RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jeepers

Breeding Fees

I have just tallied up my Vet and breeding fees for two Waikato Studs, from 1 Sept to 31 Dec 2016. They total $13654 .64. This includes three foaling fees of $1650 but no other foal costs are included. It does not include Stud service fees. Total Vet costs $5540.29. One Stud also has given me very favourable grazing charges and I couldn't speak more highly of that particular Stud.

All mares had easy foalings and are good breeders but unfortunately only one got in foal -------Three empty. Unfortunate for the Premier mares.

Sadly at this rate I will need to review leaving mares in NZ and with stakes at the pathetic level they are, those gallopers I have in work with NZ Trainers must also be reviewed.

A very sad state of affairs for NZ breeding and racing. One positive is that SOME good stallions in NZ have reasonable service fees compared to Aust,however deals are always available for Premier mares.

Yes jeepers i agree with you totally.  I find the vet fees just knock me for six.  I tend to shop on the cheaper side for stallions so haven't been to Waikato Stud.  Waiting for them to call me haha:)  Don't have premier mares and just hobby it at this stage.  If stakes were higher how much easier would it be.  Have raced horses in Aus and at that time i think the Saturday winning stake covered close to 8 months training fees.  Our minimum here would have to be close to $45k to cover that.  Good Luck with your choices.

Edited by Tropical

Always tough when a mare misses but 3 out of 4 is quite high.

While I agree our prize money in NZ is nothing like what is on offer in Australia we still offer a cheaper place to breed horses. Do we all agree here?

Breeding a 1600m to 3200m horse in NZ then leaving them here until they are up and going as late 2yo's or early 3yo's is also cheaper here than Australia.

I feel bringing them up in our NZ conditions without the pressure to perform as 2yo's also gives them a better chance to stay sound and race on as older horses.

Breed them in NZ and if they are good enough race them in Australia.

The Australians come here to buy our 1600m plus horses like the proven Savabeel, Tavistock, Pentire, Shocking and we also offer some super exciting new stallions in our ranks.

With the success so far of Power I wonder if those that went to him this season,but missed ,will be offered another go at $8000. I doubt it.

I wonder if the method of "enforcing"had something to do with mares missing and/or being in foal late. Who knows. I think when a stallion becomes successful studs get greedy.

My guess is that the method of "enforcing" would have a positive effect, not a negative one. 

The problem these days is that the  very popular horses are serving books that are too big, hence the large numbers that are missing out when upwards of 140 are being served.

9 hours ago, jeepers said:

With the success so far of Power I wonder if those that went to him this season,but missed ,will be offered another go at $8000. I doubt it.

I wonder if the method of "enforcing"had something to do with mares missing and/or being in foal late. Who knows. I think when a stallion becomes successful studs get greedy.

As Insider mentioned "enforcing" has a positive effect in getting mares and foal and not missing, Cambridge Stud ensured this to happen to all mares that were served by Power or Tavistock

In the case of Power it will be interesting if he comes back, Coolmore hold all the strings in regard to him, I hope he does, he looks a very promising stallion

I am pleased to be advised that the method of 'enforcing" would have a positive effect of getting mares in foal. I was told that it is a type of artificial breeding but have no idea if that is correct. Perhaps someone with vet experience could explain the procedure more fully.

It is however pleasing to know that these studs have the stallion and mares welfare at heart, with such high bookings.

It also explains the high vet bills.

Have just spoken to another breeder with five mares at said stud.All foaled in August but most not in foal until Dec matings. He is livid.

I will no longer be breeding in NZ as this is the straw that broke the camels back,and I am still getting Vet bills for last minute scans.All mares will be returning to Australia,

Surprisingly no one wishes to fully explain "enforcing". Is it too close to artificial breeding, which thoroughbred breeding does not allow ?

jeepers 

Did the other breeder you refer to have his mares at the same stud? If so, is it possible that the stallion(s) involved are the real issue. Doesn't seem to get talked about much but it seems that a few Danehill line stallions have fertility issues ( just an observation I've made when you read of stallions being "retired" due to fertility issues)

Yes the person I mentioned had all his mares at Cambridge Stud.
Rather than there being an issue with stallion fertility I would be inclined to think it is more a case of too many mares for relatively young stallions in both hemispheres,hence the need to use " enforcing", which it would seem is a form of artificial breeding i.e. collecting fresh semen either as the stallion withdraws,(maybe),then putting that semen into that mare or maybe others. Whether an extender is used is an unknown and only the Vets and stud personnel will know..

If this is not artificial breeding then it's very close to it.

1 hour ago, jeepers said:

Yes the person I mentioned had all his mares at Cambridge Stud.
Rather than there being an issue with stallion fertility I would be inclined to think it is more a case of too many mares for relatively young stallions in both hemispheres,hence the need to use " enforcing", which it would seem is a form of artificial breeding i.e. collecting fresh semen either as the stallion withdraws,(maybe),then putting that semen into that mare or maybe others. Whether an extender is used is an unknown and only the Vets and stud personnel will know..

If this is not artificial breeding then it's very close to it.

A bit of luck involved also no doubt,

The 4 mares I am associated with all got on foal after being at Cambridge Stud and were served by Tavistock/Power, I am guessing by the Vibe of your message that this person's mares were served by Power?, In the 2013/2014 seasons he has been running at 84% and 76% ferility levels so not fantastic.

This is slightly off topic.

I noticed this season that my mares are cycling oddly, they didnt start cycling until October then cycled late in November. One of my mares then had an issue in November with ovarian torsion. While talking to the vet at 11pm he mentioned that just about every mare with colic he had attended had OT which presents like colic.

Do you have a breakdown on costs? As a scan, swab and a caslick cost around $600 from my local vet. I did make them come to me as I have a crush and I refuse to drive 70km to use theirs.

As for using an extender, I would be more inclined to wonder if they are using a centrifuge to increase motility.

Chevy in my experience "enforcing" as explained by Jeepers is a myth.

It would be illegal. The last cases of AI in thoroughbreds led to the individuals being banned I think for life 20 + years ago.

There are legal drugs which can be given to mares to make sure they ovulate shortly after being served. I suspect that's what Jeepers is actually referring to.

Agree there were rumours about Zephyr Bay in the 80's.

Frank Wilson , The magic contributor to our history, with his Stallions

Johnothan Ar, High Rank

and other Stallions at Walton.

created a scandal of lies and breeding suspects.

The days before Branding of imported Horses.

No DNA. No tats on tongue.No implants.

Fitzy your comments that Zephyr Bay at Tower Road , Matamata was ever

"substituted" are so malicious.
Can you Name the other Stallion that  stood at Balcares  at the same time 

as Z B ??