RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

You've got to feel for the hard working people of racing

When this happens.

So many people are being hurt here, small time breeders and vendors mainly, but the mere fact NZers can't muster the funds to buy a horse, or they haven't the confidence to buy one, it's catastrophic and clearly a sign of an industry in a severe tailspin.

Head office won't want to know about this of course, they'll just bury their heads in the sand, shrug their shoulders, take their salaries, and move on claiming it's just a "correction", but it's more than that, it's a symptom of a very sick industry with no signs of any strategy, or change of direction, that could possibly get us back on track.

IMG_7268.PNG

Agreed Midget . Given the poor sales results thus far those with entries to the Festival sale must be feeling extremely nervous and rightly so.Unless things change dramatically i cant see a future for such a sale as the market will dictate that it is not economic to breed / participate at this sale.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

So many people are being hurt here, small time breeders and vendors mainly, but the mere fact NZers can't muster the funds to buy a horse, or they haven't the confidence to buy one, it's catastrophic and clearly a sign of an industry in a severe tailspin

Agree.  The catalogue for the Festival sale I don't think is that strong either.  So figures from that will be interesting to say the least.

It's very sad and it's hurting the small players for sure - as I said on the breeding forum these poor prices I believe are directly associated with low stakes which has lead to our good breeding stock being sold offshore - unfortunately I think a lot of broodmares will be catalogued later in the year:( If you're not in K1 you're better off keeping the stock and trying to sell off the track or lease to race...The top few % of breeders are really in K1 and even Waikato Stud tweeted that to meet the market all their Select stock will have a $10k reserve!! 

Blaming all the time "head office" is rather illogical. It would be far better hearing suggestions for new policy or direct reasons as to why there has been a downturn.

Quite often its those who moan the most that are the ones who won't listen and don't have any new ideas.

All markets, whether tangible commodities or derivatives, are cyclical.... that's the nature of the game. If you aren't prepared to take the good with the bad then you shouldn't be in the game. 5 years ago gold was dealing at $1800/ounce, now $1200.... Oil was trading over $100 a barrel and is now half that while the New Zealand Dollar was 10 cents higher at $ 0.83. I agree that the thoroughbred platform isn't great given the leadership and governance but these guys have had some good days in the past and the nature of all industries such as this are that there will be inevitable downturns.

Slam Dunk and Nice Option.

Leadership must come from the leaders, that's why they're incumbent.

My point about the stats ( and you've clearly missed it ) was that it's a symptom of an industry in peril, an industry that's now highly likely to contract and when that happens the peripheral industries, vets, farriers, float companies, jockeys, trainers....blah blah....everyone suffers, except those at head office who're clearly devoid of ideas but who'll just take a large salary and adopt your very same, but objectionable, indifferent and callous attitude.

Take your point Midget but my attitude certainly isn't indifferent and callous. I have skin in the game and had 1 good result and 1 poor result at the K1 so I am certainly not indifferent. My point noted the pi** poor platform that is being provided but I was merely balancing this with the fact that prices are cyclical.

52 minutes ago, Midget said:

Slam Dunk and Nice Option.

Leadership must come from the leaders, that's why they're incumbent.

My point about the stats ( and you've clearly missed it ) was that it's a symptom of an industry in peril, an industry that's now highly likely to contract and when that happens the peripheral industries, vets, farriers, float companies, jockeys, trainers....blah blah....everyone suffers, except those at head office who're clearly devoid of ideas but who'll just take a large salary and adopt your very same, but objectionable, indifferent and callous attitude.

H'mm now I remember certain things. Ten years ago when it was fashionable to promote the line "pay peanuts you get monkeys" a racecafe poster who had a restaraunt was all in favour of these salaries as that what was needed to get good staff. If anyone pointed out the excessive salaries were non productive they were labelled, jealous, losers, nutcases etc. which was an actual objectionable,indifferent, callous attitude.

3 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Blaming all the time "head office" is rather illogical. It would be far better hearing suggestions for new policy or direct reasons as to why there has been a downturn.

Quite often its those who moan the most that are the ones who won't listen and don't have any new ideas.

But the policy and initiative is supposed to come from head office, that's what they are paid for. 

23 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

So I thought the meeting on the weekend was supposed to be the industry uprising and uniting... seems that never happened and the roadshow still runs on...its been very very quiet since the weekend.

perhaps another carriage was added to the 'gravy train' !

2 hours ago, slam dunk said:

H'mm now I remember certain things. Ten years ago when it was fashionable to promote the line "pay peanuts you get monkeys" a racecafe poster who had a restaraunt was all in favour of these salaries as that what was needed to get good staff. If anyone pointed out the excessive salaries were non productive they were labelled, jealous, losers, nutcases etc. which was an actual objectionable,indifferent, callous attitude.

It's a bit like me employing a chef Slum Dick.

I can employ a very good chef for say $75 an hour, or a very bad one for $30 an hour.

Where's the value Slam Dick ? The answer is of course that it depends what you want, or what you're trying to achieve.

And isn't the problem at head office that one chef at $75 is not enough, they seem to want one at $100, plus two at $ 75, to do a job one decent chef could do.

Now pop back under your bridge P.

4 hours ago, Nice Option said:

Take your point Midget but my attitude certainly isn't indifferent and callous. I have skin in the game and had 1 good result and 1 poor result at the K1 so I am certainly not indifferent. My point noted the pi** poor platform that is being provided but I was merely balancing this with the fact that prices are cyclical.

I agree. Leadership is usually a part of both the symptom and cause of these cycles imo.

2017 Select Sale Day 1 and 2 Statistics

2017 SELECT SALE DAY 1 & 2 2016 SELECT SALE DAY 1 & 2 2015 SELECT SALE DAY 1 & 2
AGGREGATE $14,020,000 $19,245,200
$13,309,500
AVERAGE $47,687 $60,710
$50,036
MEDIAN $40,000 $50,000 $36,750
CLEARANCE 71% 79% 74%
CATALOGUED 455 443 407
SOLD 294 317 266
  Lot 728 B.F Per Incant x Grable - $300,000 Lot 827 B.C O'Reilly x Darcey Bussell - $300,000 Lot 610 B.C Tartan Bearer x Pink Pier - $525,000

23 minutes ago, Louise said:

Ouch^_^

After the Premiere sale is anybody surprised. This has historically been the sale where NZ trainers operate to fill owners orders along with a few specs as well. I said it earlier but will repeat the Festival sale will be yet another disaster for the majority of vendors. ROI's will compete closely to those of horse owners in NZ IMHO:(

19 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Well all right SD.

Give us your(specific) reasons for the downturn and the things that the run of the mill NZ stakeholder is doing wrong and what he or she can do to fix it.

And most importantly exactly how these fixes can be funded

Don't be shy with your ideas now because there are plenty of people here who can clearly(and are desperately keen to) learn from someone like you 

I didn't realise how lucky we are to have such wonderful capable people running NZRB and NZTR.

2 hours ago, Belinda said:

Also a poor result from last year's RTR sale has pinhookers either unable to afford to buy or not confident in a reasonable return for their money

Plus NZB has probably reigned-in their lines of credit to many of those pin-hookers, as well as buyers at the present Sales who have probably received easy credit.

1 hour ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Well all right SD.

Give us your(specific) reasons for the downturn and the things that the run of the mill NZ stakeholder is doing wrong and what he or she can do to fix it.

And most importantly exactly how these fixes can be funded

Don't be shy with your ideas now because there are plenty of people here who can clearly(and are desperately keen to) learn from someone like you 

I didn't realise how lucky we are to have such wonderful capable people running NZRB and NZTR.

I never claimed to know the reasons why just as I couldn't work out why last years sales were so good. Sarcasm is not required.

For what its worth I'll give a few thoughts.

Racing involves different principles. Just because someone is successful in their own business isn't a guarantee they are the ones that can fix racing.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

If its not broke don't fix it.

Keep it simple.

Don't rely on income from gambling turnover.

If you can't beat them join them.

Get rid of bull sh***ers

Just now, slam dunk said:

I never claimed to know the reasons why just as I couldn't work out why last years sales were so good. Sarcasm is not required.

For what its worth I'll give a few thoughts.

Racing involves different principles. Just because someone is successful in their own business isn't a guarantee they are the ones that can fix racing.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

If its not broke don't fix it.

Keep it simple.

Don't rely on income from gambling turnover.

If you can't beat them join them.

Get rid of bull sh***ers

Sounds exactly like the issues that are afflicting NZRB and NZTR

But your previous post said that blaming 'head office' is not the way to go.  Who do you mean by 'head office'?