Win/win for everyone.   

Understand that , but the club still needs to generate some income. I guess you may try this at Te Aroha?

IMO this however needs to be driven from the top i.e. NZTR via policy that incentivise the club to try things like your suggestions , the club bares all the risk in this instance. Lets say the club does $150k on course to match that they only need around 620 paying customers at $20 each to match that which they will probably get , so looks to be like they have done the numbers.

11 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Not so sure on this, noticed a sign up this morning saying no BYO. First time I have seen the sign. 

When can nzracing/TAB get a frequent flyer type system when regular punters and owners of horses build up credits. I was on the other side of the fence this year on a bus trip to the Welly Cup, a huge amount of those people didn't show any real interest in the racing and why should those guys pay the same amount as the regular racegoer/punter/owner that are putting into the game every week? 

To be fair the guys on the bus they did put a shitload through the bar when they could, some were like me and got within 20 minutes of the front of the que then went and watched a race so lost there spot! 

I imagine this sort of meeting would suffer badly if byo isn't allowed, after-all the fields aren't a good enough attraction without the special atmosphere this meeting usually has.. Why pay $20 and then have to pay through the nose for pretty ordinary booze, and probably long queues to get an overpriced drink? Not a badly behaved crowd normally either. One meeting that the byo ban would kill would be Kaikoura, another well behaved crowd, but I don't think that matters to the police and liquor people. 

9 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

By hunting very hard on line I managed to find the byo policy. One bottle of wine or six small bottles of beer per person. So a sober driver comes in even more useful on such days as their allocation can be shared around.

better still - have 2 sober drivers and you can stay longer ;)

On 2/3/2017 at 8:23 AM, We're Doomed said:

I tend to agree. $20 is disgraceful for pretty ordinary fields. I'm surprised they didn't split the race with five ballots. Seems silly having a large crowd there and giving them nothing to bet on. I suppose they work on the basis their customers aren't really racegoers and they only have one chance to get money out of them. The trouble with these sorts of meetings in NZ is that they have no decent facilities for actual punters to bet on meetings elsewhere and there are no other decent meetings on in the country on that day anyhow.

yeah, where are the rest of the NZ meetings on this holiday !!! Should have been another northern meeting and a southern meeting (either code) . 

oh well , we now have time to watch a bit of Super Bowl !

While its a great family day out they dont look after members in the slightest. Pretty sad really. BYO is definitely the way to go as there is a bar in the members stand with about 4 stubbies in and a bottle of tonic water. I look forward to driving home (I can see the treetops) to a gigantic glass of wine. The monitors were 30 year old televisions and the sound quality from the members stand is terrible. I heard more than one person complaining about no being able to hear. If the clubs dont look after the members and the professionals what remains of the club? If members dont bring guests how do they recruit new members or fresh blood?

11 minutes ago, Jo_Neilson said:

While its a great family day out they dont look after members in the slightest. Pretty sad really. BYO is definitely the way to go as there is a bar in the members stand with about 4 stubbies in and a bottle of tonic water. I look forward to driving home (I can see the treetops) to a gigantic glass of wine. The monitors were 30 year old televisions and the sound quality from the members stand is terrible. I heard more than one person complaining about no being able to hear. If the clubs dont look after the members and the professionals what remains of the club? If members dont bring guests how do they recruit new members or fresh blood?

That is the problem most NZ meetings like this have. The NZRB  needs to design, and probably fund, a decent tote room for all of these smaller tracks so that punters have at least as good facilities as they would get at their local TAB. It's crazy going to the effort and expense of getting to a racemeeting only to find you had better facilities in your own home or at the local pub. The picnic novelty can only take a meeting so far, especially these days with the clamp down on booze and people having fun, and the exorbitant entry charges.

There will be those who say just bet on your phone, unfortunately at Tauherenikau the cell coverage is not the greatest with those numbers are present the signal is intermittent. 

The real shame is only the 7 races, always a great day down there and very few race tracks provide such a beautiful setting for family days out.

47 minutes ago, barryb said:

There will be those who say just bet on your phone, unfortunately at Tauherenikau the cell coverage is not the greatest with those numbers are present the signal is intermittent. 

The real shame is only the 7 races, always a great day down there and very few race tracks provide such a beautiful setting for family days out.

Don't they provide free wifi?

Hardly any point for trials days when you can't bet. I would have thought that all clubs would do that in 2017. Then, I haven't been inspired to attend a race meeting in the last 2 or 3 years, so if they don't even bother with that, it'll be a while before I do. Perhaps clubs are disinterested in generating wagering revenue? I thought that was the business idea of running them. This is the 21st century n0? I go to a race meeting and can't have a bet on my phone? Surely you are joking?

39 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Hardly any point for trials days when you can't bet. I would have thought that all clubs would do that in 2017. Then, I haven't been inspired to attend a race meeting in the last 2 or 3 years, so if they don't even bother with that, it'll be a while before I do. Perhaps clubs are disinterested in generating wagering revenue? I thought that was the business idea of running them. This is the 21st century n0? I go to a race meeting and can't have a bet on my phone? Surely you are joking?

You don't need free wifi to have a bet on your phone Leggy