RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

John Key gone

Hot Hayley must have scared him off. 

Hayley Holt to run for Parliament as Green Party candidate, may stand against John Key in Helensville

5:00 AM Monday Dec 5, 2016

Hayley Holt is aware of the increased scrutiny she will face as a politician. Photo / Dean Purcell

TV presenter and sportswoman Hayley Holt will stand for the Green Party at next year's general election.

In a major coup for the Greens, the popular broadcaster, former competitive snowboarder and environmental activist has formally signed up as a candidate and will be added to the party's list.

And while the Crowd Goes Wild and Back Benches star has not yet been selected for an electorate, she is considering a bid for the Helensville seat held by Prime Minister John Key.

Hesi you are forgetting that many people in Auckland are bloody joyous that house prices have sky rocketed, an economic reality that neither party could have done much to avoid.

You are happy for a party to take over (Labour) who 2/3 of the country don't want?. thankfully majority rules under MMP.

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Hot Hayley must have scared him off. 

Hayley Holt to run for Parliament as Green Party candidate, may stand against John Key in Helensville

5:00 AM Monday Dec 5, 2016

Hayley Holt is aware of the increased scrutiny she will face as a politician. Photo / Dean Purcell

TV presenter and sportswoman Hayley Holt will stand for the Green Party at next year's general election.

In a major coup for the Greens, the popular broadcaster, former competitive snowboarder and environmental activist has formally signed up as a candidate and will be added to the party's list.

And while the Crowd Goes Wild and Back Benches star has not yet been selected for an electorate, she is considering a bid for the Helensville seat held by Prime Minister John Key.

What a joke.....so she should fit right in with the Greens....:rolleyes:

Hesi, we were lucky enough to have sold up in Chatswood Sydney 2 years ago to fund our move back to NZ.......unfortunately/fortunately the demand from China is so great we listed on a Thursday and sold on the first viewing Saturday.  So we are the other part of the equation.  However this is a world wide issue.  We were only talking with a couple from Toronto and they say its the same in Canada.  Its the same in South Africa, so we're not the only people with this problem.

In saying that, the NZ economy is doing well albeit dependent on the export market but whilst I do think John Key has turned things around rather markedly, I do believe he is now the "teflon" man - nothing sticks.  From my observation, corporate NZ tends to get away with things that would not be possible elsewhere.  Corporate NZ gets an easy ride here  - low wages for those working in major retail outlets whilst pricing is out of control.  Most Kiwi's have been able to travel so surely they see the disparity between pricing in NZ and elsewhere.  I don't believe politicians ever question why this is so due to the very cosy relationship big business has with government. I don't believe this will ever change as the precedent has been set.  But its going to be a very interesting 18 months, whatever way things develops!

18 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

You can't have it both ways.

I agree Crusty.

Regarding house prices, we are approaching the logical end game, and no amount of hand wringing or government policy will change that. 

Just as in every other major city, the population growth outstrips available land supply, leaving new entrants no option other than to rent, move cities, or inherit from their parents.

If I'd have lived in Auckland 100 years ago, I could have had 20 acres in Ellerslie, however my first house (20yrs ago) was a little 2-bed cottage in deepest West Auckland. And now it's different again.

There will be surges in price and declines as policy and seasonality have (relatively) minor effects, but when smoothed, house prices will pretty much go straight up, and continue to do so while our population increases.

And make no mistake, our population (largely via immigration) will continue to rise. Take a look around, this is the best place in the world (stagnating racing industry notwithstanding).

1 hour ago, crustyngrizzly said:

Over all i think John Key was the right man for the time.

As far as house prices go it could have gone the other way and we could have had people walking off their properties rather than see prices rise.

Whatever your political persuasion Crusty, I don't think anyone could argue that John Key has done a brilliant job for the Country both Domestically and Internationally. He has had to face some monumental challenges, the Earthquakes and Financial downturn being just two of them, and handled them pretty well for most. The responses from World Leaders to his resignation spoke volumes for the esteem he is held in.  The rise in house prices has been a symptom of supply and demand economics and would have happened no matter who was in power. While Immigration goes on largely unchecked, it won't be changing anytime soon.

I saw him give a couple of speeches in Australia a few years back to Press Club and Commerce gatherings and they were, without doubt, the most impressive speeches I have ever seen from a NZ PM. He spoke without notes and reeled off facts and figures without pausing, answering every question that was asked at the end of the session.The Australians were hugely impressed and gave him a huge ovation at the end, pretty rare over there....!!

The headline in the Press next day said something like " We could do with John Key over here....".  ;)

On 06/12/2016 at 9:50 AM, crustyngrizzly said:

Over all i think John Key was the right man for the time.

As far as house prices go it could have gone the other way and we could have had people walking off their properties rather than see prices rise.

Keep watching Crusty. We might yet see people walking off their properties.