RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cornelius

Purcell on Weigh In on Monday

3 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Last year NZTR met 17 of 20 KPI's ,from Annual Report and his strategic plan clearly explains the plan but as has been prevalent in a vast number of Sports in NZ the regions in NZ have their own views on things ,their strategic plans are not aligned so the national body is powerless.

I think you'll find they met 26 of 42 KPIs TM though many of them are quite meaningless it seems to me.

7 hours ago, Midget said:

Improved !!

Counties ? name the G1 horses trained there.

Byerley, seriously ? not many good summer horses get trained in deep sand.

The smartest operator there at Takanini was TJ McKee ( with the Stick ) who sold up and bought out at Ardmore on good peat ground, where the #1 Auckland racecourse should be, and would be if people who knew about horses were making the decisions, and since relocating the Stick has trained about 20 G1 wins, and that's more than the rest of Auckland, plus the CD and the South Island combined in the same period.

The proof of the pudding........drain the fucking swamp, sack the suits, sell Trentham, give Awapuni back to the seagulls, ducks and eels, put horse people back in charge of racing FFS before it's too late.....

BTW Liz Ellerslie has 40 million plus in the bank, with a lot more to come, but those who know say they don't want to close down for a year to rebuild the track. I find that a bit odd.

They're in good hands though, and they won't fuck it up or waste it like the WRC has.

I used the wrong adjunctive. I ment to say 'alternative' place to train because Ellerslie sold Takanni.

With your posting above I see that you are coming around to my way of thinking regarding Ellerslie. 

See my other posting under what they are doing at Kempton Park. 

4 hours ago, Leggy said:

I think you'll find they met 26 of 42 KPIs TM though many of them are quite meaningless it seems to me.

Isn't one of them "Live Foals" thanks goodness NZTR  have a KPI for that and another funded Prizemoney , which a few years ago they just increased in July to pump through the stakes from memory , not to mention noms and acceptances I think was also one.

9 hours ago, Leggy said:

The only problem with that is that ARC would not have any where near the money to even build the tracks. They also couldn't replicate a Pakenham at Ellerslie obviously, given it's a 250 hectare training and racing facility, so new land would have to be found. There are some basic practicalities that are missing from this sort of proposal aside from what seems to me an impossible sustainability case given anything like current gallops revenues.

I hate to put a downer on the 'Pakenham' model, but let me just say, having trained the odd winner or 2 at the old Pakenham, anything would have been better than the old course, however, Pakenham is smack bang in the middle of the worst rain belt on God's earth, in plain terms, it's a shit hole.....the synthetic track is and was a God send, however the grass track is a white elephant, only suitable for summer racing, it's a bit like Stratford, an uphill run home, gives most horses a chance to run on, but that's the only positive....as for living there, anyone with a penchant for quality of life living, who wants to live in a place where a raincoat and gummies are glued on, the power costs for heating are over the top, if any of you know Kath and Kim, well that show was based on a fictitious boonie called Fountain Lakes......now believe me, Fountain Lakes is really Cranbourne in disguise, Pakenham is the poor mans, Fountain Lakes.......you have been warned/told.

7 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

I pretty much agree with this.........with a decent track at Ellerslie a good product could be on display more often and stimulate bigger betting and particularly more Asian interest in betting here.

Ideally the track could then take its responsibility to race throughout the winter ,as I sense participants will soon get sick of the travel to Ruakaka.

Ellerslie has the money and IMO needs to show some leadership and close for a period to get the track surface right...its facilities are excellent as stated previously.

Leadership too in in the Northern region.

The rest of NZ needs to forget the past......we can't change that .......and concentrate on the future.

Of course the horse population and followers are centred around the Waikato so that area too needs attention and again the 'all weather' track needs action.Do it !

With so many punters preferring Aussie racing and Sports betting now I guess the lower North Island and South Island will need to do the best they can and certainly Canterbury folk will keep the 'sport' [ GPurcells word ] going.Also there will always be room for the one/two meeting Clubs to cash in on the holiday crowds over summer break.

But young kiwi people will not get into racing.....watching horses run around a circle for 2 mins every 45 is no longer in their DNA.

But going to the races 2 - 3 times a year is...Melbourne Cup day ,Dress up on Derby day then a day in jandles over the New Year....thats it !

Only the serious horse person goes on track these days......Trackside TV at home is too easy.

Stakes / Owners......Very soon a significant number of Owners will just walk away...these $7 to $8000 stakes are bullshit ,and even the soon to start $10k minimum changes little.Im often in syndicates of 10 owners and recently Ive had two horses where up to 3 folk just say Im out.But taking away from the high end stakes owners walk away would be swifter !

One of the few statistics in NZTR Annual Report on the decline was the number of horses racing...thats a concern ,while the number of owners was on the increase !....the trend here is now there are many leased horses running around ,some with over 50 "owners". 5 years ago I was involved in nil leased horses now 70% of my involvement is leased [ over 20 horses ,Iveracedninety! ]

GPurcell wasn't as bad as many on here made out ,neither were the presenters .......cafers are way too personal.....Winston said nothing "Our industry should be great again" .....the big problem is Politicians only see the few good days.GPurcell believes he has done his best to save the 'sport'[ his word'] but realises NZTR lacks the authority and power ,and certainly the money to do much.

Last year NZTR met 17 of 20 KPI's ,from Annual Report and his strategic plan clearly explains the plan but as has been prevalent in a vast number of Sports in NZ the regions in NZ have their own views on things ,their strategic plans are not aligned so the national body is powerless.

Even Rugby suffered from this......one sport which has really progressed is Hockey where alignment in the national plan is bringing rewards...funders and sponsors now are insisting on this alignment

Racing needs money for infrastructure....assuming the Govt won't see fit to step up[We are not Australia] then costs need to be cut from the Operational budget...certainly the Wages line with 15 folk over $200 k in NZRB seems excessive .

Thats one obvious place to start Mr Allen !! $10 to $20 mill should be slashed ASAP.

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you say TM, I do not agree that Mr Purcell was 'not as bad' or the presenters were OK. I take a view that as New Zealanders you should always have a Kiwi running the show. How can Mr Purcell have a passion that a Kiwi has, as corny as it sounds, watching NZ Racing collapse while I lived and worked in 3 different countries it sickened me to see 'foreigners' appointed on huge salaries, all leaving without improving the product.......I don't use the word apathy lightly, and I really feel sad for those in this industry that couldn't change or influence those in charge as the bus careered across the highway into oncoming traffic, however, we use a catch-phrase in our business, ''it's not the problem it's how you fix the problem that's important'........

We could sell up and piss off back across the Tasman, just putting our venture down to 'a lost opportunity' what's a million bucks down the drain.......more, our investment is close to 1 and a half mil, chicken feed compared to the Lindsay's, however, it's the investors we had in tow with their 10 mil plus that should set the alarm bells off.

In closing, most of you will see I've been passionate on here for some years, the likes to my posts are humbling and I truly thank you all, I bet when St Peter ticks his manifest when welcoming you good buggers there will be an entry clause, you get to fly business or first on your final journey..... if you were a regular on racecafe! 

Slashing costs etc is only ever a short term fix.  It often just delays the evitable.   What needs to be fixed is to increase the money coming in the top of the funnel to wash over the expenses.

I think we all agree summer racing Dec through to Jan works.  Plus a few other meetings like NZ Cup week, Te Rapa international day, Karaka Millions, Melbourne Cup day.

So from April through to November it is hard to get people through the gates.  These are also the months we have most our main sports on (rugby, league, soccer) and the weather is at its worst.  So getting full racetracks on these months will not happen again.  What we need to do is maximise the revenue over this period through punting.  This is where we should race on a very few but consistent tracks (eg Avondale, Ruakaka, Te Rapa, Foxton) on consistent days.  Ruakaka every Friday.  If we race on few tracks and ramp up the data available to punters then we might be able to grow the betting turnover. 

There are many reasons why HK racing is so popular, obviously the Asians love a punt (but we are not short of Asians in NZ now), but also because of the consistent tracks and data relating to those tracks.

8 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Slashing costs etc is only ever a short term fix.  It often just delays the evitable.   What needs to be fixed is to increase the money coming in the top of the funnel to wash over the expenses.

I agree, to an extent, regarding slashing costs only being a short-term fix.  However, we should recognize that any increase in revenue will likely be seen as "justification" for higher remuneration for those in the top jobs, and so unless there is a conscious focus on reducing unnecessary costs, an increase in revenue is unlikely to have any material flow-through effect. 

Look at cost free ways to promote this wonderful sport.

The Broadcasting (Games of National Significance) Amendment Bill: http://fw.to/axuWH6j

A proposed law could ensure all sports matches of national significance are free-to-air, but regrettably THOROUGHBRED RACING does not appear to be deemed as a sport of 'national significance'.  Why not?  Mr Purcell and others at NZTR & NZRB should be moving heaven and earth to be included.

Every Group race should be broadcasted free on main stream TV to promote our best racing into the homes of every New Zealander.

A picture says a thousand words therefore Trackside coverage should not include scenes of empty stands.   This portrays poor attendance, lack of excitement and a sport not worth watching, especially on cold, wet days when people are inside.  There may well be not many people there but focus on those that are – not those that aren’t.  Plus it doesn’t cost a cent.

1 hour ago, Huey said:

Isn't one of them "Live Foals" thanks goodness NZTR  have a KPI for that and another funded Prizemoney , which a few years ago they just increased in July to pump through the stakes from memory , not to mention noms and acceptances I think was also one.

Yep, those are all there. You'd think the primary KPI would be revenue generated? No sign of that.

A Training centre in Auckland would be a good idea.... however the stable hands and trackriders would not like the cost of RENTING in Auckland.

Crazy costs of living up there, and do you really think the owners and trainers are going to be able to pay $20.00 to $30.00 dollars a ride or per hour just so the stable staff can afford to live in the Auckland?????

15 hours ago, Midget said:

1 hour ago, Dwyn said:

Look at cost free ways to promote this wonderful sport.

The Broadcasting (Games of National Significance) Amendment Bill: http://fw.to/axuWH6j

A proposed law could ensure all sports matches of national significance are free-to-air, but regrettably THOROUGHBRED RACING does not appear to be deemed as a sport of 'national significance'.  Why not?  Mr Purcell and others at NZTR & NZRB should be moving heaven and earth to be included.

Every Group race should be broadcasted free on main stream TV to promote our best racing into the homes of every New Zealander.

A picture says a thousand words therefore Trackside coverage should not include scenes of empty stands.   This portrays poor attendance, lack of excitement and a sport not worth watching, especially on cold, wet days when people are inside.  There may well be not many people there but focus on those that are – not those that aren’t.  Plus it doesn’t cost a cent.

Agree. The Trackside coverage has always been a problem because of the idiots holding the cameras. We used to have some heated discussions with Trackside presenters over their TV coverage in Auckland. Don't linger on fucking empty birdcages when there are hundreds having a good time in any of the restaurants - the suggestion that they go inside and talk to people and convey some of the excitement/entertainment/vibe was usually met with blank faces. Never entered their heads.....:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

I pretty much agree with this.........with a decent track at Ellerslie a good product could be on display more often and stimulate bigger betting and particularly more Asian interest in betting here.

Ideally the track could then take its responsibility to race throughout the winter ,as I sense participants will soon get sick of the travel to Ruakaka.

Ellerslie has the money and IMO needs to show some leadership and close for a period to get the track surface right...its facilities are excellent as stated previously.

Leadership too in in the Northern region.

The rest of NZ needs to forget the past......we can't change that .......and concentrate on the future.

Of course the horse population and followers are centred around the Waikato so that area too needs attention and again the 'all weather' track needs action.Do it !

With so many punters preferring Aussie racing and Sports betting now I guess the lower North Island and South Island will need to do the best they can and certainly Canterbury folk will keep the 'sport' [ GPurcells word ] going.Also there will always be room for the one/two meeting Clubs to cash in on the holiday crowds over summer break.

But young kiwi people will not get into racing.....watching horses run around a circle for 2 mins every 45 is no longer in their DNA.

But going to the races 2 - 3 times a year is...Melbourne Cup day ,Dress up on Derby day then a day in jandles over the New Year....thats it !

Only the serious horse person goes on track these days......Trackside TV at home is too easy.

Stakes / Owners......Very soon a significant number of Owners will just walk away...these $7 to $8000 stakes are bullshit ,and even the soon to start $10k minimum changes little.Im often in syndicates of 10 owners and recently Ive had two horses where up to 3 folk just say Im out.But taking away from the high end stakes owners walk away would be swifter !

One of the few statistics in NZTR Annual Report on the decline was the number of horses racing...thats a concern ,while the number of owners was on the increase !....the trend here is now there are many leased horses running around ,some with over 50 "owners". 5 years ago I was involved in nil leased horses now 70% of my involvement is leased [ over 20 horses ,Iveracedninety! ]

GPurcell wasn't as bad as many on here made out ,neither were the presenters .......cafers are way too personal.....Winston said nothing "Our industry should be great again" .....the big problem is Politicians only see the few good days.GPurcell believes he has done his best to save the 'sport'[ his word'] but realises NZTR lacks the authority and power ,and certainly the money to do much.

Even Rugby suffered from this......one sport which has really progressed is Hockey where alignment in the national plan is bringing rewards...funders and sponsors now are insisting on this alignment

Racing needs money for infrastructure....assuming the Govt won't see fit to step up[We are not Australia] then costs need to be cut from the Operational budget...certainly the Wages line with 15 folk over $200 k in NZRB seems excessive .

Thats one obvious place to start Mr Allen !! $10 to $20 mill should be slashed ASAP.

Canterbury and the greater South Island will always be supportive TM, it is in our DNA. Rather than ignore us, there should be more investment and attention paid to racing schedules ( like Cromwell as Tom suggested ) that maximise consumer involvement and returns to the industry. 

The criticism of Weigh In was justified, it is a second rate programme that just emphasises how far behind Oz we are. And Winston knows the industry and understands how important it is, and even more importantly, understands that it requires investment, and that investment is repaid many times over....that is a huge shift in thinking from where we are now.

17 hours ago, Insider said:

All I am saying is let's test the water if you believe in what you are saying.

There's need to destroy others unless it works, so let's try out your theory.

Surely you agree that Auckland is the place to start and they have the money, as Midget said.

Insider I am actually a Harness fan and have been for 50 yrs, but am related to someone right in the thick of it on a trainers side with considerable financial backing and lots to lose. I am only reiterating his concerns and ideas on a way through the mire, of which he is genuinely agreed it is the most desired outcome if they are to survive.  I am sure he is not alone in this ,as he has indicated, and is concerned for his area the Central Districts which covers Trentham.  It happened to us when Hutt Park was shut down, A crying shame ,as it was a beautiful shell /grit track and apart from being plagued by shit weather saw some magnificent racing over the years. Sure Auckland is a place to start ,but let Auckland take care of itself. I cast no aspersions on Trentham  personally, as I  have spent many a day losing money there.

Somewhere along the way (like Pakenham) it has to be attempted . By whom and with what is the million dollar question.

7 minutes ago, globederby12 said:

Insider I am actually a Harness fan and have been for 50 yrs, but am related to someone right in the thick of it on a trainers side with considerable financial backing and lots to lose. I am only reiterating his concerns and ideas on a way through the mire, of which he is genuinely agreed it is the most desired outcome if they are to survive.  I am sure he is not alone in this ,as he has indicated, and is concerned for his area the Central Districts which covers Trentham.  It happened to us when Hutt Park was shut down, A crying shame ,as it was a beautiful shell /grit track and apart from being plagued by shit weather saw some magnificent racing over the years. Sure Auckland is a place to start ,but let Auckland take care of itself. I cast no aspersions on Trentham  personally, as I  have spent many a day losing money there.

Somewhere along the way (like Pakenham) it has to be attempted . By whom and with what is the million dollar question.

We have to change the culture here GD, an all-weather track is a must, well before a Strath. The Poms are closing an icon track, they are building another all-weather! I've said until my nose bleeds, if ever a climate demanded an all-weather NZ does. The mood in VIC as they constructed Geelong was mixed, doubting Thomas's coming out of the woodwork, needless to say, now they are onboard big time. The All Weathers have been the salvation of many a flat trainer in UK, it meant many were able to keep on the staff for a 12 month cycle, previously they either stood down for 4-6 months, went out to Dubai, or if they could, were picked up by a jumps/national hunt stable.....now, those trainers have horses that have adapted to the different synthetics, owners of said horses that are happy as pigs in shit, heavier flat jocks that now get to ride 12 months and can keep their weight in check, and horses with grins that have avoided the 'gun shot' as with their limited ability they at least get to have a crack/second chance on the 'alternate' tracks......it's a win win......here, well Purcell says '' there is no money'' and many have said no way Jose to a synthetic....I say to those, get a life and move with the times!

17 hours ago, Huey said:

Absolute rubbish! You have little knowledge of the contribution that grass roots makes to racing in this country making naive comments like that. If you honestly believe the horse population at these venues would automatically be transferred to your super venues and thus horse numbers and field sizes remain at todays levels then you're delusional.

No one is saying that the grass roots should be the be all and end all of racing in this country all I'm saying is that it should be given its fair share and opportunity to develop , grow and contribute without interference , biased policy and playing favourites etc.

I am absolutely all for the main centres showcasing racing in this country , they should be , however I can't see the point in them dominating the racing landscape to the detriment of other smaller venues who most certainly have their place in NZ racing.  Why for example are some of these major clubs running several industry days a year? What's the point of that? Some with the rail out in the carpark , what does that say to punters? How does that do anything to instill confidence in our product as a betting product?

Some of those days spread among other venues would re-invigorate those venues and add life to those clubs , goodness knows they deserve it.

What youre proposing is what has been on the agenda for years and look where its got us.

Sorry buddy, but you are wrong in your assumption that I have little knowledge.,but I wont go into that. The ground swell from my perspective and those I am in contact with is that this is a preferred way,  We can argue about it until the cows come home, but until someone or something changes the status quo will prevail and we will all be talking as we are now in 5yrs time on Racecafe, somewhat closer to being out of a job and still with no resolution. And please Huey I am not advocating the horse populations all moving to a super venue, I agree that is unworkable.

15 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I think we all agree summer racing Dec through to Jan works.  Plus a few other meetings like NZ Cup week, Te Rapa international day, Karaka Millions, Melbourne Cup day.

So from April through to November it is hard to get people through the gates.  These are also the months we have most our main sports on (rugby, league, soccer) and the weather is at its worst.  So getting full racetracks on these months will not happen again.  What we need to do is maximise the revenue over this period through punting.  This is where we should race on a very few but consistent tracks (eg Avondale, Ruakaka, Te Rapa, Foxton) on consistent days.  Ruakaka every Friday.  If we race on few tracks and ramp up the data available to punters then we might be able to grow the betting turnover. 

There are many reasons why HK racing is so popular, obviously the Asians love a punt (but we are not short of Asians in NZ now), but also because of the consistent tracks and data relating to those tracks.

Generally agree about slashing costs being a short term fix ,but desperate times call for desperate measures here.

A quick glance at the latest 2015/16  NZRB Annual report shows that in the past year net Revenue went up only $13 mil while operating expenses went up $10mil ,including an increase of $3mil in Wages.....also some expenses which were previously Operating are now elsewhere in Turnover related.

NZTR relies on the NZRB contribution to do its thing and despite huge increases in betting turnover etc and record number of new customers etc the contribution has hardly risen since 2008/9 when betting was half. Wages have more than doubled and are basically double that of 2010/11.Thats a massive increase in a few years.

Another telling figure is the latest 'margin' being 12,4% compared with 16.7 - 16.9 % range in 2009 - 2011 years.

Part of the  Wage increase this past year was a one-off buyout of senior staff bonus scheme ...at roadshow John Allen alluded to this,sort of, saying that staff had agreed to foregoing bonuses or words to that effect.

To me it was an admission that maybe things had gotten out of control.

John Allen admitted costs were growing faster than profits , but he did outline his initiatives designed to bring in an extra $50 mil per year...thats a big target and one imagines that there will need to be some 'slash and burn' and without knowing the nitty gritty I'd be starting with wages.

Of course though sales have increased significantly so has competition ...John Allen mentioned how competitors offer up to 100,000 betting options per day compared with 2500 by our TAB.

Two comments TM.

Don't be fooled by the chicanery about turnover increase, about 300 million of it is the pokies since the C4 gaming license was granted.

Every time some dear old lady spins the wheel on the machine these devious bastards count that as turnover !!

Secondly tread warily with John Allen, his comments about competitors offering 100,000 F/O options were only to justify spending another 70 million of our money to build a new F/O platform for our TAB instead of outsourcing ( which would cost nothing and trim our wage costs enormously )

I picked you to be a lot smarter than this TM, the low shysters have sucked you in beautifully !!!!

7 hours ago, Midget said:

Two comments TM.

Don't be fooled by the chicanery about turnover increase, about 300 million of it is the pokies since the C4 gaming license was granted.

Every time some dear old lady spins the wheel on the machine these devious bastards count that as turnover !!

Secondly tread warily with John Allen, his comments about competitors offering 100,000 F/O options were only to justify spending another 70 million of our money to build a new F/O platform for our TAB instead of outsourcing ( which would cost nothing and trim our wage costs enormously )

I picked you to be a lot smarter than this TM, the low shysters have sucked you in beautifully !!!!

Yes, and what they don't tell you is, a good portion of the pokie money is what finances the ever growing wasteful RIU.

17 hours ago, biff said:

We have to change the culture here GD, an all-weather track is a must, well before a Strath. The Poms are closing an icon track, they are building another all-weather! I've said until my nose bleeds, if ever a climate demanded an all-weather NZ does. The mood in VIC as they constructed Geelong was mixed, doubting Thomas's coming out of the woodwork, needless to say, now they are onboard big time. The All Weathers have been the salvation of many a flat trainer in UK, it meant many were able to keep on the staff for a 12 month cycle, previously they either stood down for 4-6 months, went out to Dubai, or if they could, were picked up by a jumps/national hunt stable.....now, those trainers have horses that have adapted to the different synthetics, owners of said horses that are happy as pigs in shit, heavier flat jocks that now get to ride 12 months and can keep their weight in check, and horses with grins that have avoided the 'gun shot' as with their limited ability they at least get to have a crack/second chance on the 'alternate' tracks......it's a win win......here, well Purcell says '' there is no money'' and many have said no way Jose to a synthetic....I say to those, get a life and move with the times!

One thing that needs to be understood with an all-weather track is that it isn't to attract on course attendance, it is to provide a product for off course punters. So in NZ it fairly obviously needs to be at Matamata, where the horses are.

The first one should be in the Waikato, that's obvious, then the CD.........but Purcell said they have no money, maybe a lifelong naming sponsor, to put in a synthetic inside an established venue should be the preferred option, but it needs consensus from industry participants, not a decision from a suit who doesn't know what end kicks.

2 hours ago, aquaman said:

Yes, and what they don't tell you is, a good portion of the pokie money is what finances the ever growing wasteful RIU.

They have a C4 licence, they can use that 23 million as they wish now.

11 hours ago, Midget said:

Two comments TM.

I think the general gist of TM's comments were the fact that costs have blown out of proportion, and that this is a problem that needs addressing - I don't think anyone will disagree with that.  This was in response to an earlier comment that slashing costs is only a short-term fix and that it's an increase in revenue that needs to be the fix to the problem.  

I'm with Tasman Man on this - it doesn't matter how much revenue increases (whether real or artificial through including other revenues in the stats), if there's a problem with the control over the purse strings, the problem will never be fixed as anything coming in at the top will be siphoned off through pay increases / bonuses / new roles.  

it seems clear that the RB obviously want to show an increase in revenue to give the impression of growth and success.  However, to me, having higher revenues with no increase in profitability is not a success at all and they only make themselves look stupid by trying to pass it off as one.  

38 minutes ago, Midget said:

They have a C4 licence, they can use that 23 million as they wish now.

Yes i agree, but there is no incentive to be conservative with industry money. Hence we now have an ever growing RIU that is sucking more and more money from the system. It is becoming an over weighted slug, ever growing, ever creating new rules to justify their stinking existence. Fook them.