RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hound Fan

Riders

Sorry was just asking I have shares in a horse..lucky sweep ( today at ellerslie)..maybe I don't have clue which I don't....why does a jockey push a horse forward and make it go..and then next minute they are pulling it back....then go again only to pull it up again? As I said today's ride by Sam collet was ordinary in my opinion.....love someone who knows tell me it was a good ride or not...why not just let the horse run if it wants too....I would rather it ran 9th trying rather running 9th  other trying

5 hours ago, Hound Fan said:

Sorry was just asking I have shares in a horse..lucky sweep ( today at ellerslie)..maybe I don't have clue which I don't....why does a jockey push a horse forward and make it go..and then next minute they are pulling it back....then go again only to pull it up again? As I said today's ride by Sam collet was ordinary in my opinion.....love someone who knows tell me it was a good ride or not...why not just let the horse run if it wants too....I would rather it ran 9th trying rather running 9th  other trying

Looked to me like it was getting bumped and banged around by the inside horse

Probably have to cut her some slack this time.

5 hours ago, turny said:

Just watch NZs Premier Champion Jockey CWJohnson - Jockey 101 for a learner

You have got to be joking.

The guy does have some magic about him but he is hardly textbook or someone who should be a model of a young jockey to follow. He rides like a cowboy and has almost no strength or aggression at all. He's just one of the best of a shocking lot down there.

Aus/hk jocks would be a much better idea.

Sicko you might need to spend more time around top class jockeys.

Strength and aggression are a small ( but agreed important ) part of the repertoire, but horses who're subjected to long term strength and aggression invariably burn out, break down, or turn dog and stop trying.

The best riders are those who focus on balance, their body position, kind hands ( think OP, and to a lesser extent the rapidly improving Alysha Collett, Cookie, Mark Hills, Micky Coleman, and of course the great CWJ ) these are the riders for whom horses run, because they want to run, the riders give the horse a "feel" and it happens, and the beauty of it is that the horse will go home unhurt, it'll eat up, it won't develop a dislike for the game because it's not being beaten up every start, and everyone is a winner. 

Go watch Hong Kong, sometimes you'll see an entire field there go to the line without one single jockey turning the stick over or kicking a horse in the old style.

Think modern Sicko, think about animal welfare, but most of all think about balance not just strength and aggression.

4 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Midget spot on. Hayden Tinsley a very kind rider as well. He excels when the tracks are heavy. Nurses his mounts and puts away the stick while other riders are thrashing their horses and not keeping them balanced.

Yep, forgot Wuzz, another of my personal faves.

6 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

You have got to be joking.

The guy does have some magic about him but he is hardly textbook or someone who should be a model of a young jockey to follow. He rides like a cowboy and has almost no strength or aggression at all. He's just one of the best of a shocking lot down there.

Aus/hk jocks would be a much better idea.

Have a look at the Starvoia ride and tell me that a jockey with arms and legs everywhere and a whip flailing would have got that horse home.

11 hours ago, Leggy said:

And never took his hands off the reins. Probably only bettered over the Christmas period by the ride on Gottagetmywoohoo.

I just watched that race. Good ride and what a good commentator. The South is very lucky to have a jockey like CWJ and  a commentator like Mark Mac,. They lift the quality of any meeting down there.

12 hours ago, turny said:

Just watch NZs Premier Champion Jockey CWJohnson - Jockey 101 for a learner

Watch his ride at Ashburton last Friday week in the first race and tell me if that is the type of rider we want on our tracks.

Should have got 3 months not the pathetic 2 weeks. Why the charge was down graded by JCA  will go down as a total mystery !!!!!!

2 hours ago, Midget said:

Sicko you might need to spend more time around top class jockeys.

Strength and aggression are a small ( but agreed important ) part of the repertoire, but horses who're subjected to long term strength and aggression invariably burn out, break down, or turn dog and stop trying.

The best riders are those who focus on balance, their body position, kind hands ( think OP, and to a lesser extent the rapidly improving Alysha Collett, Cookie, Mark Hills, Micky Coleman, and of course the great CWJ ) these are the riders for whom horses run, because they want to run, the riders give the horse a "feel" and it happens, and the beauty of it is that the horse will go home unhurt, it'll eat up, it won't develop a dislike for the game because it's not being beaten up every start, and everyone is a winner. 

Go watch Hong Kong, sometimes you'll see an entire field there go to the line without one single jockey turning the stick over or kicking a horse in the old style.

Think modern Sicko, think about animal welfare, but most of all think about balance not just strength and aggression.

Trying to favourably compare Chris Johnson with riders like Moreira, Purton and Whyte is quite frankly embarassing. A large percentage of South Island jockeys need their licenses revoked immediately. But thanks for the condescending, inept reply. Real jockeys can focus on balance, body position, hands, feel and still be able to ride one out.

I'm not in any way condoning bashing a horse out of contention. Some of CJs rides of late he should be getting a very long holiday.

7 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

Trying to favourably compare Chris Johnson with riders like Moreira, Purton and Whyte is quite frankly embarassing. A large percentage of South Island jockeys need their licenses revoked immediately. But thanks for the condescending, inept reply. Real jockeys can focus on balance, body position, hands, feel and still be able to ride one out.

I'm not in any way condoning bashing a horse out of contention. Some of CJs rides of late he should be getting a very long holiday.

Can you give us an example or two Sicko?

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

I just watched that race. Good ride and what a good commentator. The South is very lucky to have a jockey like CWJ and  a commentator like Mark Mac,. They lift the quality of any meeting down there.

It's a good example of exactly what Midget was talking about. Gets the horse in the open, niggles and coaxes and keeps it balanced until finally it changes legs coming to the 200, then says go. Might not look like he's doing much from there because of the flat back and still body but have a look at the head on. He's doing plenty, all without turning the stick over. Not knocking the rider at all, but look at the horse's previous run and it came down the straight like a crab on it's tired left lead just whacking away and only changed going to the line when the rider let up on it.

48 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

I think you have to factor in Sicko that he is hardly riding horses like Winx. The winner discussed above from Timaru paid $18 in an eight horse field, even with him up.

The one thing we don't see much of these days are his front running skills. Everyone associates him with storming home from the back of the field. One of the great CWJ rides of all time was his Oaks win on Domino. If I recall correctly he dominated the Oaks from that era. Not many of his contemporaries from then still going around.

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Midget spot on. Hayden Tinsley a very kind rider as well. He excels when the tracks are heavy. Nurses his mounts and puts away the stick while other riders are thrashing their horses and not keeping them balanced.

And Leith Innes....;)

2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I think you have to factor in Sicko that he is hardly riding horses like Winx. The winner discussed above from Timaru paid $18 in an eight horse field, even with him up.

The one thing we don't see much of these days are his front running skills. Everyone associates him with storming home from the back of the field. One of the great CWJ rides of all time was his Oaks win on Domino. If I recall correctly he dominated the Oaks from that era. Not many of his contemporaries from then still going around.

I'm factoring that he is riding against potatoes. Which is why he can still ride winners even though he rides like a 75yo.

He was good 20 years ago. Not world class but very good for a South Island rider.

13 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

I'm factoring that he is riding against potatoes. Which is why he can still ride winners even though he rides like a 75yo.

He was good 15 years ago. Not world class but very good for a South Island rider.

15 years ago was about 2001 wasn't it Sicko? Given he wasn't riding from FY98 to FY06, I don't think your opinion has much substance. Your opinion may be a potato though. How many winners have you ridden?

3 minutes ago, Leggy said:

15 years ago was about 2001 wasn't Sicko? Given he wasn't riding from FY98 to FY06, I don't think your opinion has much substance.

Sorry bud. I meant prior to his not riding period. So 98.

Please forgive me. I have edited my post now.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

15 years ago was about 2001 wasn't it Sicko? Given he wasn't riding from FY98 to FY06, I don't think your opinion has much substance. Your opinion may be a potato though. How many winners have you ridden?

None.

So I have to be a jockey to have a basic understanding or opinion of which jockeys are good or bad?

Or I just have to agree with you.... oh god of riding....

Typical fallback garbage argument.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

Interesting when LAO got a holiday, it was CWJ WAS THE RIDER HE RECOMMENDED to Jim Campin to ride Domino in the oaks and also when D Browne was interviewed he stated that CWJ was the rider he admired the most.

SNR

26 years ago right?