RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

It's over for Awapuni in its current form.

Leggy, you are down that way. Are you aware if there are any problems with the Otaki track? 

The last couple of meetings the 1600m shute has not been used and last meeting the 1400m start was shifted forward somewhere between 25 and 50 metres without anyone being advised including the stipes. It was only revealed when the time for the race was announced and the stipes investigated. 

8 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

Leggy, you are down that way. Are you aware if there is a problems with the Otaki track? 

The last couple of meetings the 1600m shute has not been used and last meeting the 1400m start was shifted forward somewhere between 25 and 50 metres without anyone being advised including the stipes. It was only revealed when the time for the race was announced and the stipes investigated. 

Did they not start those races from the old 1600m chute because of the wet patch at the 1400 or did I misunderstand that?

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Did they not start those races from the old 1600m chute because of the wet patch at the 1400 or did I misunderstand that?

OK, just had a look and you are right. The last couple of meetings used the course proper starts, not the chute. Probably need to talk to a rider or two to see if their is any issue with the track.

3 hours ago, Leggy said:

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing/MO60261/Transfer-of-Awapuni-dates-not-universally-popular

Obviously mixed opinions about this decision. Sounds like the RIU and jockeys held sway over the club, trainers and track experts (who evidently didn't include Foskett).

The meeting lasted five hours.

Foskett was a no show, and it's reported he said it was because "there's nothing wrong with that track" ...mmmmmmm...extraordinary if true and a reflection of his competence.

Why the track experts had any say in safety matters bewilders me, they know nothing about safety or horse behaviour and should only consider soil and grass, turf matters.

Imagine if Tinsley decided they needed a late flowering perennial rye rooted to 15cm before he'd recommend they ride again .... it's laughable but it's about as relevant.

The trainers, GV, Roydon, can't remember who else, and the club officials, Alistair Robertson, track manager Kim Treweek, were united and insisted it was safe.

The RIU, Oatham and Goodwin, were always of the opinion it was marginal at best and probably not safe.

Five jockeys attended. JK Riddell left early.

Daryl Bradley was of the opinion it wasn't safe.

Rosie Myers was mixed but had doubts.

Tinsley and Hannam both thought it was safe initially but became doubtful during the meeting and so sought advice from an independent person. After that advice which involved a series of questions, they both decided it was unsafe and too risky.

In summary, the usual story prevails. Anyone who doesn't have to ride on it says it's safe and racing should proceed, but the jockeys who do have to ride on it say it's not, unanimously in this case.

Ask yourself, if the jockeys think it's not safe should we even contemplate proceeding ? Usually the jockeys lose money making these decisions after all, but more importantly, if they get it wrong they lose flesh and blood, and they're the experts after all, when riding at speed they feel things happening that fat bastards in the stand can't even begin to imagine.

I applaud the RIU too for having the courage to finally address this chronic problem, and to bring matters to a head. They're acting responsibly and I suspect they may have had some legal advice on what used to be described as criminal negligence ( but I think they call it something else now ).

To close, you're going to see a lot more of this. The world is changing, a modern workplace has to be safe within reason, and the old values ( they're only jockeys, she'll be right, they're frightened, we'd have ridden in my day ) they all have to change because they're both morally and legally wrong.

It would appear that once there is the slightest sniff of danger in any workplace, the Heath $ Safety Act comes

into play  and adminstrators, employers and all and sundry become liable.  No wonder Stipes, Club officials and

others run for cover.    Peter Cullen, an employment lawyer wrote a concise opinion piece on the Stuff website

covering the responsibilites of employers and others - it is worth a read.(It relates to Solid Energy/Pike River but is still relevant to any workplace)

Yes, ardeea, a good piece about the legislation which has changed the playing field this year, including personal, not just organisational liability, despite the irony of its effect in the Pike River case. I think this is the piece you mean. http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/business/87770769/Peter-Cullen-Solid-Energy-runs-huge-legal-risk-re-entering-Pike-River-mine

In light of that and based on Midget's report of yesterday's meeting, I'm a bit surprised by the seemingly cavalier attitude to health and safety issues of the magnitude under consideration by the club, the trainers, and indeed the turf experts, who as Midget points out, would surely have been there to inform potential remedies rather than comment on safety of the track as it stands?

14 hours ago, 2Admin2 said:

I would have thought that they would transfer the meeting to Ruakaka?

Sure, then watch their sponsors pull out in droves.

Been involved in a similar thing with a harness meeting transferred to Auckland. No advantage to sponsors and their families and friends, don't, can't or won't attend so withdraw their support. Works in theory but not in practice.

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Sure, then watch their sponsors pull out in droves.

Been involved in a similar thing with a harness meeting transferred to Auckland. No advantage to sponsors and their families and friends, don't, can't or won't attend so withdraw their support. Works in theory but not in practice.

I believe you will find 2Admin2's comments were very much "tongue in cheek" Blue. 

After reading this morning's Herald "Decision On Awapuni Racecourse Called Diabolical" and what Gary Vile has to say what does one think looking from the outside?

Two turf experts, one brought in from Australia with a huge amount of experience in two countries state the track is safe. The course manager, himself a former jockey states it is safe. Club officials and trainers say it is safe.

On the other hand the jockeys that attended say it isn't after some indecision,  along with the RIU.

There has been no information come out of the 5 hour meeting to say exactly what the problem is. (Midget, do you know what the rider's concerns are and can you advise accordingly).

My concern is, if any problem has not been identified then how can the cause be rectified?  In essence what work will be carried out?  

could be worse - I was just reading this on punters.com.au:

Balaklava Racing Club

2016 was a year to forget for this South Australian race club. On May 11 stewards decided to shorten a race by 150m... less than 20 minutes before the race jumped! In addition to the distance change, two horses were loaded into the wrong barriers which was only picked up after the race. The result of the race stood but the rest of the meeting was abandoned after stewards deemed the track was unsafe. 

On August 31, the club's feature race - the Listed Balaklava Cup - was reduced from 1600m to 1300m due to a softer section of the track. Race nine on the program was also reduced from 1600m to 1300m, whilst race four was abandoned altogether. Some bookmakers offered refunds if punters contacted customer service but many were left high and dry (unlike the track) because they weren't aware of the dramatic change until it was too late.

On November 20, a sprinkler malfunction meant that the meeting was run on a surface that had three different ratings - Firm 2, Good 3 and Heavy 8. Horses went from a firm track at the 1350m to a heavy at the 1300m, and then back to firm passing the 1100m. 

19 minutes ago, Midget said:

Oh I don't know, it just sounds like another day at the office here in NZ doesn't it ?

Pretty much. And we now have this for Otaki. Sounds like the 1400 area is stuffed.

Please note that Race 7 originally advertised over 1400m will now be run over 1350m.

The 1600m races will start from the old chute.

10 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Pretty much. And we now have this for Otaki. Sounds like the 1400 area is stuffed.

Please note that Race 7 originally advertised over 1400m will now be run over 1350m.

I doubt too many NZ meetings are run with correctly calibrated distances, you only need look at the times 

In New Zealand, you would expect that there are enough people around with expertise in growing grass. Farmers have been doing it for many years. Also, just outside Palmerston North, past the end of the airport runway, on Milson Line, there was a building called the Turf Culture Institute, devoted to the study of grass. Who knows what it is called now after several re-organisations? Possibly, there is an association of course managers in N.Z., as one would expect/hope that these professionals have some qualifications and expertise to rely on. Are they being mishandled by club committees? That an official didn't show at the meeting, to confirm that 'the track was safe', is unacceptable, or should be to his employer.

The Manawatu Racing Club/R.A.CE. spent millions of dollars a few years back, on a new, public grandstand. That is what you were expected to do - STAND, as there was very little seating provided. Was it a cunning plan to control drunkenness - if somebody fell on the floor, you stopped the supply of alcohol?

Midget - must agree with you about calibration of tracks. Example - the size and shape of West Coast tracks would be such as to make a full gallop difficult. Don't rely on the diagrams of courses on N.Z.T.R. web-site either. A look at the Satellite images will show how awful the diagrams are.

31 minutes ago, Leggy said:

As i asked you yesterday Leggy regarding the above were you able to find out anything. (You will note that the previous two meetings they were both started on Dead tracks also).     

Guest 2Admin2
4 minutes ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

In New Zealand, you would expect that there are enough people around with expertise in growing grass. Farmers have been doing it for many years. 

It's not about growing grass afterall anyone can grow grass just look at your front lawn.  What farmers have learnt to do is rejuvenate pasture on a cyclical basis.  When was the last time we saw a NZ race track mothballed while work was done to rejuvenate a system that must be high wearing and sustain considerable mechanical forces?

A racecourse rejuvenation involves a complete makeover of soil structure, camber, drainage and finally sowing good grass.

Don't mention Counties as that is still a work in progress!

4 hours ago, rdytdy said:

After reading this morning's Herald "Decision On Awapuni Racecourse Called Diabolical" and what Gary Vile has to say what does one think looking from the outside?

Two turf experts, one brought in from Australia with a huge amount of experience in two countries state the track is safe. The course manager, himself a former jockey states it is safe. Club officials and trainers say it is safe.

On the other hand the jockeys that attended say it isn't after some indecision,  along with the RIU.

There has been no information come out of the 5 hour meeting to say exactly what the problem is. (Midget, do you know what the rider's concerns are and can you advise accordingly).

My concern is, if any problem has not been identified then how can the cause be rectified?  In essence what work will be carried out?  

Seriously Ted !!

All riders were unanimous, and as for the problem, it's been discussed adinfinitum here, one licenced trainer who spoke up nearly got rubbed out over it, an RIU member of staff refused to officiate in certain conditions.

Don't you read what others write Ted ?

26 minutes ago, Phar Lap Fan said:

In New Zealand, you would expect that there are enough people around with expertise in growing grass. Farmers have been doing it for many years. Also, just outside Palmerston North, past the end of the airport runway, on Milson Line, there was a building called the Turf Culture Institute, devoted to the study of grass. Who knows what it is called now after several re-organisations? Possibly, there is an association of course managers in N.Z., as one would expect/hope that these professionals have some qualifications and expertise to rely on. Are they being mishandled by club committees? That an official didn't show at the meeting, to confirm that 'the track was safe', is unacceptable, or should be to his employer.

I'm sure the technology is there, but the problem is finding someone to pay for all the track upgrades and maintenance.