RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nice Option

Steve Davis

57 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

On one occasion he tipped a Bruce  Wallace runner at Avondale  I backed,  that  was $ 70 on opening on course . When I got back  home the last was yet to run  and he was talking the horse up and telling everyone to " just get on "    It bolted in  but he had  talked it down to $ 14, the stable swore privately that  it wasn't them. I wasn't happy but he did the job bloody well that day for punters, just not me !

Paying $70 on opening.  On opening there was probably around $200 in the win pool.  Wouldn't take much more than a $10 bet to drop its price to $14.

Was still paying around $ 70 mark 15 -  20 minutes before the race, that was what surprised me as it took only 10 minutes to get home and was tumbling.   Did hear from a  friend with close connections  that poor old Steve copped blame as they were not responsible. 

7 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Seems you have a personal grudge against him... he is a colorful guy... has a sense of humor and is without doubt an outstanding auctioneer... I think I can safely say you are clearly in the minority here as to your views on him... but thats fine too.

I do agree with the auctioneer part. And his "personality" suits it a lot better than being a Trackside presenter.

22 hours ago, STRAIGHT STRIKE said:

MiDeBo  There are a certain amount of no so bright punters out there who would be easily influenced by Davis's  so called certainties , specials , etc  when he is telling people to "just get on " , " get a bank overdraft " , " easy money "  ," this is better than bank interest ", mortgage the house" ....and all the other thoroughly convincing terms he blurbs out repeatedly in labelling his so called certainties .

Think about it when Sefe  Taulu  Alofa  from South Auckland is having a bet .

How is that Davis's problem if a bloke who may not know alot about the game has a bet?? I dont know alot about the stockmarkets so i stay away from them. Don't know anything about the Pokie machines so i stay away from them. Understand throughbreds so i have a punt. Surely that isnt Steve Davis's problem if he likes something that gets beat and someone listening in a tab be it Remuera, Petone or Mangere or Eltham for that matter punts it beyond their financial means?? if thats the case then shut the whole country down because there are alot more people out there spending money on takeaways, cigarettes, alcohol, pokie machines etc etc which are beyond their means than there are people listening to steve davis's tips on trackside

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

bottom line is if I had a horse for sale who would I want as its auctioneer?

Davis wins every time

Just seen him at his very best--undoubtedly helped by 2 parties bidding who "stalled" initially trying to get a steal. Lot 1065, Burgundy/Streaming filly. Hard to get started. Went from 15K to 28K in 1K bids! then 30, 32.5,35,37.5,40,45,50,55,60 and ended up going to David Ellis for 145K (a party of 2 couples were the other protagonists). Great action in a sale that initially looked like being another passing. Needed all 3 (Davis, Ellis and the quartet to make it happen though)

2 hours ago, Racing84 said:

If someone went on tele and told everyone to buy up large on stocks, mortgage your house, just get on... and then it completely tanked... there would be severe repercussions.

Geez some of you guys really need to get out more...he is THE BEST in the business and you still want to nit pick at him...its a bit sad.

On 2/3/2017 at 4:59 PM, scooby3051 said:

Geez some of you guys really need to get out more...he is THE BEST in the business and you still want to nit pick at him...its a bit sad.

Nit pick?  Do you think what I said is factually incorrect?

On 2/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, Racing84 said:

If someone went on tele and told everyone to buy up large on stocks, mortgage your house, just get on... and then it completely tanked... there would be severe repercussions.

You are a half wit.  His job as presenter is to get people interested and punting.  His job as an Auctioneer is to get people interested and bidding.  He is bloody good at both in my opinion.  Your average stockbroker's job is to get people buying shares and there are too many examples to list of Companies that the brokers were flogging for all they were worth that went belly up (Feltex and Pike River being two that spring to mind) 

Caveat emptor

What's the need to call me a half wit?  You don't know me.  All you've done by name calling is made yourself look to be of limited intelligence.

I thought RaceCafe would be encouraging people to contribute but it seems not - some people can say or do whatever they like on here, including abusing people, with no repercussions, while others get banned for the same.  It has very much a "look after your mates" approach - quite pathetic really.  Good luck stopping the industry going down the shitter - with attitudes toward others like some have on here, it's really no surprise it's in such a bad state.  I think I'll find another racing forum with a more open-minded attitude to contribute to now (which, no doubt, most of you won't give a shit about... again, no wonder the industry is in such a bad way).

On 2/2/2017 at 2:49 PM, scooby3051 said:

Seems you have a personal grudge against him... he is a colorful guy... has a sense of humor and is without doubt an outstanding auctioneer... I think I can safely say you are clearly in the minority here as to your views on him... but thats fine too.

Why does everything boil down to a personal grudge. In any forum, court case, parliamentary debate there are what are known as devil advocates. If you go over the top its only logical someone will balance it up.

As for Steve Davis he may be all everyone says but my gripe would be he gets bids readily flowing in rapid fire response then all of a sudden for no reason stops as if shot goes all quiet and halts the momentum. The first sale I attended was 1963 so I have heard them all. My vote to best would go to Peter Kelly by a mile.

35 minutes ago, Racing84 said:

What's the need to call me a half wit?  You don't know me.  All you've done by name calling is made yourself look to be of limited intelligence.

I thought RaceCafe would be encouraging people to contribute but it seems not - some people can say or do whatever they like on here, including abusing people, with no repercussions, while others get banned for the same.  It has very much a "look after your mates" approach - quite pathetic really.  Good luck stopping the industry going down the shitter - with attitudes toward others like some have on here, it's really no surprise it's in such a bad state.  I think I'll find another racing forum with a more open-minded attitude to contribute to now (which, no doubt, most of you won't give a shit about... again, no wonder the industry is in such a bad way).

Well over you go to the other side with countless pages of Rod and Thomas arguing over whether blinkers make a difference.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

3 hours ago, Racing84 said:

Don't take it personally R84.  I was not intending to insult you but it was just not the sharpest comment that's all.  The presenters/auctioneers/stock brokers or whatever are salesmen and they need to engender enthusiasm for whatever it is they are peddling.  Steve Davis' Monday afternoon greyhound stint must be a tough one and all he is doing is trying to liven it up a little and get people talking and - more importantly - betting.

I'm not sure what Slam Funk is on about by comparing Steve Davis ( a great Auctioneer and TV frontman) with Peter Kelly ( much the same but from another era). Next thing SD, you'll be comparing Sunline and Black Caviar with Phar Lap ! Different times, era and conditions. In short SD, I don't think we are comparing Steve D with Peter Kelly. By the way, did you "ever" attend a Peter Kelly horse auction when Wrightson did the Trentham auctions? If not, how can you compare Kelly and Davis as auctioneers ? Davis was/is not a race caller.

I go to work extra early, and extra late for the 2 days of premiere selling, so I can watch the coverage on Sky, an auctioneer must be able to gain / keep people's attention, love listening to Steve Davis, and far prefer him on Trackside over any of the others, at least he can give interesting and accurate info on the breeding, and I haven't heard him prattling on about a filly as "him / he"  unlike several of the others.

We are a hard to please lot. When certain  presenters are so wooden they'd make the Thunderbird's cast  look animated, the cry is for  more personality. Then we get someone who has heaps of personality and tries to make  a routine mid week borefest  a bit more entertaining and they are a clown and over the top.   Peter Kelly was a wonderful commentator and auctioneer but dry as a wooden chip.   If he was on a  radio show these days  we'd be poking the borax at HIM . Those with long memories will remember the long running  efforts of Keith Haub to get him to tell just ONE joke on Saturday morning racing show.   Great man he was,  but hardly Mr. Excitement. 

1 hour ago, Kane T said:

Course you do. He's your mate and Tom's your son. It's only human.

That's right Chris Wood is biased.  His son Tom gets picked up by the Singapore Turf Club to do commentary at one of the world's best venues and Steve Davis is the only NZ auctioneer working for Magic Millions.  That Chris Wood must have some influence getting his mates those top jobs eh?

On 2/7/2017 at 8:06 PM, pete said:

Well over you go to the other side with countless pages of Rod and Thomas arguing over whether blinkers make a difference.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Pete Its been going on for longer than War and Peace. I'm not sure who is the stupidest. Thomas for his ridiculous racing/punting theories or Rod for continually arguing with him over them.

5 minutes ago, Newmarket said:

Pete Its been going on for longer than War and Peace. I'm not sure who is the stupidest. Thomas for his ridiculous racing/punting theories or Rod for continually arguing with him over them.

Quite amusing really. I have a look from time to time. Talk about two implacable forces. No way will one of them ever convince the other.

Having said that Tommy does come across as being a little unhinged :rolleyes: