RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cornelius

Purcell on Weigh In on Monday

Just now, von Smallhaussen said:

as he wasn't wearing seersucker - did he in a polite way say NZ racing is fooked?

Yep that was my take.

Body language and tone was awful, didn't really answer any of the questions, and then came out with the "ambulance at the bottom of the cliff" cliche.  As Jack Nicholson said, we're drowning and he was describing the water!

and they want to get him back on the show!? 

12 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

as he wasn't wearing seersucker - did he in a polite way say NZ racing is fooked?

Not exactly polite. He said it's fooked because we've managed to spend 4.5m on infrastructure (which is not a priority) in the last 6 years and wasted the rest on stakes. It's all the NZRB's fault because unless they uplift the income stream, we're fooked, as you say.

5 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Probably only the second time I've watched it but Tan is hopeless. He doesn't ask questions like a journalist might. He's proposing his own agenda of less tracks, and interrupting the guest.  Wtf is he doing on there?

He's not a journo's backside Leggy, he should have done his research and learned NZTR can't 'acquire' race clubs as they wish, it doesn't work like that Jason, join the real world pal.

Most clubs are not set up for the sole purpose of gallops racing Jason. They have other community purposes which will likely be pursued by many, with or without gallops racing there, or assistance from NZTR. Greg tried to explain that except you kept cutting him off. All but 20 clubs are now in that position. NZTR, essentially with the support of the major clubs made those decisions. For Pete's sake, don't now expect those smaller clubs to bail out those decision makers, at the expense of their communities. You can get stuffed.

Exactly as expected.

Tan hasn't got a clue, thinks Ellerslie, Te Rapa and Trentham encapsulate NZ racing absolutely no idea - exactly the type of full of himself fool the sport in NZ needs rid of!

But the real plight of NZ racing was summed up tonight- absolutely no leadership whatsoever! 

Just now, Huey said:

Exactly as expected.

Tan hasn't got a clue, thinks Ellerslie, Te Rapa and Trentham encapsulate NZ racing absolutely no idea - exactly the type of full of himself fool the sport in NZ needs rid of!

But the real plight of NZ racing was summed up tonight- absolutely no leadership whatsoever! 

Dead right Huey, imagine a CEO in any other business saying we are the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. That smacks of a guy who is devoid of ideas/solutions and is just riding out time till the whole thing collapses. 

Whats with this not looking at people or the camera? instant turn off. 

3 minutes ago, barryb said:

Dead right Huey, imagine a CEO in any other business saying we are the ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. That smacks of a guy who is devoid of ideas/solutions and is just riding out time till the whole thing collapses.

Htf did he come to think his job was to be the ambulance? It's completely insane. Absolutely no ideas or solutions. Your'e right barryb, just watch the whole thing collapse unless the NZRB comes up with more revenue for the crappier and crappier product you are providing them to do so. What a joke.

27 minutes ago, barryb said:

The real annoying thing was that he wasn't given anywhere near enough time, some of the most pressing issues today for NZ Racing and he is shuffled off stage so we can watch Tan and Sweeney talk absolute crap that no one is interested in for the last 10 mins.

Agree, I thought the question needed to be more concise and to the point with the limited time frame.

8 minutes ago, hesi said:

So we've heard from GP, and basically there have been no solutions put forward, as expected

What were people wanting to hear, what solutions, what initiatives.

Basically NZTR have received in round figs the same amount(74 mil) from the RB for the last 4 years, they get another 10% approx on top of that from things like acceptance/noms, stud book and registrations, NZTR operating costs are about 10%, so effectively all the RB money goes towards payout to clubs for stakes, so that payout has remained essentially static for the last 4 years.

How can a business grow when income is static, any CEO would be in the same boat.

My criticism would be that, what has GP done to address this, has he gone to his board, and said we can't do what we are supposed to do with the current income stream.  Virtually all the RB money goes towards stakes, so of course there is no money for infrastructure.

Where's the money going to come from to invest in infrastructure and stakes to at least try and kick start NZ Racing

Hesi, they have ignored infrastructure at the expense of stakes. They could have had 10k minimum stakes and $5-10m a year for infrastructure the last six years. There was no will to do so as they insisted on funding top end stakes as a priority instead. So be it. They wouldn't listen. The chickens are now coming home to roost and still they sit like a deer in the headlights.

Was and still is, though much tougher now. I posted such a model 5 or 6 years ago but they wanted to protect the pattern race structure etc. minimum top end stakes instead of making those races pay their own way. As they say, they've had their cake, now they have to eat it.

That was so depressing to watch . I didnt see or hear anything that gave me hope for the future. It's making me question why we are spending so much of our own time and money racing horses when even the CEO insinuates this once proud industry is a train wreck . Where is the light at the end of the tunnel Greg oh that's right it's the ambulance .

37 minutes ago, puha said:

That was so depressing to watch . I didnt see or hear anything that gave me hope for the future. It's making me question why we are spending so much of our own time and money racing horses when even the CEO insinuates this once proud industry is a train wreck . Where is the light at the end of the tunnel Greg oh that's right it's the ambulance .

Bail. Let it fall over and see when the dust settles and changes are made if its in a better position. The industry needs to completely collapse to pick itself back up in my opinion.

5 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

Bail. Let it fall over and see when the dust settles and changes are made if its in a better position. The industry needs to completely collapse to pick itself back up in my opinion.

No it just needs some strong leadership, with an ounce of vision and innovation thrown in.

It needs to stop thinking that the majority of it all should be paid for by those in the minority, it needs to stop thinking and acting like its Hong Kong or Singapore just because some guys went there and it looked really impressive,time to  start initiating its own NZ vision.

The base of the industry needs re-invigorating thoroughly otherwise it will collapse , enough of this special treatment for a few, time to broaden the scope and utilise what assets the industry has available for itself and I don't mean by sales like those vision less fools who think that selling up race courses because there are too many  will solve all its problems. 

In short it needs a think tank to drive it forward but to achieve that requires my first point..