RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jeepers

Breeding Fees

In case nobody has noticed the studs only serve two types of clients. 1. Themselves and 2. (As someone pointed out) those spending other peoples money. I too have sent four mares for foaling and mating and was left with three empty mares and pregnancy from a December mating. I have also noticed that studs (larger NZ ones) repeatedly stick to stallions with sire lines that suit their own broodmares increasing their own success rates. There's a hint, you should be looking to mates mares to studs that have similar maternal lines. Having said that there a plenty of cheaper alternatives. I for one have given up wasting money on mating, vets and boxing/grazing and instead opted to buy young stock already on the ground and dispense with all the associated costs. If I did not own my own piece of dirt and do my own breaking I simply could not afford it. If it was not for my love of the horses and a limited number of people in the industry (and there are some good bastards) I would not be bothered.

Been looking at some of the announced fees and trying to understand the reasons for some of the increases in fees or some staying at the same value. There must be a demand out there for it...... 

5 hours ago, optical said:

Been looking at some of the announced fees and trying to understand the reasons for some of the increases in fees or some staying at the same value. There must be a demand out there for it...... 

Please let me know when you understand the reasoning.

Just to show how insane fees are Iffraaj will stand for $25k after the amazing season he has had and WS new stallion will stand for $20k - go figure,

Some changes for this season from studs that have announced fees already:

Contributer: $15,000 to $12,500

Power:$8,000 to $12,500

Relaible Man: $15,000 to $17,500

Swiss Ace: $13,500 to $15,000

Iffraaj $17,500 to $25,000

Jimmy Choux $12,500 to $7,000

Shocking $8,500 to $12,500

I think Reliable Man may be an OK stallion.but again protectionism for the many shareholders and Westbury always over rate and overcharge after all it is Gerry Harvey who has a lot say on everything here in Aust.especially if he thinks it may affect his profits.Someone should tell him that he can't take it with him and he's on the downward slide at his age.

Will be interesting to see if Dalgar remains the same fee. Not a bad stallion but and if he remains at $8000 he will probably have a full book but if he goes higher then the competition may be too great.

I have used Reliable Man and will do so again this year all going well. I don't think he warrants an increase in fee even though he has already proven that he can leave a horse with good ability-2nd in the Manawatu Sires, Group One behind a quality Aust Bred filly. 

The poor horse has been thrashed in the breeding shed and I think that they hope that the increase in fee will slow down the demand for his services. Last year he served over 170+!!!!  This year they have promised to keep him below 150. Remember of course that he starts with 100 share holders mares each year, this being the last year it will happen. Next year he will start with just 50 share holder mares so a lot more cash will be changing hands so long as he continues to perform on the race track, hopefully in Australia. 

On 27/04/2017 at 6:04 PM, Insider said:

I have used Reliable Man and will do so again this year all going well. I don't think he warrants an increase in fee even though he has already proven that he can leave a horse with good ability-2nd in the Manawatu Sires, Group One behind a quality Aust Bred filly. 

The poor horse has been thrashed in the breeding shed and I think that they hope that the increase in fee will slow down the demand for his services. Last year he served over 170+!!!!  This year they have promised to keep him below 150. Remember of course that he starts with 100 share holders mares each year, this being the last year it will happen. Next year he will start with just 50 share holder mares so a lot more cash will be changing hands so long as he continues to perform on the race track, hopefully in Australia. 

In all fairness to this, at least breeders can have confidence that there is a decent crop numbers coming through. I think he is an exciting sire proposition.  

On 4/27/2017 at 3:34 PM, jeepers said:

Will be interesting to see if Dalgar remains the same fee. Not a bad stallion but and if he remains at $8000 he will probably have a full book but if he goes higher then the competition may be too great.

$10k max. maybe , some decent "real" results at the sales, must be some good ones coming through given the $$ paid for them and 6 winners from 11 starters in Aus.

On 4/27/2017 at 10:04 PM, Insider said:

"..even though he has already proven that he can leave a horse with good ability..."

I hope he gets at least one winner next season too