Guest 2Admin2

Industry Meeting @ Karaka Millions - Same Old Same Old

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, biff said:

I think quite a few breeders got a reality check today Turny, the pass in rate was high, going on the pre - 'show' hype they thought it was put in take out.......unrealistic reserves, not meeting the market. Tomorrow may be different, a strong session pedigree wise, however the real judging will come Wed onward, then we'll see how the industry sits. Asia was very very quiet today, if it continues pain will set in for the needy and greedy and the dough eyed racing minister and the delusional Petone set will circle the wagons.

Good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2
12 minutes ago, Insider said:

Sorry Pam, I don't understand. Why are you so bitter and twisted as my late mother was prone to say?

Why are you so far up them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, biff said:

I think quite a few breeders got a reality check today Turny, the pass in rate was high, going on the pre - 'show' hype they thought it was put in take out.......unrealistic reserves, not meeting the market. Tomorrow may be different, a strong session pedigree wise, however the real judging will come Wed onward, then we'll see how the industry sits. Asia was very very quiet today, if it continues pain will set in for the needy and greedy and the dough eyed racing minister and the delusional Petone set will circle the wagons.

Reportedly the clearance rate was the same as last year though the median was down a bit. Good to see one or two new buyers like Godolphin in the mix though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Insider said:

Sorry Pam, I don't understand. Why are you so bitter and twisted as my late mother was prone to say?

I'm not......I prefer ' realistic'.

If breeders get a reality check they will only be comprehending what many of the rest of us have had to live,  and battle with,  for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Reportedly the clearance rate was the same as last year though the median was down a bit. Good to see one or two new buyers like Godolphin in the mix though.

Great to see Godolphin,  for sure.

But.  surely,  a Tavistock colt walking through the ring in a Premier sale without attracting a bid has to tell a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

I'm not......I prefer ' realistic'.

If breeders get a reality check they will only be comprehending what many of the rest of us have had to live,  and battle with,  for a while.

Pam, I think that the breeders big and small have had a reality check for the last six or seven years.

Last year was a nice turn around but this year we are back to normal. 

What so many people don't realise is that most breeders end up putting a large percentage of what they breed into training, simply because they can't sell them, even at a loss.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2017 at 1:43 AM, puha said:

How was the Prime Ministers opening speech waffled on about nothing then finished of saying if you bought a horse cheap you didn't deserve a good one!  Will be voting NZ first this time round .

Puha, if everyone voted alternate, a protest vote if you like, and I'm talking everyone involved in the industry, there would be a change of GOV.......neither the PM or the goose from Otaki give a continental about our industry, unemployment would be the only way they'd acknowledge, however as I've said a trillion times, the cartel have never had it so good, they'll never vote alternate anyway due to indoctrination, and when it only means downsizing the BMW 7 to a Range Rover should things tighten, well unless it's all for one and one for all, we are well and truly ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Insider said:

Pam, I think that the breeders big and small have had a reality check for the last six or seven years.

Last year was a nice turn around but this year we are back to normal. 

What so many people don't realise is that most breeders end up putting a large percentage of what they breed into training, simply because they can't sell them, even at a loss.

 

 

Liz, there is a cartel, whilst many breeders Mrs et Moi inc are small, passionate and nearly always broke [as we choose to never send our horses to Asia] it will be a battle, the cartel however has chugged merrily along these past decades without inquisition!........I'm privy to the machinations [through the Mrs] as to how many became so big, not all, but some, it would make a Four Corners story or better a sixty minutes story, however for our personal well being and safety, that story will stay in a box on the top shelf  until my beloved Mrs leaves the planet and seeks another gig, then I promise, should I have outlived said treasure, I will unload, and then some will never had life so bad!.......have a lovely day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened carefully to what Bill English had to say.  What surprised me was the respect he has for Nathan Guy, whom I have regularly criticised on this forum.  Bill explained that Nathan's submissions to Cabinet on the racing game were persistent to the point of exasperating, I think is how he put it.

Possibly Nathan Guy deserves a pat on the back, as I always thought he was hopeless.

Bill English seems to have a good grasp on the importance of the proposed race fields legislation.  I was unaware that he had any knowledge of horse racing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Sounds like nothing ever changes in the land of the long grey cloud.  Fifteen years ago the same talk was getting dished out but the ship has continued to sink.  Where is all this extra revenue for racing going to come from?  Did they set out what is going to change to result in all this extra money?  If they didn't then they are just talking hot air.  In the meantime it is one way traffic across the ditch.

Looking at the results, it is clear that (apart from David Ellis), the NZ trainers have very limited budgets, and looking at what a good horse  is capable of earning in NZ, it is economics 101 to work out that you do not pay $500,000 for a horse that even if it won 3 or 4 races would earn less than $50,000 if it was to race in NZ.

Meanwhile the Festival sale will be the usual giveaway of nice horses at a fraction of what it has cost to produce them.  The overseas buyers will have all gone home and the NZ trainers will be picking up the scraps that Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong didn't want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2017 at 1:39 PM, Tauhei Notts said:

Bill English seems to have a good grasp on the importance of the proposed race fields legislation.  I was unaware that he had any knowledge of horse racing.

It can't be that important.  The CEO and his mob have been going on about it since 2015 and all we've had are some estimates from a working group, a few proposals and now it's submissions time.  Then look at what has to happen.  Great way of buying time in your job though.  You can be long gone after collecting squillions by the time it's found to be worth sod all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Memo NZRB

Go to Chilton Saint James School in Lower Hutt and get the top five IT students to design a betting platform for you. Donate $5,000 to the school. Cancel the $90 million Paddy Power deal and plough that money into stakes over the next three years and get racing humming again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 2Admin2
22 minutes ago, Poisoned Dwarf said:

And " Plan B "  that Midshit was talking about ?

I assume that's a typo - who is Midshit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.