RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Happy Sunrise

State of Codes: Gallops V Harness

I am trying to work out one of the glaring differences between the Galloping and Harness forums and wondering if it is linked to the state of each code.

It is interesting to read the Galloping forum. I cannot quite tell whether I am reading something from the Fox News channel with its one-sided attack on the powers that run the thoroughbred game or something akin to French partisans (posters) liberating their country (thoroughbred racing) from their World War II enemies ( leaders of the thoroughbred industry).

The galloping posters seem to be mostly united and willing to slag industry leaders freely (without being moderated I might add) and you get the impression the thoroughbred industry is like the Titanic just after it has hit the iceberg.

On the other hand, the harness site is full of followers of the chariots who in recent times have tended to focus on less controversial things like the stipes, drivers, amateur drivers, our favourite starter and our very own Brodster. These are, mostly pretty run of the mill threads (excluding Brodie, of course). Alexandra Park’s redevelopment was the exception.

Eclipsed, on January 8, started a post about stakes and the actions of the NZRB. I would have thought the two codes were similarly affected by the actions of the NZRB but the post got no takers. I am surprised the harness followers do not feel the same as the galloping ones.

My question is to those more informed than myself, is this:

Is the harness code in much better shape than the galloping code in NZ?

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I am trying to work out one of the glaring differences between the Galloping and Harness forums and wondering if it is linked to the state of each code.

It is interesting to read the Galloping forum. I cannot quite tell whether I am reading something from the Fox News channel with its one-sided attack on the powers that run the thoroughbred game or something akin to French partisans (posters) liberating their country (thoroughbred racing) from their World War II enemies ( leaders of the thoroughbred industry).

The galloping posters seem to be mostly united and willing to slag industry leaders freely (without being moderated I might add) and you get the impression the thoroughbred industry is like the Titanic just after it has hit the iceberg.

On the other hand, the harness site is full of followers of the chariots who in recent times have tended to focus on less controversial things like the stipes, drivers, amateur drivers, our favourite starter and our very own Brodster. These are, mostly pretty run of the mill threads (excluding Brodie, of course). Alexandra Park’s redevelopment was the exception.

Eclipsed, on January 8, started a post about stakes and the actions of the NZRB. I would have thought the two codes were similarly affected by the actions of the NZRB but the post got no takers. I am surprised the harness followers do not feel the same as the galloping ones.

Happy, "The Brodster" is here to help the harness industry whether people like it or not.

I always tell it like it is and generally try not to beat about the bush.

If anyone doesn't agree with me it doesn't worry me but the fact that we can debate a topic is great.

Obviously everyone isn't always going to agree with me because that is human nature but what I will say is that I speak for the silent majority and "I am always on the money".

12 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

The racing certainly is. Wont be if the gallops code has anything to do with it.

2 hours ago, Brodie said:

Happy, "The Brodster" is here to help the harness industry whether people like it or not.

I always tell it like it is and generally try not to beat about the bush.

If anyone doesn't agree with me it doesn't worry me but the fact that we can debate a topic is great.

Obviously everyone isn't always going to agree with me because that is human nature but what I will say is that I speak for the silent majority and "I am always on the money".

You didn't even answer the question

Are you drunk?

33 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Are you drunk?

Yes i thought a very strange answer. Its an answer Brodie has used on most posts. Maybe he has a standard formatted answer that automatically gets sent when any new posts are put up, and he just hopes it will fit in. Unfortunately this time it doesnt and I will have to agree with your comments.

4 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

I like you have perused the gallops site and chipped in how and again. However I feel a bit of an intruder as most of the posts are far to serious for me and have as you have noted an anti establisment tone, Most of the posters seem to be connected to the industry ie. trainers, owners or on a committee, and have some gripe, well founded by the sound of it on the whole. Whereas the harness site has more posters who just enjoy harness racing and I would think are mainly your average punter. 

Sure harness has its problems the same as gallops with low stakes and poor attendances but we tend not to dwell so much on those matters. Harness does have something to cheer about  like tonight when we wallop the Aussies. That is quite a regular occurrence whereas gallops have very little to crow about. The cost of owning a throughbred is considerably more than harness and maybe with the low stakes they are under more pressure and need to vent their anger. Its not a happy site at times.

I enjoy the site and the mostly positive posts and also the reminiscing of past races  Maybe if we had more posters from within the harness industry like Tim Vance when he was posting regularly there would be more robust debates like the other site. But do we want that.

I dont think Harness is any better state than gallops but we are certainly not worse. There are very few cancelled meetings or the terrible accidents that gallops have. Horse ownership is cheaper and stakes not dissimilar. And we have Lazarus.

Look forward to an insiders response to your question.  

2 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

Are you drunk?

Sorry, I had just dropped my drink!

Personally believe that both codes are struggling financially but the harness fans tend to  have more enthusiasm for their sport than the other side.

You either have a preference for harness or gallops rather than following both.

I think the harness fans tend to have more stickability as well.

Both codes are going to struggle in years to come unless we can attract new people   To own or punt.

Now where did I put that beer?

Hic!

1 hour ago, harewood said:

Maybe if we had more posters from within the harness industry like Tim Vance when he was posting regularly there would be more robust debates like the other site. But do we want that.

Harewood..looks like you have mated Tim Vince x Vance Hanover to arrive with Tim Vance.lol

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Personally believe that both codes are struggling financially but the harness fans tend to  have more enthusiasm for their sport than the other side.

Well, Harness for many owners is a hobby rather than a business. I imagine (guessing) galloping has a strong money making side to it.

11 hours ago, Brodie said:

Both codes are going to struggle in years to come unless we can attract new people   To own or punt.

What do you recommend?

12 hours ago, harewood said:

However I feel a bit of an intruder as most of the posts are far to serious for me and have as you have noted an anti establisment tone, Most of the posters seem to be connected to the industry ie. trainers, owners or on a committee, and have some gripe,

Certainly feels like a 'club' The way they get into any opposition to their views on the site is scary. Moderators are in on it too. I doubt they would realise it.

12 hours ago, harewood said:

well founded by the sound of it on the whole

That is part of my original question - is it well founded or are you getting just one side of the argument?

14 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

The racing certainly is. Wont be if the gallops code has anything to do with it.

Could you clarify the last sentence.

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Well, Harness for many owners is a hobby rather than a business. I imagine (guessing) galloping has a strong money making side to it.

What do you recommend?

Certainly feels like a 'club' The way they get into any opposition to their views on the site is scary. Moderators are in on it too. I doubt they would realise it.

That is part of my original question - is it well founded or are you getting just one side of the argument?

Could you clarify the last sentence.

They are looking for a greater portion of funding to go to the thoroughbred code. Especially based on overseas turnover.

Just now, Happy Sunrise said:

Is that a fair thing to ask for or are they just being greedy?

Both sides probably have a reasonable argument I would think. But the TB side has always had a superiority complex which is often unhelpful.

5 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

But the TB side has always had a superiority complex which is often unhelpful.

They call us gypsies so you are correct.

TB is the sport of Kings but their Kingdom seems to be crumbling...and that is by their own admission so the superiority complex is unnecessary.