RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
what a post

hrnz news website

I see 5 of the latest 8 stories  on the hrnz website are about Australian harness,4 about the all stars.  Is it not about time they had a bit more local content,    I was watching the Greg O'Connor piece on the galloping trainer e j Rayner. very interesting.Why cant we have something similar in written form on the hrnz website,say in chapters over  4 weeks.  Who knows,may include something the majority can relate too. Why not let the hrnz minute lady  turn into a 5 minute lady and have a crack at bringing us interviews about participants that are not so much in the limelight,or participants that were and no longer are, or  up and comers. Something which tells us what makes them tick,or who helps them.etc.. Owners ,trainers,drivers.breeders,punters.She could just do it at the races,Nothing fancy,No silly questions. Who knows, I think the hrnz site should be more interesting.

Your post makes me wonder about the publicity machine of HRNZ.

I made a comment on another thread about how I would like to see Purdon's victories at the weekend on the mainstream news. To me, it would seem an easy sell as the netballers and cricketers are playing Oz at this time. The public lap up anything over the Aussies. I wonder if HRNZ get onto the news stations and inform them of the success. In their defence it may be a very difficult thing cracking the TV sports news.

It would be great to get Lazarus and others into the public eye, like Christian Cullen was, as it would give Harness Racing profile and maybe lead to more punters, more owners, more people on track and lead to greater turnover. (do not laugh, it has to happen somehow and every little bit helps)

Gallops can't offer the superstars we have like Lazarus, Dream About Me, Ultimate Machete who dominate here and overseas or the possible match-ups we have like Marcoola V Monbet. Look at the interest in Federer and Nadal, it beats the mundane any day. It just needs to be capitalised upon.

The All Stars are already somewhat known in the harness racing industry! They deserve to be promoted nation-wide and should be the vehicle used to get harness racing back into the mainstream, 

Harness Racing has to be put in the public's conscious. Now would be a good time to attempt it.

It is almost impossible for sports outside of rugby, league, cricket and netball to get any sort of decent coverage with tv. The sports journalists do their best but the producers don't want to cover so called minor sports. In 2013 Jake Lewis won the European Junior Cup Championship in motor cycling held over 8 races with 36 starters from 18 different countries from all over the world and received about 10 seconds of tv time on tv1. Two journalists arranged quite a lot of filming of him from overseas and on his return home but the producer didn't want to know. Tv3 were not interested at all.

Racing is in the same boat and has the added disadvantage in that the media are run by lefties and greenies who would like to see racing stopped altogether.

It does seem to be the case with minor sports - there is a guy called Peter Michael who has won the world speed skating champs 7 times and I can't remember seeing anything on the mainstream sports news about him.  Although it is possible that I missed it.

There have been times when leading horses have made the mainstream news - remember the time the town of Morrinsville had a parade for their adopted racing superstar Courage Under Fire?  That made the news.  But they are few and far between.  

The Waikato Times used to have quite a good racing section and when Anthony Corban was racing editor there it also had quite good harness racing articles.

17 minutes ago, Overcheck said:

Racing is in the same boat and has the added disadvantage in that the media are run by lefties and greenies who would like to see racing stopped altogether.

I would say the media is run by dollar signs.

Lefties and Greenies? I disagree. I can't for the life of me see how they would interfere with the sports news - rugby would be gone if that was the case.

2 hours ago, Overcheck said:

It is almost impossible for sports outside of rugby, league, cricket and netball to get any sort of decent coverage with tv. The sports journalists do their best but the producers don't want to cover so called minor sports. In 2013 Jake Lewis won the European Junior Cup Championship in motor cycling held over 8 races with 36 starters from 18 different countries from all over the world and received about 10 seconds of tv time on tv1. Two journalists arranged quite a lot of filming of him from overseas and on his return home but the producer didn't want to know. Tv3 were not interested at all.

And the annoying thing for me is that if Sonny Bill Williams grandmother so much as sneezed it would be all over the sports news how he was worried about her health.

34 minutes ago, lamour said:

And the annoying thing for me is that if Sonny Bill Williams grandmother so much as sneezed it would be all over the sports news how he was worried about her health.

Sneezed you say.Give me time and dates and i will try and beat the tv1/3 deadline for tonite's news.This is gonna be big.

8 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Your post makes me wonder about the publicity machine of HRNZ.

I made a comment on another thread about how I would like to see Purdon's victories at the weekend on the mainstream news. To me, it would seem an easy sell as the netballers and cricketers are playing Oz at this time. The public lap up anything over the Aussies. I wonder if HRNZ get onto the news stations and inform them of the success. In their defence it may be a very difficult thing cracking the TV sports news.

It would be great to get Lazarus and others into the public eye, like Christian Cullen was, as it would give Harness Racing profile and maybe lead to more punters, more owners, more people on track and lead to greater turnover. (do not laugh, it has to happen somehow and every little bit helps)

Gallops can't offer the superstars we have like Lazarus, Dream About Me, Ultimate Machete who dominate here and overseas or the possible match-ups we have like Marcoola V Monbet. Look at the interest in Federer and Nadal, it beats the mundane any day. It just needs to be capitalised upon.

The All Stars are already somewhat known in the harness racing industry! They deserve to be promoted nation-wide and should be the vehicle used to get harness racing back into the mainstream, 

Harness Racing has to be put in the public's conscious. Now would be a good time to attempt it.

Completely agree.  In fact, after noticing the complete absence of any mention of Purdons, Lazarus et al on Sunday night's news, I took the liberty of emailing precisely this point to TVNZ.  Unsurprisingly, I've had no response...

Yet it's hardly only tv or radio at fault here.  Take, for example, Chch's newspaper, The Press.  Located in a region that's not only the home of NZ harness racing, but also one where harness is far more popular than the gallops.  That, you would think, would encourage any sane editor to balance its coverage in that direction.  But you would be wrong.  Just for fun, I decided to track the Press racing coverage in the 4 weeks leading up to cup week last year.  Guess what?  During those 4 weeks, there were a total of 67 articles about the gallops, compared with just 12 on the trots!  Of those 12, a grand total of 4 were about the Cup --- compared to, for example, 7 about the 2000 Guineas.  I could go on and on, but you get the general idea.

Nor has it improved since cup week.  Most days there's one or more articles about NI gallops by some bloke called Tim Ryan and precisely nothing on harness from anywhere.  It makes me wonder if HRNZ aren't missing the boat here --- surely it can't be that hard to point out to The Press editor, repeatedly if necessary, the folly of what her newspaper is doing.  Then again, maybe they are, and she just doesn't get it (she is Australian, after all...)

3 minutes ago, Basil said:

In fact, after noticing the complete absence of any mention of Purdons, Lazarus et al on Sunday night's news, I took the liberty of emailing precisely this point to TVNZ.  Unsurprisingly, I've had no response...

HRNZ need to hand the video clips, notes and ideas straight to TVNZ or TV3 or The Crowd Goes Wild.

One of the best ways to get someone to do something is to provide all the information they need to make life easier for them.

The Crowd Goes Wild, being a 30-minute show and very adept at getting at the Aussies, might get on the bandwagon of the Kiwi pacers and trotters destroying the Aussies.

Plus it attracts a diverse and most likely young audience.

15 minutes ago, Basil said:

During those 4 weeks, there were a total of 67 articles about the gallops, compared with just 12 on the trots! 

Strange.

Harness Racing is becoming a little insular in its press. All seems to on HRNZ web already reaching the converted. However, maybe there is no need for racing in the regular papers anymore as one can get more information from the HRNZ website. Mmmm....maybe the way to attract new racegoers is through new electronic mediums.

Just had a look at the hrnz site and read a story about the white horse tutoko kid who won on sunday. Good article. The type of which catches the eye and personally I enjoy reading. Having stories like this about the grass roots of the industry where the bulk of the industry operate and to which the majority can relate too is what I think most of us would like to see more of.    As far as the coverage of the all star success at the weekend on mainstream tv goes,i think it unrealistic to expect anything.    Racing at melton is boring,especially if you get a favourite settling in front,  Any  casual racegoer on sunday would have enjoyed the white horse winning as it was different.    If you are going to get those top horses covered on mainstream tv it would have to be a race where it actually was a race,not a procession. Coverage which catches the eye is what racing should be trying to promote as much as the top races.

9 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

HRNZ send news content daily to all print, television, Internet and radio news outlets

Good on them and I not surprised they do despite what I wrote. Must be a hard nut to crack.

10 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

If my sources are correct there has been interest from some television platforms on the success of Tutoko Kid on Sunday and the story behind him. 

but not the Purdon runners? Instead, Tutoko Kid.......tis the way of the world.

It's a bizarre old system, the world of news. The efforts of people like Mark and Nat and even Dexter, were they in a different field would be hailed by all in sundry instead they would rather report about race falls and negativity. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

32 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

It's a bizarre old system, the world of news. The efforts of people like Mark and Nat and even Dexter, were they in a different field would be hailed by all in sundry instead they would rather report about race falls and negativity. It makes no sense whatsoever. 

Don't think it is that bizzare at all.  When the jockey in aussie ran his rivals off recently did you not want to see it.   Bit like the fella at the hokitika gallops who miscounted the rounds,dont know about you but I thought that was worth a look.   Bit like watching a race where the commentator comes out with something strange or fumbles the names or is effected by alcohol.  You would watch that. Or a driver falling out and getting dragged then recovering.people are more likely to want to watch that. than a replay of a horse running down the straight at melton well clear of the field.  Give them what they want,any exposure like that is good for the sport.   As far as reporting in mainstream media on  drug positives by high profile trainers,Whats wrong with that,they do the same in other sports. In cases like that you turn bad publicity into good publicity by having industry leaders demonstrating in their comments that nobody is above the law.      What about the  colours dextor dunn drives in. Don't know myself,but is that not some sort of charity.   Get some sort of story  of some kid getting a dream trip or something like that,that pulls on the heart strings that promotes both his charity and the sports profiles.  Tv  and papers loves those stories. Give them what they want. The stories are there,just look in the right places.            While I'm at it,are the all stars associated with a charity.I have not read anything. If not then I'm sure they could do themselves and a worthy charity some good by getting one.  They have the money behind them to do a lot of good. Something to do with kids is always a winner.

7 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

Very true.

We live in an age where ' outstanding success' is humdrum as access to information is abundant and 'success' is everywhere so it doesn't inspire the masses..

People like novelty things such as Tutoko Kid or controversy, like metal lined whips. WAP could be right, maybe any publicity is good publicity.

From my experience of the next generation, I know for sure the one they don't like and hate about all else is the same old thing, even it is successful. They want to be wowed.

I think the news system is bizarre and I would add frustrating. Must be difficult to get harness racing out there to a new audience but maybe that is the challenge..

I also think harness racing lacks a wow factor on the race track 90% of the time for the regular person. Does the TAB need to grow some big balls and make it exciting by offering larger pools?  People I know,  don't even want to win thousands in lotto because it is not enough!

Harness is special because of the cultural aspects it can provide in this modern age. Family days out at grass tracks are a definite attraction to people (get those entry costs down please) which creates exposure for many. Christmas at the races is excellent at many venues. Maybe Addington needs to expand its horizons a bit more. I saw on the galloping forum that someone said they have market days at the track on race days. That may get people along.

Nothing new from me that no one has done before or is not doing. I would say harness racing seems to be in more capable hands than our galloping code!

On 1/02/2017 at 9:45 PM, what a post said:

Don't think it is that bizzare at all.  When the jockey in aussie ran his rivals off recently did you not want to see it.   Bit like the fella at the hokitika gallops who miscounted the rounds,dont know about you but I thought that was worth a look.   Bit like watching a race where the commentator comes out with something strange or fumbles the names or is effected by alcohol.  You would watch that. Or a driver falling out and getting dragged then recovering.people are more likely to want to watch that. than a replay of a horse running down the straight at melton well clear of the field.  Give them what they want,any exposure like that is good for the sport.   As far as reporting in mainstream media on  drug positives by high profile trainers,Whats wrong with that,they do the same in other sports. In cases like that you turn bad publicity into good publicity by having industry leaders demonstrating in their comments that nobody is above the law.      What about the  colours dextor dunn drives in. Don't know myself,but is that not some sort of charity.   Get some sort of story  of some kid getting a dream trip or something like that,that pulls on the heart strings that promotes both his charity and the sports profiles.  Tv  and papers loves those stories. Give them what they want. The stories are there,just look in the right places.            While I'm at it,are the all stars associated with a charity.I have not read anything. If not then I'm sure they could do themselves and a worthy charity some good by getting one.  They have the money behind them to do a lot of good. Something to do with kids is always a winner.

This is what's known as the trivialisation of news --- emphasize the lowest common denominator and ignore excellence.  Applied to racing, it's no way to attract new converts.

As for focusing on grass roots stuff, all that does is preach to the converted.

You're comments are massively misplaced Basil.

It's a balancing act of covering the grass roots and giving recognition to the little guys propping up the industry, just as much as it should be about reaching new and larger audiences. Good luck with the latter when the industries commercial manager seems to enjoy harness racing about as much as he does hard work.

He has whittled down the national harness racing publication to a monthly. Even though the greater industry has stopped subscribing and if he ran an industry survey and listened for a change instead of telling everyone else what they want, maybe he would get that through his bald head. That it's old news by time of arrival, and looks like its been put together with Lazarus' left hoof.

There is more than enough time in the day and week with the resources they have to produce something weekly like Mike Grainger use too. Doesn't have to be the flashy, glossy publication it is (not) now.

But lets continue to employ people who spend more time promoting their own life after racing initiatives then they do the industry they are paid to promote.

When was the last time HRNZ ever utilised their Facebook page to communicate race fields for the weekend?

Why is the marketing team in the office on any given Monday/Tuesday but have the night off at times the racing happens? Case in point Auckland Cup. Yes it is New years Eve. But it is also the arguably the second or third biggest night of Harness Racing in New Zealand. When does anything appear about the Auckland Cup winner on social media (which is widely acknowledged as your best bet for reaching new audiences in any media platform) ? Lunchtime the next day.

How many #HRNZmilestones do we really need before even those converted get put off? Haven't seen anything fresh, but don't expect too either when we waste the best author in the industry writing Top 10 pieces. Top 10 fires? Honestly? Id rather read about the Top 10 Thai restaurants in South Auckland.

It's not hard. These people wouldn't be employed in any other industry then our own so why when we have a 35 million dollar budget do we sit back and accept mediocrity?

The Tutoko Kid story someone mentions is great, until you realise its slightly self serving and an easy write up for a punter whose father and mother pre trained the horse.

What A Post you are on the money and should be sending in your CV to Lincoln Rd at pace.

Wouldn't need any qualifications to supersede the current crop, just a family link and an ego.

11 hours ago, Basil said:

This is what's known as the trivialisation of news --- emphasize the lowest common denominator and ignore excellence.  Applied to racing, it's no way to attract new converts.

As for focusing on grass roots stuff, all that does is preach to the converted.

So you would continue to push for coverage of what the mainstream media does not bother showing, while ignoring the stuff that they do occasionally show.  Mate your on a winner there(not).  I like the play on your name HRNzzzzzzzzzzzzz

15 hours ago, what a post said:

So you would continue to push for coverage of what the mainstream media does not bother showing, while ignoring the stuff that they do occasionally show.  Mate your on a winner there(not).  I like the play on your name HRNzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think this is part of the problem. Newspapers and TV news media are having  trouble producing content that people want , hence the move to Social media. Mainstream media are mostly producing articles for people with the attention span of a bowel of jelly. The day of the investigative journalist has gone. There has to be a mix of articles to appeal to a wider audience of readers/viewers featuring not only the All Stars ( who rightly deserve top billing ) ,but also the other people in the industry.  The Tutoko Kid story was a good example of that.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:24 PM, HRNzzzzzzzz said:

It's a balancing act of covering the grass roots and giving recognition to the little guys propping up the industry, just as much as it should be about reaching new and larger audiences. Good luck with the latter when the industries commercial manager seems to enjoy harness racing about as much as he does hard work.

He has whittled down the national harness racing publication to a monthly. Even though the greater industry has stopped subscribing and if he ran an industry survey and listened for a change instead of telling everyone else what they want, maybe he would get that through his bald head. That it's old news by time of arrival, and looks like its been put together with Lazarus' left hoof.

There is more than enough time in the day and week with the resources they have to produce something weekly like Mike Grainger use too. Doesn't have to be the flashy, glossy publication it is (not) now.

But lets continue to employ people who spend more time promoting their own life after racing initiatives then they do the industry they are paid to promote.

When was the last time HRNZ ever utilised their Facebook page to communicate race fields for the weekend?

Why is the marketing team in the office on any given Monday/Tuesday but have the night off at times the racing happens? Case in point Auckland Cup. Yes it is New years Eve. But it is also the arguably the second or third biggest night of Harness Racing in New Zealand. When does anything appear about the Auckland Cup winner on social media (which is widely acknowledged as your best bet for reaching new audiences in any media platform) ? Lunchtime the next day.

How many #HRNZmilestones do we really need before even those converted get put off? Haven't seen anything fresh, but don't expect too either when we waste the best author in the industry writing Top 10 pieces. Top 10 fires? Honestly? Id rather read about the Top 10 Thai restaurants in South Auckland.

It's not hard. These people wouldn't be employed in any other industry then our own so why when we have a 35 million dollar budget do we sit back and accept mediocrity?

The Tutoko Kid story someone mentions is great, until you realise its slightly self serving and an easy write up for a punter whose father and mother pre trained the horse.

What A Post you are on the money and should be sending in your CV to Lincoln Rd at pace.

Wouldn't need any qualifications to supersede the current crop, just a family link and an ego.

Well said HRNzzzzzz.....Marketing has never been their strongpoint, but they are not alone there. While they continue to employ people who either "know someone" or have the right name, rather than experienced professionals, don't expect much change. Andrew Morris used to handle "communications" until they decided he could be a handicapper........:rolleyes:

On 3/02/2017 at 6:24 PM, HRNzzzzzzzz said:

[snip a large amount of fantasy]

Sorry, but you're dreaming.  'Grass roots' coverage will only ever appeal to the grass roots.  It's this kind of small town thinking that's forced racing into the backwater it's become.

looking at the hrnz website this week there were a good balance of stories to be read. The story about the girl driving her first winner was a reminder of the good feeling a win can bring, while the stakes increase at Auckland sounded good,but we have all seen talk of that before which only partly delivers, but it does indicate the atc  seems on the right track .  Watched the box seat part which can be viewed on the hrnz website,personally I thought it started off with a top piece on lazarus and its connections ,but then it turned into a total bore when it had 47 minutes on aussie racing and only the final 8 minutes on nz.  Reminded me why I normally give it a miss.           

2 minutes ago, Basil said:

Sorry, but you're dreaming.  'Grass roots' coverage will only ever appeal to the grass roots.  It's this kind of small town thinking that's forced racing into the backwater it's become.

Basil,i understand where you are coming from, but completely disagree with you.   The reason harness racing used to be strong was because the strength in numbers at the "grass roots" level.    You have completely got things upside down in my opinion,but hey I am at the grass roots level,as is nearly everyone I know whether they be those with hands on or punters. I know what they talk about,i think maybe we just move in different circles.

Don't know whether others agree,but just had a look at the hrnz website and found the stories on their video bit interesting. The box seat,2 minute lady,breeding bit all doing a good job in their segments. Even news stories on website have been good. All  highlighting the success of those from all levels and regions. Hope it continues.