RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Eastwood Jaunty

Reefton

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I wondered why Reefton had so many scratchings with the good track, reasonable stakes and bad weather to come later in the circuit.

I'm buggered if I know why we seem to get so many scratching every year. We provide pretty good stakes (for what is supposed to be a $7000 day)and Reefton is clearly the best racing surface on the Coast. Rogerson for instance nominated a heap then scratched them all. Maybe time for a mandatory stand down if a horse is accepted then scratched when the track has not significantly deteriorated?

One thing there has been complaints about is the early closing of noms. Because of (presumably)the bureau not wanting to pay public holiday rates they closed last Thursday four days ahead of the usual time for a Thursday meeting(monday). There were people caught out by that but maybe it is Campbell's revenge for that shitty email I sent.  K Myers specifically mentioned that when I talked to him the day before and there was apparently only one staff member of the bureau working last Monday which he indictated was a bit trying.

33 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

.... there was apparently only one staff member of the bureau working last Monday which he indictated was a bit trying.

They've obviously caught up now. They're already posting news items dated tomorrow!

Final Race Programmed Waikato RC Sunday 22 January

8 Jan

The final race to be programmed at Waikato RC on Sunday 22 January will be a R75 2100m worth $8,000

Final Race Programmed Racing Rotorua Wednesday 18 January

8 Jan

The final race to be programmed at Racing Rotorua on Wednesday 18 January will be a R65 1400m worth $7,000

44 minutes ago, uneasy said:

Definitely a very good reason why horses were scratched

quality of riders would be another 3 jockeys and 10 apprentices.

as to your stand down thoughts that's fine so long as you charge clubs for altering tracks as well 

Re the riders Rogerson had his apprentice Emily Farr down here and presumably had her in mind to ride his horses so no excuse. Did those trainers think we were going to lure Innes & Du Plessis down here? 

It wasn't rocket science to know once CWJ and Sam Wynne got holidays that there would be a lack of senior riders.

As far as altering tracks goes well we didn't alter our track and never have. I am not sure what you are talking about there but if every track was managed like Reefton NZ Racing would be much better.  Having said that it is obviously a lot easier to prepare a one day a year track.

Was not saying there was any thing wrong with Reefton it's always well prepared just as to your thoughts re stand down period too often track conditions change because of human interference one of the reasons I don't race at Invercargill 

There was talk of Alysha Collett riding at Reefton, that would have been a positive, she is the most improved rider in NZ, IMO

You not at Omoto?

Ah I see and apologies for not remembering who Uneasy was Micheal. You and I agree on most things and that applies to this ridiculous obession with irrigation. Reliability of penetrometer readings is another issue as well of course.

I would like to be at the races today but I am a piss poor judge of a winner on a decent track let alone a bog.  I wasn't that impressed with the way they treated you last year either.

This rider issue was a worry to us but I thought the idea of having R J McCann walk those apprentices around that track before the races to be a good one( not ours I might add). Apparently he did the same today at Greymouth. Using the expertise of those who have been there done that is not as common in NZ racing as it should be. I cannot believe D Walsh is not being used right now(even if he does hate Reefton)

Thought the riding on the circuit so far has been ok, shame a few or our senior riders have fallen foul of the judiciary rules, i guess the clubs can't do anything about that, frustrating the scratchings on the day, even with last weeks racing at kurow with sum also in at waikouaiti with riders declared, and really do many back up again, then pull out on the day.

13 minutes ago, Shad said:

Thought the riding on the circuit so far has been ok, shame a few or our senior riders have fallen foul of the judiciary rules, i guess the clubs can't do anything about that, frustrating the scratchings on the day, even with last weeks racing at kurow with sum also in at waikouaiti with riders declared, and really do many back up again, then pull out on the day.

To be fair Shad the scratchings have a limited effect on the Club finances. The funding for those days is essentially set in concrete - the only variable being the percentage of oncourse turnover we get. 

It is a psychological thing of liking to see full fields that's all. When you start out with a 10 horse field then it falls away to 5 starters it is just disappointing. We will survive financially but from being 20 and 30% ahead on and off course respectively prior to those two light races we dropped back to 5 and 20% ahead. Losing CWJ would be detrimental to turnovers as well of course.

Re the riding the heavy track today would prevent a lot of problems but it was a worry prior to Thursday with the number of first time apprentices riding on the course. Insofar as I can see that fear was unfounded.