RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tropical

Trainers and Tracks

Berri.  I never professed to know about soils.  Its common sense that soils are different geographically.  Hell where i live you can go two paddocks down the road and hit a completely different soil type.  It doesn't take a great deal of knowledge to look down. Surely you have more than statistics to base your argument on.  I only have factual information regarding the difference in weight between here and there.  Like i said statistics are misleading and i do not take too much notice of them as they are generally only a fraction of a theory.  

Anyway this was just about trainers and hard tracks to begin with.   

That's not how it read. A racetrack is not a farm. It's a bloody race track that should have a good consistent even surface median that reacts Universally over the entire track. If it doesn't, then someone has to get off their chuff and sort it. Forget your argument that the climate changes...,of course it does but that's no excuse for parts of a track being unsafe. If you keep watering the bloody thing, you keep the roots on the surface. That means it chips off the top and becomes less stable.....are you following this notion?  Before this simple management observation, get the right grass for the soil type and natural drainage. Don't flood the grass with NPK, get its roots deep....natural moisture down there and at the same time the top of the grass plant is firmly anchored. Also more roots, more cushioning. Also if you get the soil biology going, the surface has more air in it and therefore more cushioning. Real simple shit this.

As for your confusion with factual information and statistics, you confuse me by trying to persuade me that your original statements stacked up. Let's call it as it really is....crap. The Sydney vet uni, under Staaden and Konke, made a pretty complete study on horses around the world from a physiological perspective. Most thoroughbred horse nations horses around the World weighed the same in full Racing condition. Your statement that Aussie horses were bigger, with more muscle, is crap..,,something you invented because that's what you thought...no facts. So don't use crap language....said it before....makes you sound like a dick

You are asking for something that will never happen Berri.  Track conditions that every trainer is happy with on any given day.  My arguement is that trainers whinge too much about the hard tracks which they damn well do.  By the sounds of it you seem to have the answer to fixing NZ tracks so why don't you offer up your expertise instead of writing about it. I am not trying to persuade you from anything.  I don't read to much into data gathering statistics as i have said before.  Like i said i rode the things and that was my observation which is fact., i would have thought. You obviously have not been there and done it or you could refute my claim with your own hands on knowledge.  I hope you are not another theorist, because you are sounding like it.    

You seem to be if the opinion that because you rode ( in whatever capacity ) you have the right to dismiss Berri and his opinions.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Cafe is full of contributors who've ridden, or bred, trained, owned, administered blah blah....and they're all entitled to an opinion, just as you are.

Can I tell you though that because you're dismissive of scientific facts and statistics, but you're heavily reliant on your own hands on experience, I'm going to suggest you're an uneducated semi- retired jockey or stable hand who drinks too much, but lives on faded dreams and fantasies whilst keeping yourself busy telling everyone else what they're doing wrong, and this time it's the trainers who happen to love and care about their horses who are your target.

I'll add a little more and say that you have no fucking idea about animal safety and welfare so on that basis alone I'm going to say you're just a loser.

Now return serve please, and start by telling us exactly why you're so wonderful, exactly what you've done, and why we should all listen to you.

Thanks.

I'm going to double tap with Midgie on this one. Do you really think I haven't ridden race horses in both NZ and Aussie? I might be ugly and grey with a few kilos relying on gravity to drag itself around but apart from studying exercise physiology in Aussie, I skived of to do the barriers two days a week in Perth and the Northern race circuit. This was after riding out in the morning. My gap year before going to uni, I didn't spend traveling. Much to my parents chargrin, I worked for Dave O'Sullivan as a stable hand and track work rider.

while I was studying exercise physiology, I also did an Associate Diploma in Agriculture, in particular in soils and agronomy.

So you fool, I'm not a simple theorist. I own a company that manages farms so I see this shit every day. At last port of call we have approx 600,000 sensors in operations on these farms recording everything from rainfall to mice taking a dump.

i have spent 30 odd years trying to convince our learned representatives of the various merits of sensors and systems to improve Racing.... all to little avail because they seem to know better. 

And then a bloke like you starts a thread. .... 

On 1/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, Berri said:

That's not how it read. A racetrack is not a farm. It's a bloody race track that should have a good consistent even surface median that reacts Universally over the entire track. If it doesn't, then someone has to get off their chuff and sort it. Forget your argument that the climate changes...,of course it does but that's no excuse for parts of a track being unsafe. If you keep watering the bloody thing, you keep the roots on the surface. That means it chips off the top and becomes less stable.....are you following this notion?  Before this simple management observation, get the right grass for the soil type and natural drainage. Don't flood the grass with NPK, get its roots deep....natural moisture down there and at the same time the top of the grass plant is firmly anchored. Also more roots, more cushioning. Also if you get the soil biology going, the surface has more air in it and therefore more cushioning. Real simple shit this.

Berri you are 100% correct, totally agree with your comments and over irrigation has been going on for 15 - 20 years. Why I wouldn't know Some track managers are more worried about nice green grass and mow lines than creating a good safe racing surface

20 minutes ago, Blue said:

So are we already holding our collective breath over Thames ? We probably should be because if one horse makes the slightest slip at any part of the card it'll be curtains.

Can't see it being a problem, they only has 15mls anyway and we've had three clear days since.

Should be a nice safe track unless someone has vandalized the irrigation system ( if they even have irrigation and I doubt they do ).

On 1/3/2017 at 1:55 PM, Belinda said:

Actually it is often unevenness rather than hard that causes the most injuries to horses.

You can say the again Belinda..... Get out there guys and walk your course propers...... and I bet you will find some petty big fetlock twisting divets

Berri/Midget why would i care if you listened to me or not.  I had a rant, i have a right, this is a site to do so.  I believe in what i say, i have tested my own theories and have had success doing just that.  The track conditions, the weather are out of my control.  What is not out of my control are where i start my horses and my trainers. Berri get the hell out there and fix our tracks then.  Your expertise could be of use, and Midget you must be a trainer such is your defensive nature.  And alas i am not uneducated or any of the other things you said, other than a stable hand for a while.  Run the gamut of education, SC, UE and then a degree, so sorry to disappoint you.  Track work rider though for a very long time. Uncomfortably Berri we are of the same era, as i track worked for one of Daves' nemesis's.  

Geez you use some weirdo language. DJ didn't have a nemesis. He had fellow trainers in an era of real horsemen where horses weren't "the product ". Don't quite know why anyone would be uncomfortable with being part of that.

Uncomfortable because i might know you, and of course DJ had 'opponents to defeat'!  I always wanted our horses to beat yours, and my boss always wanted to beat Dave.  We shall call it friendly rivalry then!  Suits this era perfectly:)