RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
alltheway!!!

New Competition

Give both clubs 5-6 years declining dogs and participants, declining cash reserves poor local surpport in Auckland with a poor virbant atmosphere. Cambridge has a far better atmosphere for a family outing with space to move and you dont have to worry about tripping over used condoms etc.

Look I have not come on this site for a while because I speak my mind to much.....both  northen clubs have 3 major problems  ..1..

..is the selection criteria that does not allow them to combine grades until all avenues have been explored...so they reopen noms and then local trainers miss out..2..auckland is in the worst conditioned  track wise... staff wise it has been in my 47 years in the sport....3...where do the young ones go to get a foot in to auckland and waikato training dogs...they never will ...we only have to look were the head off the board got all his dogs now...cd....for the first time ever I believe grnz should close auckland and race there meetings at cambridge....I for one will be cutting down in dogs and moving to the cd..taupo..as our boss has clearly indicated that's were the future of our sport lies..

3 hours ago, alltheway!!! said:

Obviously didn't want to do the work, had 5-6hrs to fix it with no rain and windy

For me as an owner who has spent a lot of money over the last few years it gives me no encouragement to keep spending. It's almost as if they just could not be bothered today. As for Manukau , it seems to be running into the ground with no new initiatives or invention . again , can they be bothered there or is it run by dinosaurs with no eye on the future.

Like it has already been pointed out, Cambridge obviously is not much better than Auckland if it takes a few light showers to abandon an entire meeting 7-8 hrs prior to the first race, that's a joke. The Auckland and Cambridge clubs are the laughing stock of NZ greyhounds. I dont know how you can favor one track and not the other. 

As I said when the head off our board takes all his dogs from the northen region what does that tell you....now palmy have 5 extra races as does wanganui...clever our boss predicting this and moving his dogs south.....and God bless them they get a extra group one...pure chance....thank christ we could not call it a conflict off intresting..

I really shouldn't weigh into this debate but some people have no idea what they are talking about. I will merely comment on the track today as I am the Track Manager at Cambridge.

The track was power harrowed on the weekend and any time tgis task is undertaken the track is susceptible to a softening up period whilst it beds back down. If anyone knows  anything about track maintenance and any curator will tell you the same light rain is the last thing you want to see in the hours before a meeting after turning it in the few days prior. Would much prefer a heavy rain or a downpour as it actually packs the track down firmer. If you don't know this then you know nothing about track preparation and shouldn't comment.

This task has to be undertaken from time to time to prevent time as tracks becoming too hard which can happen after heavy rain or if they happen to dry out which should never happen. Sometimes though these things are out of our control. As Cambridge is a shared venue other events take place there and ten days ago the annual A & P Show was held there hence the track was being utilised and couldn't be watered as much as I would have liked. Surprisingly it came through not too badly but due to the high winds it had dried out considerably and some sand was obviously blown off the track as well. Rain was forecast last week so whilst the track needed power harrowing I held off doing it to avoid risking the very situation that has unfolded today. The projected forecast last weekend was for good weather throughout this week so the time seemed right. On Sunday evening that forecast changed and this time they were right.          

You check the long range forecast and pick a time when the weather is supposed to be good for trhe period leading up to a race meeting before turning a track. The forecasters don't always get it right so it can be a fine line sometimes. I take exception to being told no attempt was made to fix the track in time as that is crap. The weather and forecast looked ominous yesterday so action was taken immediately to try and prevent it softening up. I inspected the track this morning at 8.00am and it was raining.as it had been since around midnight. It wasn't too bad but by 9.00am it was considerably softer so I contacted the club secretary and stewards and local trainers amnd arranged a track inspection for 10am.The track had softened even more as the light rain continued.

All present were unanimous in that the track was too soft at that time. Now before making the decision to call it off however we firstly had to take into account other factors. Is the forecast for improved conditions, If it is going to fine up then it would only need a couple of hours for it to dry sufficiently for the meeting to proceed.The forecast was to the contrary and for more of the same which indeed proved correct as it was drizzly and showery throughout the day and still is. Absolutely no wind and no drying conditions despite what someone has stated in this thread. I was still at the track at 3.00pm and still couldn't get the tractor onto it.   

So do you make the early call and save everyone the time and expense of travelling to the track hoping for a miracle or let them all waste their time. The right call was made.   

I have been involved in the industry for over 40 years in many different facets and have been looking after tracks for the majority of those years. I have done anything and everything in my power and always will to ensure a meeting goes ahead no matter what the weather or other extenuating circumstances has thrown at me. Shovelling sand back on a track at 2.00am in the morning after storms or floods is all part and parcel of the job and if that's what it takes then it'll be done. The only other meeting called off Cambridge under my care (co-incindentally) was the corresponding meeting in 2013. Iam also and owner and trainer and know the disappointment an abandonment can cause but can assure you no-one is more dirty on losing today's meeting than me.      

4 minutes ago, bunyarra said:

I really shouldn't weigh into this debate but some people have no idea what they are talking about. I will merely comment on the track today as I am the Track Manager at Cambridge.

The track was power harrowed on the weekend and any time tgis task is undertaken the track is susceptible to a softening up period whilst it beds back down. If anyone knows  anything about track maintenance and any curator will tell you the same light rain is the last thing you want to see in the hours before a meeting after turning it in the few days prior. Would much prefer a heavy rain or a downpour as it actually packs the track down firmer. If you don't know this then you know nothing about track preparation and shouldn't comment.

This task has to be undertaken from time to time to prevent time as tracks becoming too hard which can happen after heavy rain or if they happen to dry out which should never happen. Sometimes though these things are out of our control. As Cambridge is a shared venue other events take place there and ten days ago the annual A & P Show was held there hence the track was being utilised and couldn't be watered as much as I would have liked. Surprisingly it came through not too badly but due to the high winds it had dried out considerably and some sand was obviously blown off the track as well. Rain was forecast last week so whilst the track needed power harrowing I held off doing it to avoid risking the very situation that has unfolded today. The projected forecast last weekend was for good weather throughout this week so the time seemed right. On Sunday evening that forecast changed and this time they were right.          

You check the long range forecast and pick a time when the weather is supposed to be good for trhe period leading up to a race meeting before turning a track. The forecasters don't always get it right so it can be a fine line sometimes. I take exception to being told no attempt was made to fix the track in time as that is crap. The weather and forecast looked ominous yesterday so action was taken immediately to try and prevent it softening up. I inspected the track this morning at 8.00am and it was raining.as it had been since around midnight. It wasn't too bad but by 9.00am it was considerably softer so I contacted the club secretary and stewards and local trainers amnd arranged a track inspection for 10am.The track had softened even more as the light rain continued.

All present were unanimous in that the track was too soft at that time. Now before making the decision to call it off however we firstly had to take into account other factors. Is the forecast for improved conditions, If it is going to fine up then it would only need a couple of hours for it to dry sufficiently for the meeting to proceed.The forecast was to the contrary and for more of the same which indeed proved correct as it was drizzly and showery throughout the day and still is. Absolutely no wind and no drying conditions despite what someone has stated in this thread. I was still at the track at 3.00pm and still couldn't get the tractor onto it.   

So do you make the early call and save everyone the time and expense of travelling to the track hoping for a miracle or let them all waste their time. The right call was made.   

I have been involved in the industry for over 40 years in many different facets and have been looking after tracks for the majority of those years. I have done anything and everything in my power and always will to ensure a meeting goes ahead no matter what the weather or other extenuating circumstances has thrown at me. Shovelling sand back on a track at 2.00am in the morning after storms or floods is all part and parcel of the job and if that's what it takes then it'll be done. The only other meeting called off Cambridge under my care (co-incindentally) was the corresponding meeting in 2013. Iam also and owner and trainer and know the disappointment an abandonment can cause but can assure you no-one is more dirty on losing today's meeting than me.      

Your in depth explanation might shut the keyboard warriors up Greg we can only hope. Thanks for coming on here and giving everyone the info. I'm sure yourself are as disappointed as ever over today's situation. Keep up the great work.

1 hour ago, bunyarra said:

Exact same problem at Warnambool tonight. Track was lightly harrowed on Monday, had only showers of rain today, no more than 5mm but the track ended up being in a condition stewards deemed unsuitable for racing. Unfortunately for us this final decision was made after kennelling finished, resulting in a 5 hour round trip for an 8th of prizemoney. A lot further for some other trainers. 

Of note, I didn't hear one unhappy person with the decision stewards made.  All it would have taken is one bad injury an the stewards have made the wrong decision, so I was happy to take 4 sound dogs home to race another day on a safer track.

James. 

3 hours ago, Sheepy said:

resulting in a 5 hour round trip for an 8th of prizemoney. 

Don't think any prize money given out here ? Greg , you do a great job with the track , but i think that unfortunately people , myself included are just so frustrated with many things going on in greyhound racing in the north that they let it come out sometimes. This is not just a few that comment on here. If my comment offended i am sorry but it won't change my opinion that things up here are declining. Jason if you were involved up here you would feel our frustrations. Lottabull the welfare of the dog is the most important thing , I would scratch my own dog rather than race on an unsafe track ( and i have ) . Tony

Greg I was not having a go at you at all..I think the cambridge track is prepared fantastic....infact i stated auckland should close and move to cambridge ....my go is the lack of races at both venues and when you nominate 9 dogs get two in and then they only card 10 races.......so when we lose another meeting and your trying to make a living it gets enjoying.....again I'm not blaming anyone for the weather..

No worries Steve- wasn't aimed at you - just the topic starter who to have his mouth in gear and brain in neutral. 

By 11.00am this morning the track was in perfect shape. As I said it can be a fine line with the weather. 

Actually couldn't agree with you more in the point about nominating and not getting all dogs drawn, especially when they can't card twelve races. We have been experiencing the same problem. I believe the committee is also looking at ways to address it.

Simply asking why the meeting was abandoned. Nice too see someone answering the question instead of nothing being said to anyone as per usual. As for the numbers up North, where does everyones dogs go? They have 1 or 2 qualifying trials every week at Auckland yet we don't see those dogs get too the track. The lack of numbers is a worry that's for sure but I am also certain that the numbers will return eventually. As for the CD tracks, Id race at Auckland over Wanganui any day of the week, its still as bad as ever.

On 11/12/2016 at 8:42 AM, stoptheshit said:

Jake do you ever just quit been negative every post you put up is its people like you that hurts the industry not helps your the ultimate keyboard warrior

So asking questions about the integrity of the industry hurts it? Hard to stay positive about an industry when we let drug cheats get of scott free (the steroid incident and last yrs NZ cup final night which is awful), yet they will punish people over procaine, we have an industry that shows complete lack of respect to the punter, we allow foreign objects to affect a dog and not scratch them as a foreign object couldnt affect a dog in a race. We have a grading system thats glitched and cant even grade dogs right and hasnt been working right for a while. People abusing stipes and getting nothing while others lose their license over nothing. The stipes cant even give an honest report of a race now. Many people are over crap like this. Like I have said before. NZ greyhounds doesnt need antis as the NZGRA are doing a great job for them already