RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Eastwood Jaunty

Reefton

Was the place to be today, beautiful sunny weather, very good crowd, exciting racing with close finishes, lucky to have the visiting trainers from the north down, otherwise they would struggle for numbers, top day out and to those who didn't attend lets hope they are back next year, a big thank you goes out to Tom and his committee for a job well done. Certainly the best meeting on the coast i reckon.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Was the place to be today, beautiful sunny weather, very good crowd, exciting racing with close finishes, lucky to have the visiting trainers from the north down, otherwise they would struggle for numbers, top day out and to those who didn't attend lets hope they are back next year, a big thank you goes out to Tom and his committee for a job well done. Certainly the best meeting on the coast i reckon.

Thanks Shad. You should have rocked up and introduced yourself. 

Very gratifying to get complimentary comments from the likes of Kevin Myers, Michael Pitman and Jumbo Didham re the presentation of the track and also the standard of racing which I thought, given the number of apprentices in action, might suffer. Turnovers on and off were up, weather was great and all in all a pretty satisfying day.

The weather for the rest if the circuit looks pretty dodgy but good luck to them all. 

Thanks Tom for giving a track that was all done without the expertise from Foskettt and the rest of the cronies from NZTR.

I went next door to the local TAB and did something i won;t do with Purcell in charge but he is on holiday with his 

mother and i won 4k,it would have been a lot more,but Matt  continued to tell me that it was Moriea not Cinderella,so changed my Trifecta,so matt you owe me a beer next time i see you,but true to your mistake you acknowledged your mistake,give me your cell phone number as i would have rang you and say you have the wrong horse and as it was only1k  and you continued to get it wrong.

52 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Thanks Shad. You should have rocked up and introduced yourself. 

Very gratifying to get complimentary comments from the likes of Kevin Myers, Michael Pitman and Jumbo Didham re the presentation of the track and also the standard of racing which I thought, given the number of apprentices in action, might suffer. Turnovers on and off were up, weather was great and all in all a pretty satisfying day.

The weather for the rest if the circuit looks pretty dodgy but good luck to them all. 

It was excellent to see stalwarts like  Grays and Doolans being acknowledged by the way of races named after them.They have supported racing at Reefton for many years,

Tom,i think i rode a horse for the a past president named Bryce Halligan and the horse was named Olga Something and when it when i asked how the fuck did you name the horse,he replied i named after my wife,i felt like a dick,I think it was trained by J Blackadder,nephew of Todd Blackadder

He was a Club stalwart that Bryce Halligan all right and I will remember that name and come  back to you.

The Reefton track is nothing special really nor is its preparation. Easy to do when it is raced on only three times a year - simply don't touch the thing (other than resowing it every seven or eight years). Gary Foskett inspects it every year but I think respects the O'Malleys skills. Those too are a bit of a myth - the Trotting boys do a hell of a lot of work.

Not having to irrigate made it a lot easier as well. It comes naturally here and the riverbed nature means the track drains quickly. 

As I have said previously the most pleasing aspect to me was that the riding was pretty clean which was a bit of a concern before hard given the number of apprentices. The stipes these days have Mouse McCann take all the apprentices around the track(in pied piper style) pre the races and school them up. Not a bad idea.

Truly a delight to listen to the views of one K Myers on all things racing the day before. I hadn't met him before but the nickname doesn't fit the reality. He would have to buy another float to carry all the trainers prizes (two dozen beers per race) he cleaned up yesterday. 

11 hours ago, Midget said:

It was excellent to see stalwarts like  Grays and Doolans being acknowledged by the way of races named after them.They have supported racing at Reefton for many years,

Tom,i think i rode a horse for the a past president named Bryce Halligan and the horse was named Olga Something and when it when i asked how the fuck did you name the horse,he replied i named after my wife,i felt like a dick,I think it was trained by J Blackadder,nephew of Todd Blackadder

That horse wasn't Zend Avesta was it Morty?

I must say when I was a kid you were a master at Reefton especially with your Lalor association. Those boys won plenty on the Coast. 

2 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

That horse wasn't Zend Avesta was it Morty?

I must say when I was a kid you were a master at Reefton especially with your Lalor association. Those boys won plenty on the Coast. 

That was the horse Tom,I felt terrible when i asked him how the hell did you find that name and he said it was his wife's name and i think she was Hungarian,so i just fell into the hole i had dug for myself.

SNR

29 minutes ago, Midget said:

That was the horse Tom,I felt terrible when i asked him how the hell did you find that name and he said it was his wife's name and i think she was Hungarian,so i just fell into the hole i had dug for myself.

SNR

That hole would've been no bigger than a golf divot surely ?

There you'd be, deep in the divot, with your ample snout protruding like the dorsal fin of a 4m shark.

6 hours ago, gubellini said:

Leo you won on Zend Avesta at the Greymouth meeting on 30/11/74. It was the First Division of the Graduation Stakes over 1100m. The Second Division was won by Young Mavis ridden by Graham Mein.

Shows how the West Coast racing community has declined. Zend Avesta owned and trained in Reefton and Young Mavis owned and trained in Ikamatua. Between the two places there were probably 30 in work at the time. Now there are a total of three.

Certainly was a lot of local trainers back then, and what a shame so many have dropped off over the years, i think Brent Gray also had a horse called wandering star that i used to back sum time ago. Graham Mein is a name from the past, think he may have the record for the most winners ridden on the hokitita track, also his son Michael used to ride to, had success on grand gallopers mr aye bee and miles better to name a few, a trip dowm memory lane, so many top horses and good jockeys we have forgotten.Good luck to Greymouth today, just wondered what the reefton turnover was on thursday. Never seem to publish them these days.

2 hours ago, Shad said:

Certainly was a lot of local trainers back then, and what a shame so many have dropped off over the years, i think Brent Gray also had a horse called wandering star that i used to back sum time ago. Graham Mein is a name from the past, think he may have the record for the most winners ridden on the hokitita track, also his son Michael used to ride to, had success on grand gallopers mr aye bee and miles better to name a few, a trip dowm memory lane, so many top horses and good jockeys we have forgotten.Good luck to Greymouth today, just wondered what the reefton turnover was on thursday. Never seem to publish them these offcurse days.

Reefton oncourse $86000 up 5%.  Off course $550000 or thereabouts up 23%. Had we not had those scratching in the two best races it would have been a lot better still.