RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Hi, does anyone know where I can find out history of a stallion that was born in 1962 called Wandering Eyes. I'd like to know which NZ stud he stood at - or find some possible connections. My brother in law has a painting of him, which was painted in 1977 by Jean Luoni (equine artist)....He wants to sell it, I thought it would be good to go to a home where the horse or artist have some meaning. I've been searching internet and see his name pops up as siring some winners.

Hi ..... don't know if this will help but J Mullally Bred a mare called killeavy girl out of wandering eyes  and litigation .... so any family members may know more about this. Not an expert only reason i know this was he was a fairly prolific sire used through th mid 1970'.s particularly alot of the WAND prefixes for the want of a better way of putting two of those wandering leah and wandering belle. hope it helps :)

He was stood by Jack O'Brien in Levin at Sovereign Lodge Stud, the same Stud that stood Otehi Bay. I think Grant Searle used to work there so perhaps you might like to call him? The Artist Jean Luoni, I wonder if related to Chris Luoni from Hamilton?

I believe that Doug McKenzie stood him Putaruru. 

For better or worse I had a big cleanup over Christmas and threw out all my old Stallion Registers. 

About 40 years ago a few friends and I bought a Wandering Eyes and called him Passing Glance but he injured himself and thus didn't amount to much. 

Rex Cochrane trained him. 

Now that's going back in times. 

Was a very good stallion who died early.....big loss....two brothers, Ballybrit amd Avenger put him on the map. Think ballybrit won 8 races at two and Avenger was one of the nicest types you'd want to see, trained y Dave O'Sullivan. They weren't just wet trackers. DJ trained Avenger, optician, Wandelle, all pretty good Andrew animals on top of the ground 

Wandering Eyes raced in England 53 times for 9 wins, 13 seconds and 5 thirds. He won between 5 and 10 furlongs. 

At 2 he won the Sandown Park Aylesbury Plate 5f.

At 4 he won the Brighton Worthing Handicap 7f.

At 7 he won the Wolverhampton Cape Hill Handicap 7f.

He stood at Kempton Park Stud at Putaruru owned by Doug McKenzie. Peter Hannan was the Manager there at the time.

I spent a good deal of my childhood at Kempton Park with Peter and his mother Eileen. They were relatives of my grandmother. Wandering Eyes was the top stallion at the time (around 1973ish). He was a very tempermental stallion and had his own pet goat called PJ (after Peter). He had a heavily padded stable attached to his paddock but I understand he broke a leg kicking the wall. Peter suffered from Polio and had some trouble walking however was an amazing horseman and I learnt so much from him and the other staff he had working there. Lovely memories. If you still have the painting let me know. Would be an amazing link for our family. 

Hi Oz Milly, Yes I do have the painting. It belongs to my brother-in-law and he is keen to sell it as it has no meaning to him. He received it after a lady-friend of his passed away.
I will send yu a photo of it (camera is just charging) Do you have email address I can send it to?

Who are some of the most disappointing stallions to stand in NZ? i.e. came with great credentials and just didn't produce?

Danzatore was pretty disappointing wasn't he? Although left some good horses overseas.

We had a funny horse by Sostenuto from one of his last crops...he was a fair horse who won 2 listed races in Sydney but in general they were bad in the barriers. Tommy Smith had a good one, Regal Rhythm, who got away from his strapper on a trip to the beach and swam way out to sea. He eventually swam back, none the worse and continued on his winning ways.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:23 PM, von Smallhaussen said:

talking of PAST stallions - which ones left nasty temperaments? Please in fairness to stallions still standing - only those that have passed on.

Those by Ruling were not the nicest to deal with

7 hours ago, Mattski said:

Who are some of the most disappointing stallions to stand in NZ? i.e. came with great credentials and just didn't produce?

Danzatore was pretty disappointing wasn't he? Although left some good horses overseas.

Entrepreneur, Bigstone, Stylish Century...

Now you are talkiing class. Fairs Fair sire line. None left now oh Super Kid in Aussie. Don't think there's one in NZ. Justice Prevails  down deep South was the last. And not to sure what happened to him.

1 hour ago, optical said:

Entrepreneur, Bigstone, Stylish Century...

Yes, I wasted two very nice mares on Entrepreneur a number of times.

That's the way the ball bounces sometimes. 

I thought that he would be a superstar given his race record and breeding.