RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Bruce M

Dillon...Time to Start Wondering

I haven't participated in any of the Dillon-bashing thread until now but really....Today he writes about The Rayners developing and training Start Wondering before they sent it to Waller and that now it has REJOINED their stable.

I noticed that both JJ and Evan acknowledged Paul Belsham in their post race interviews.

I'm primarily a harness fan but I knew the Belsham connection...how could he not know?

It's because Dillo is a lazy journalist and doesn't do his homework or he has a shocking memory. Most racing people knew that he was formerly trained by Paul Belsham prior to going to Chris Waller.

Also had a bit of a chuckle as the horses were coming into the birdcage prior to the start of the Railway and Aidan stated that he was concerned that Start Wondering was having his first start right handed when the horse had won three races at Rosehill.

But Dillo had every opportunity following the race to pick up on the Paul Belsham aspect as it was mentioned a few times afterwards.   

He quoted the trainer and connections of Consensus at length, but never interviewed the connections, and quoted all parties completely incorrectly.....and people wonder why I don't trust the media.....he's just a liar ( be it deliberate or inadvertent ) and should be retired.

Why the NZRB/TAB would even employ him defies belief but I guess that typifies their standards, or lack of standards.

1 hour ago, rdytdy said:

It's because Dillo is a lazy journalist and doesn't do his homework or he has a shocking memory. Most racing people knew that he was formerly trained by Paul Belsham prior to going to Chris Waller.

Also had a bit of a chuckle as the horses were coming into the birdcage prior to the start of the Railway and Aidan stated that he was concerned that Start Wondering was having his first start right handed when the horse had won three races at Rosehill.

But Dillo had every opportunity following the race to pick up on the Paul Belsham aspect as it was mentioned a few times afterwards.   

Rodley is another one who professes to know all....poseurs all of them....:rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, ivanthegreat said:

Both Newspaper lads aren't they ? ......................Seem to have done a fine job helping the daily papers race into irrelevance. 

I mean FFS why else would you buy a paper these days.

To be fair when Aidan was Racing Editor at the Waikato Times he produced the best racing coverage of all the newspapers in the country. Since he has gone the standard has gone downhill.  

Summed up perfectly with the use of "laziness" as the reason. Surely, it is unprofessional and it must cause "some" embarrassment ? I thought it was a certainty based on its recent Oz form at Rosehill, it's weight and a good Jockey. But a scribe, paid to do it, to not be accurate is just pathetic. 

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Mike couldn't hold a candle to Barry Lichter. Barry very informative on both codes. Duane Ranger greatly under used in the harness code.

Duane is a weird little sucker Gub, I dealt with him a lot at ATC and surprises me he is still about. He still uses that tatty notebook, watching him scribbling stuff down after each race. Hasn't caught up with tape recorder technology yet our Duane......:rolleyes:

The article is nonsense. The horse never started at 1600m in Australia but actually won twice at that distance in NZ.

The article could have examined the fact Start Wondering's early racing was geared for longer distances whereas Waller seemed to realize 1200 was better option. 

19 minutes ago, Insider said:

Obviously you haven't been on the receiving end! How come?

I don't keep records of who bags me and who doesn't, but his life partner worked for Metro and they spent years taking me apart.

Nothing personal though, I still rate the guy.

What's he done to you to warrant such a jaundiced view Lizard ?

Forget Lizard to start with. My name is Liz.

Over the years I got fed up purchasing the Sunday Start Times only to find Lichter commenting on something negative rather than something positive. 

It's better to find the best in a person, not the worst. That also applies to everything else in the world.

Not that I am suggesting turning a blind eye to all that is wrong, as you very well know, otherwise I wouldn't be your dear friend.

Liz

8 hours ago, rdytdy said:

After reading that excellent post race review, Dillo should move into a retirement village somewhere as he is obviously past it.     

Oh.....when I read it, I assumed he was writing it from a retirement village, n0?

Even the "no byline" NZTR effort got the story right and bothered to actually interview participants.

http://www.nzracing.co.nz/News/20559/Start-Wondering-sizzles-in-Railway.aspx

They even know how to spell Whanganui which has obviously changed since Dillo moved into the village.