RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
barryb

Woodville

17 hours ago, MrBigStuff said:

That's what is wrong with racing here...people are to silly to wake up and smell the coffee that its all downhill unless this country scales back the number of venues! Bugger all of them are up to H&S standards and are run down shitholes! 

I recently went to Mornington in VIC - what a pleasure it was...compared to the last NZ venue I went to which was Thames - god awful. Its just amateur hour! 

Stop protecting your little patch and think of the bigger picture I say. To many of you live in the past.

I

Some do say it is better on the other side, at the end of the day we all have our choices, where we live or what race meetings we attend, aussie racing doesn't appeal to me as much as the nz product.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, chevy86 said:

LJS,irrigation issue is relevant. I believe a meeting at Woodville last summer was either cancelled or had trivial acceptances because the track was like concrete.

I must apologize Chevy I missed this your  post  . I can't remember Woodville cancelling a meeting in the last 2 Summers might be wrong. I do remember 1 meeting a few years ago that a few trainers said that the track had to be a dead4 before they would start their horses and withdrew them accordingly leaving Woodville with a few small fields.. I am not quite sure how they would have got on 20 years ago before irrigation?   Foskett did core samples from all around the track and found that the grass  root system goes down over 12 inches which he explained causes cracks and fractures in the hard pan therefore actually giving the surface a bit of give in it. I look at all the irrigation systems being used surely it must cause a very inconsistent surface . Most irrigators go in a circular motion so where the 2 circles meet must be wetter than half way across each circle also right in the middle(axis) where they pivot from surely that would be a wet spot. With the camper of most tracks would the water not run to the inside giving you a very inconsistent surface. I think irrigation is relevant but perhaps use it a bit different  putting most of your water on at a greater rate 10 days before maybe based on the forecast of course. or irrigation pipes 18 inches underground trickling water so the root go down through the pan not sit on top causing the old mat on a varnished floor effect? These are only my opinions the way I see it to try and give our surfaces some consistancy  

On 23/01/2017 at 9:01 PM, barryb said:

Went along to Woodville today, the team there did a super job trying to create an environment despite the horrid weather.

Those calling for centralisation and track closures, pop along to a day like today at Woodville and see real NZ racing. Facilities were good and food and drink well priced for a rural venue.

Well done to all concerned despite the appalling conditions, a great days entertainment.

I popped down to Levin for a couple of days and shot across to the Woodville meeting too. If I had known you were there...you could have shouted me a beer! :lol: