RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Just a Thought

Just a thought for what it's worth, might sound silly to most.

I am not a big follower of harness racing these days, largely because $1.20 favs don't do much for me, so I am pretty much an uninformed trots person.

I just watched a race from Cambridge and the commentator kept referring to the chief, which I think had something to do with the driver rather than the horse.

I actually found this quite off-putting as it seemed like a bit of an in joke and if you weren't "in the know" you didn't really have much chance betting on the trots. My view is that this sort of approach makes new or occasional punters feel excluded, whereas they should be getting encouraged.

The trots aren't alone in doing this, when I watch the gallops they are always referring to BP, which to me is a petrol station and once again must make anyone not in on the joke feel excluded.

28 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I am not a big follower of harness racing these days, largely because $1.20 favs don't do much for me, so I am pretty much an uninformed trots person.

I just watched a race from Cambridge and the commentator kept referring to the chief, which I think had something to do with the driver rather than the horse.

I actually found this quite off-putting as it seemed like a bit of an in joke and if you weren't "in the know" you didn't really have much chance betting on the trots. My view is that this sort of approach makes new or occasional punters feel excluded, whereas they should be getting encouraged.

The trots aren't alone in doing this, when I watch the gallops they are always referring to BP, which to me is a petrol station and once again must make anyone not in on the joke feel excluded.

The joke is the fact that commentators and presenters still do this despite the fact that the majority of viewers hate it.

Oh and by the way we don't care what their middle name is either.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I have mentioned this before!

David Butcher apparently is the chief!

Chief of what?

Is he of Red Indian descent, and what tribe does anyone know?

What the hell is the need for Aaron White to call these drivers The Magicman, The Ice Man etc etc. although it is ok for me to be

The Brodster!

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Chief of what?

What the hell is the need for Aaron White to call these drivers The Magicman, The Ice Man etc etc. although it is ok for me to be

The Brodster!

come on ! Aaron is trying to enthuse people with those comments, hes trying to make his commentating better and hes doing a good job i think, give him a break mate,  not an easy job to do

13 hours ago, Brodie said:

Chief of what?

The Brodster!

I thought he was DJB ? He must have received a promotion.

KING Kenny = Ken Barron

THE KING = Michael Coleman

THE WIZARD = Todd Mitchell

LETHAL = Leith Innes

THE ICE MAN = Tony Herlihy

THE POPE = Robert Hannam

THE MAGIC MAN = Maurice McKendry

DOUBLE D = Dexter Dunn

THE GERMAN = Terry Chmiel

MAGIC = Chris Johnson

THE CHIEF = David Butcher

TWO PLUS THREE = Mark Du Plessis

I'm sure there are others but these are some that came to mind if you're feeling a little out in the dark when it comes to commentators and pet names. I think Reg Clapp started the Magic Man thing so that's a while ago. 

I forgot THE POSTMAN = Blair Orange

I believe Aaron isn't the only commentator doing this

Matthew Cross has joined the bandwagon calling drivers/trainers/owners by their apparently nicknames but for the joe public this is nothing short of an inhouse joke and M Cross is following in the footsteps of his peers

they all have names and just because it is all in house the commentators and presenters should refer to them as their given names that they are known by

I'm afraid Aaron gets a bit wearying with all the nicknames, getting carried away when he tips a winner, and now the speedway thing.

Pity as if he stuck to his knitting he does an ok job (not my favourite by a long way - but they can't all be that can they..!)

Can't they get Reon to have a word in his ear ?