RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Raptor

Pronunciation of runners, Jockeys and Venues etc

He's a shocker. He's the only bloke I know who can pronounce a horse's name four different ways in 60 seconds without getting it right once. But again it's not his fault, it's the fault of whoever decided to put him on air. And he is certainly not at the only guilty party at Radio Trackside or TAB Trackside. Still waiting for someone to pronounce Cartagena correctly... 

1 hour ago, Steve Paul said:

I actually think he is rather entertaining in a 'car crash' sort of way!

Often find myself trying to predict how he will pronounce certain words and how many variations we will get on the same word.

Love it when he is on and Dominic Tournuer is riding! 

Not to mention Anthony Darmanin, usually comes out as dar main e in.

Speaking of pronunciations,there many Kiwi commentators pronounce Goulburn .... Gool burn,having lived in NSW for 40 yrs it is pronounced Gol burn,I cringe.Whilst living there most Aussie race callers took time to gather the correct pronunciation of a horse's name,sometimes asking the trainer or owner,nothing worse than as an owner to have your horse's name pronounced poorly.

On 7/17/2017 at 1:24 PM, kdt said:

Not to mention Anthony Darmanin, usually comes out as dar main e in.

I wonder how he'd cope with some of the names of old - Peter Willonyx, Fatehpur Sikri, Xerxes, Iechyd, Emphatique. I shudder to think. Is he also the guy who says "haREWA' instead of HaWERA?

I should be on Trackside, then we'd get great use of the English language, the lexicon of the learned, intelligent comments ( God forbid having someone intelligent on that shitshow ) and a good few "f...." thrown in when required, .....