RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

New position or replacement?

Guest 2Admin2
2 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Always great pies at Hoki races - that is one thing I will say for them

Yep in my day Percy "Pie" Hurren was the pie maker.  Brother of Johnny Hurren who was the Hokitika resident trainer.  What were they both famous for?

5 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Because as an industry we are broke!

That is a really good point Admin as a whole they need to look at all positions and see what roles could be merged etc but there needs to a role like this to oversee the media side as that's what really needs to be improved and if she can bring any pointers isnt that  a good thing?

6 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Yep in my day Percy "Pie" Hurren was the pie maker.  Brother of Johnny Hurren who was the Hokitika resident trainer.  What were they both famous for?

Johnny Hurren was a good trainer but his main claim to fame was as batman to Charles Upham VC and Bar.  Also trained for Charles Upham as well. Not sure about Percy Hurren but wonderful wonderful pies!

9 minutes ago, hesi said:

Know her do you?:)

Whether I know her is irrelevant. She has a record of excellence in TV production and a passion for and considerable skin in the Racing game.

Her initial name in TV was built on producing quality(ie high rating not the 'quality' Helen Clark and her do gooders demanded) programmes on lean budgets. 

Guest 2Admin2
7 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Johnny Hurren was a good trainer but his main claim to fame was as batman to Charles Upham VC and Bar.  Also trained for Charles Upham as well. Not sure about Percy Hurren but wonderful wonderful pies!

Well done Tom.  Percy also played as half back for the combined services rugby team.  If it wasn't for the war he might have been an All Black.

33 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

I thought i used to see him leading his horses around with white gumboots, was some years ago, so stand to be corrected, the good old days, when a few locals trained there, i think a guy of pope used to train there to, where did they go?.

35 minutes ago, jasonmccook1 said:

Not actively involved these days but have worked and been an owner in all 3 codes so have had a "real skin" in the industry in the past. My other question would be if the appointment had of been a no namer and not been put on stuff etc would this have even being racecafe worthy. Been on this site for a few years and never has this position discussed in the past.  It's not a new position been around many years so why all the uproar now????

The article has hit the main stream media more due to the fact she is leaving media works rather than the fact she is joining the racing board so I suspect you are right if it wasn't someone high profile then we wouldn't be discussing it.There is some merit in both sides of the argument, you would hope given the current situation that the racing board have reviewed whether a new employee is needed to fill the role or if it was able to be filled by existing staff. To often council's etc don't and just hire someone, before people start slagging the roll of or justifying the position maybe someone could contact the racing board and find out what the job description is and what the role entails.

2 minutes ago, Shad said:

I thought i used to see him leading his horses around with white gumboots, was some years ago, so stand to be corrected, the good old days, when a few locals trained there, i think a guy of pope used to train there to, where did they go?.

I do not ever remember Johnny Hurren leading horses around in white gumboots.  He was an older man when I met him and certainly not the type to turn up raceday in gumboots.  The bloke Pope you refer to was certainly the type to do that. There were 20 -30 horses in work in Hoki at its peak. Zero now

1 minute ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

I do not ever remember Johnny Hurren leading horses around in white gumboots.  He was an older man when I met him and certainly not the type to turn up raceday in gumboots.  The bloke Pope you refer to was certainly the type to do that. There were 20 -30 horses in work in Hoki at its peak. Zero now

Cheers, i think it must been the pope guy, i knew it was one of them but was a long time ago, haven't times changed no horses there now, keenan another name that i recall and williams to, isn't it a shame.Mind you not many other gallopers on the coast.

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

The title is "Media Personnel Manager"....I would think she will be the liaison between mainstream media and NZRB.

Another way to spin "feelgood" stories......

There you go, first story on TV3 tonight about Barbara Blackie...;)

35 minutes ago, Shad said:

Cheers, i think it must been the pope guy, i knew it was one of them but was a long time ago, haven't times changed no horses there now, keenan another name that i recall and williams to, isn't it a shame.Mind you not many other gallopers on the coast.

Cathy Wildbore was the major one.  She would have had 20 or 25 in work there at one stage and half the kids in Hoki riding work. They say there were loose horses all over Hoki at times.

Basically the role is micro-managing all the commentators and presenters. I'm lead to believe the position was created for the former holder after the CEO met her on a plane? Second hand, of course. 

Had heard Greg O'Connor was in the running for it, which would have seemed a much more logical appointment. But I'm sure Michelle will bring professionalism to the role.

13 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

So she is Media Personnel Manager, but they already have:

Trish Bolger. General Manager People &  Andy Kidd. General Manager Media & Content.

That's what I meant by looking at the whole picture and merging roles and looks like Toblerone has advised how the role came about. Disappointing if that's how it did come about as pay would have to be nearly 100k PA? Can think of better way of spending that money

Doesn't it just show the contempt they have for the real people of racing, those who put on the show.

They haven't got a job for Tony Lee or David Walsh but this Michelle Pickles ( if she knew anything about racing I'd know her, and I don't ) gets a plum job at the NZRB.

C'mon Tony Pike, stand up, be counted, and make them drain this fucking swamp before it's too late.

38 minutes ago, Toblerone said:

Basically the role is micro-managing all the commentators and presenters. I'm lead to believe the position was created for the former holder after the CEO met her on a plane? Second hand, of course. 

Had heard Greg O'Connor was in the running for it, which would have seemed a much more logical appointment. But I'm sure Michelle will bring professionalism to the role.

I could manage the commentators. George Simon any races in the north you need to be there for those ones etc. if you need a holiday please give me at least 2 months notice so I can arrange cover etc. 

3 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Possibly owners of the great steeplechaser Sweeny Todd.....

4 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

Can you grasp the concept  that Michelle Pickles knows nothing about racing or commentating?

Michelle's brother Jason was my primary school mate, they only lived a couple hundred meters from Ellerslie stables and course..the home of the Ritchies,Bonecrusher and the gang at the time, (as me 'Sandra dairy' Marua rd) so im thinking she may well know just a tad..:)

6 minutes ago, mooseman said:

Michelle's brother Jason was my primary school mate, they only lived a couple hundred meters from Ellerslie stables and course..the home of the Ritchies,Bonecrusher and the gang at the time, (as me 'Sandra dairy' Marua rd) so im thinking she may well know just a tad..:)

Yeah as I said to Admin maybe need to find all facts before making statements like that. What's the old saying don't judge a book by its cover !!!!

17 minutes ago, mooseman said:

Seriously ?? You're suggesting that because she lived in Marua Rd she knows something about racing !!!

The Head Hunters operate out of that road don't they ? can I presume she a patched member of the Heads too ?.

God give me patience, this is getting more bizarre by the minute.

8 minutes ago, Midget said:

Seriously ?? You're suggesting that because she lived in Marua Rd she knows something about racing !!!

The Head Hunters operate out of that road don't they ? can I presume she a patched member of the Heads too ?.

God give me patience, this is getting more bizarre by the minute.

Moosey did say her brother was his mate so he might have more insight than yourself Admin and me!

Good luck to Michelle but the mythical portability of skills concept does not cut it when it comes to the racing industry administration. If the NZRB are serious about cutting costs they should not be appointing any new staff and should spread the duties of departing staff amongst existing personnel.