RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nice Option

Steve Davis

Firstly, Steve does inject some decent humour and energy into the auction process and this is often warranted given that he does keep potential bidder on the end of the string. 

I do however take issue with his incessant post auction commentary where, among other comments he notes it an 'absolute steal.... ' a dead set gift'....and these comments on sales around the 200k mark. That's a fair amount of cash to depart with and does anyone find that a bit patronizing to both the buyer and the seller?  

6 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Steve Davis is the consummate auctioneer. 

Would prefer he was on the rostrum if I was selling and he wasn't if I was buying.  ;)

and a wonderful trackside presenter as well, can't understand why he cops flack , the guy oozes personality and character.

Joe Wall's emotional farewell /////?  Great man who was long over due to exit The Podium.

The Tim  and Margaret Carter "off spring" Morgan

is moulded in Joe's style...fantastic kid.Huge future.

Agree with you Ted, Steve Davis is world class.

He is Simply the best.

Pauses,smiles,varies his patter.

Steve Knows his clients.Relaxed.Thorough with his pedigrees.
Yet...Have a look on Page 18 of The Premier Catalogue.

Because Steve is a contractor he is not listed There.

Why ??

The four Premier Sales auctioneers were:
Joe Walls, Mike Kneebone, Morgan Carter and Steve Davis.

My point is:

as a vendor or as a  buyer I  like to know in advance which auctioneer is assigned

to each set of twenty lots.

I learnt this from Maurice Grogan ( Blandford Lodge  and Sir Jack) as a kid at Trentham.

Make sure The Auctioneer has seen your stock,even if you are at the lower end of the market.

Tell The auctioneer you are in the market to buy a horse and to watch for your finger.

Sir Steve has done this many times for our family over the years.

As has Alf Kneebone's wayward son, Michael.
Either one will hopefully be rostered as auctioneer for LOT 773 on Thursday.

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:01 PM, Nice Option said:

Firstly, Steve does inject some decent humour and energy into the auction process and this is often warranted given that he does keep potential bidder on the end of the string. 

I do however take issue with his incessant post auction commentary where, among other comments he notes it an 'absolute steal.... ' a dead set gift'....and these comments on sales around the 200k mark. That's a fair amount of cash to depart with and does anyone find that a bit patronizing to both the buyer and the seller?  

I hear what you are saying Nice Option , the post auction comments which are to be compared to an "Arfur Daley" Used Car Salesman  are certainly not needed ,  my thoughts are that Davis thinks he is a bit of a funny guy .

While hosting  Trackside one day he commented for ages on a Bosson ridden Baker /Forsman  trained runner suggesting  and commenting to the effect that you should " just take a mortgage out on the house"  ...." phone the bank manager now  organise an overdraft " ..." just get on at any cost " ..." this is easy money " , the horse  finished  a well beaten 7th  and then he comes back and says " get on next time he is a certainty ", i actually followed the horse ( i didn't bet on the horse , i only occasionally have a multi ) and he never did win a race in the following  4 starts  . Now there would be the odd punter/desperado out there listening and taking notice of Davis spending money they don't have .

Certainly don't need his " funny "  personal advice  on how to obtain money through mortgages or otherwise to bet on his "certainties"  , the same applies to his thoughts on how a $300k yearling is a steal , a bargain or once saying to a purchaser " you should be wearing a balaklava",  cheeky ,not needed and unprofessional .

27 minutes ago, STRAIGHT STRIKE said:

I hear what you are saying Nice Option , the post auction comments which are to be compared to an "Arfur Daley" Used Car Salesman  are certainly not needed ,  my thoughts are that Davis thinks he is a bit of a funny guy .

While hosting  Trackside one day he commented for ages on a Bosson ridden Baker /Forsman  trained runner suggesting  and commenting to the effect that you should " just take a mortgage out on the house"  ...." phone the bank manager now  organise an overdraft " ..." just get on at any cost " ..." this is easy money " , the horse  finished  a well beaten 7th  and then he comes back and says " get on next time he is a certainty ", i actually followed the horse ( i didn't bet on the horse , i only occasionally have a multi ) and he never did win a race in the following  4 starts  . Now there would be the odd punter/desperado out there listening and taking notice of Davis spending money they don't have .

Certainly don't need his " funny "  personal advice  on how to obtain money through mortgages or otherwise to bet on his "certainties"  , the same applies to his thoughts on how a $300k yearling is a steal , a bargain or once saying to a purchaser " you should be wearing a balaklava",  cheeky ,not needed and unprofessional .

Like I say SS give Sir Peter a ring.  I am sure your concerns will see Davis banished immediately if not sooner.

Don't forget to get onto Gerry Harvey and the Magic Millions crew too cos they seem to appreciate him as well. 

With your advice I am sure the crisis situation will be remedied quick smart.

49 minutes ago, STRAIGHT STRIKE said:

Get invited to many parties SS?

5 hours ago, STRAIGHT STRIKE said:

Geez somebody got out of the wrong side of the bed......:D

Gotta have a little variety I reckon otherwise it's morbid repition and SD delivers that. On the other hand I know he's been around forever and knows a lot of people in the industry etc, etc, etc but I think Joe Walls auctioneering style is morbid monotone. IMHO.

He loves throwing out a special on Monday at the Palmy greyhounds - "I've found one people, just get on"

Then after his special turns out to be a duffer, as it usually does,"Turn the page people, I keep telling you, this isn't an exact science, turn the page".

Be careful what you say here Racing 84 , you will be shot down  because there are many bias opinions from individuals who think Davis is the " funny boy " of T/Side with his certainties you mentioned , then we have him repeating himself time and time again , noticed when he says  two  ! he often repeats that several times .....much like a band member checking his mic before statring a concert performance .

Now just sit back and wait for the rap i will get for this from Davis's bias group .

9 minutes ago, MiDeBo Racing said:

Think the real lost causes are the ones actually listening to presenters advice around punting..... Like Steve Davis, colourful character. seems the few that dont like him have a rather censored sense of humor

MiDeBo  There are a certain amount of no so bright punters out there who would be easily influenced by Davis's  so called certainties , specials , etc  when he is telling people to "just get on " , " get a bank overdraft " , " easy money "  ," this is better than bank interest ", mortgage the house" ....and all the other thoroughly convincing terms he blurbs out repeatedly in labelling his so called certainties .

Think about it when Sefe  Taulu  Alofa  from South Auckland is having a bet .

12 minutes ago, Nice Option said:

My post was actually related to his auctioneering style. If it is such a steal Steve, form a syndicate and buy it yourself!!

I doubt very much Davis would have the " two necessaries  "  to buy one of his steals , bargains etc.

Seems you have a personal grudge against him... he is a colorful guy... has a sense of humor and is without doubt an outstanding auctioneer... I think I can safely say you are clearly in the minority here as to your views on him... but thats fine too.

2 hours ago, STRAIGHT STRIKE said:

MiDeBo  There are a certain amount of no so bright punters out there who would be easily influenced by Davis's  so called certainties , specials , etc  when he is telling people to "just get on " , " get a bank overdraft " , " easy money "  ," this is better than bank interest ", mortgage the house" ....and all the other thoroughly convincing terms he blurbs out repeatedly in labelling his so called certainties .

Think about it when Sefe  Taulu  Alofa  from South Auckland is having a bet .

No different than listening to tipsters or reading the tips off the form, its all buyer beware. 

To Davis credit he tips some out of the box ,lengthy horses in the market that often do quite well.

29 minutes ago, Huey said:

No different than listening to tipsters or reading the tips off the form, its all buyer beware. 

To Davis credit he tips some out of the box ,lengthy horses in the market that often do quite well.

On one occasion he tipped a Bruce  Wallace runner at Avondale  I backed,  that  was $ 70 on opening on course . When I got back  home the last was yet to run  and he was talking the horse up and telling everyone to " just get on "    It bolted in  but he had  talked it down to $ 14, the stable swore privately that  it wasn't them. I wasn't happy but he did the job bloody well that day for punters, just not me !

19 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

On one occasion he tipped a Bruce  Wallace runner at Avondale  I backed,  that  was $ 70 on opening on course . When I got back  home the last was yet to run  and he was talking the horse up and telling everyone to " just get on "    It bolted in  but he had  talked it down to $ 14, the stable swore privately that  it wasn't them. I wasn't happy but he did the job bloody well that day for punters, just not me !

Oh OK with that sort  dividend ( 70/1 -  14/1) you must easily remember the name of the horse Spyro.

Actually it's not something I'd want to remember, one of biggest drops I can recall. How often do you back a $ 14 winner and think " stuff it ! "  ?   Do remember it was the last race on a Wednesday.  Might do some research and see if it kicks old brain box into gear.   I think Allan Peard rode it.