RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

A grovelling apology

The heavies from the WRC have been phoning and threatening me with extreme violence ( read slap on hand ) if I don't withdraw the true and accurate comments I made about the dirty old Trentham track.

I saw only one race Saturday, and backed the winner, thanks GV, but based on what I did see I'm going to apologise and say that track was pretty damn good, in fact it might even have been just perfect.

Now stop ringing me you old fookers.

Midget.

Track might have been good on Saturday but food was sh.t, so I heard. I never got to eat any, they ran out of food. Our work were in a marquee by the birdcage (45 people in our group). Those that got to eat said the food was pretty ordinary, and had to queue for around 40 minutes. Same thing happened 2 years ago when we went there. We aint going back for anymore corporate events. And we even sponsored a race 2 years ago and other times.

I am about to send a formal complaint to the racing club.

Correct, the food is a major turn-off at a lot of metropolitan clubs.

After getting a cold cup of tea with one stale tea bag in a paper cup at a metropolitan club I went and bought a couple of cheap thermos flasks and fill one with tea/coffee and the other with home-made soup, coupled with a half dozen homemade scones and a half-dozen slices of fresh baked bread I don't ever need to queue for slip-slop at inflated prices again!

1 hour ago, Midget said:

The heavies from the WRC have been phoning and threatening me with extreme violence ( read slap on hand ) if I don't withdraw the true and accurate comments I made about the dirty old Trentham track.

I saw only one race Saturday, and backed the winner, thanks GV, but based on what I did see I'm going to apologise and say that track was pretty damn good, in fact it might even have been just perfect.

Midget.

Midget, I thank you for the sincere way in which you have publicly apologized for the incorrect aspersions that you had been casting about the Trentham Track and note your comments that "it might even have been perfect" which so many other experts have also said.

As you have been very gracious in apologizing, the ban on you is lifted and I look forward to your return with or without a horse on all or any one of the days of the upcoming Cup Carnival, where those in charge will surely prepare a track as good as the one on Saturday.  

1 hour ago, Hacko said:

Track might have been good on Saturday but food was sh.t, so I heard. I never got to eat any, they ran out of food. Our work were in a marquee by the birdcage (45 people in our group). Those that got to eat said the food was pretty ordinary, and had to queue for around 40 minutes. Same thing happened 2 years ago when we went there. We aint going back for anymore corporate events. And we even sponsored a race 2 years ago and other times.

I am about to send a formal complaint to the racing club.

I heard that from someone who was there to.

2 hours ago, Insider said:

Midget, I thank you for the sincere way in which you have publicly apologized for the incorrect aspersions that you had been casting about the Trentham Track and note your comments that "it might even have been perfect" which so many other experts have also said.

As you have been very gracious in apologizing, the ban on you is lifted and I look forward to your return with or without a horse on all or any one of the days of the upcoming Cup Carnival, where those in charge will surely prepare a track as good as the one on Saturday.  

And they might even prepare decent food.....if you want to turn people off, sponsors included, crap F&B will do it....

2 hours ago, Insider said:

What!!!!!  No life membership???  :lol:

4 hours ago, Midget said:

Midget.

It takes a bigger man to apologise.

5 hours ago, Midget said:

Midget.

Prostrate and face down, I can see why you keep getting ringed by the old fookers.

I had a couple of West Coast Whitebait fritters from a stall out in the forecourt. Beautiful. My friends had them too. Everyone was very complimentary about them  

Incidentally Trentham Gardens no longer do the catering on course as far as I know. They were all let go (lovely words for fired) last year and it's now done by the Awapuni mob. 

The bar staff need some training too. I ordered a bottle of Chardonnay and asked for four glasses and was promptly given four champagne flutes! When I questioned it, she (the server) had no idea what I was talking about!

40 minutes ago, Insider said:

Incidentally Trentham Gardens no longer do the catering on course as far as I know. They were all let go (lovely words for fired) last year and it's now done by the Awapuni mob. 

The bar staff need some training too. I ordered a bottle of Chardonnay and asked for four glasses and was promptly given four champagne flutes! When I questioned it, she (the server) had no idea what I was talking about!

Funny you mention that Insider. I was at a function at the aforementioned tired old Awapuni facility a couple of months ago. When I went to order my second beer (I tipped the first one over the balcony because it tasted like it had been poured for 10 minutes before I collected it from the table at the entrance), the staff person seemed astounded that I requested a fresh glass after she started re-filling the old one, then again, when the fresh glass was pressed hard up against the same tap that she'd just had my used glass in contact with, and I asked her to start over. At least the red wine came in Chardonnay glasses and not Champagne flutes! We didn't stay long and hopefully the national organisation concerned heed the feedback. They obviously didn't the year before.

The only training the bar staff should have is from a rifle trained on them. They should be shot. If they worked for Midget I'm pretty sure they would have been.

34 minutes ago, Insider said:

I had a couple of West Coast Whitebait fritters from a stall out in the forecourt. Beautiful. My friends had them too. Everyone was very complimentary about them  

Cant beat that white gold, and that coast stuff the best, was in short supply down that way i heard.

I love how jockeys lie about the track conditions when interviewed on air. Two instances spring to mind. One at Ellerslie where Leith Innes (when then ARC boss Bruce Castles was his manager) said "the inside's fine" then in the next race proceeded to hook his mount to the extreme outside as soon as they got into the straight.

The other was a meeting I think at Tren-fim where Danielle Johnson was asked how the track was. Her reply: "The track's perfect, and it's only going to improve throughout the day!!!"

5 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Tons of the stuff around man.  Best season in years this year

Not that old chestnut, you must be getting mixed up with the east coast, a friend told me that it was that poor he was taking them home on a string, ate them eyes and all, he reckons the eyes the best part, cause they see you through the week.

5 hours ago, Shad said:

Not that old chestnut, you must be getting mixed up with the east coast, a friend told me that it was that poor he was taking them home on a string, ate them eyes and all, he reckons the eyes the best part, cause they see you through the week.

Well the wholesalers in Haast stopped buying because they they could not handle the volume.

I suspect you might be talking about the Buller - not sure what it was like up there but South Westland had a great season

I am not interested in the East Coast whitebait or anywhere else in the country - like most things of inferior quality to what emanates from the West Coast.

Thats good for the haast, but yeah up round the buller was a shocker apparently, grey not that good either but you will know if thats true, i will move on now, i have totally branched off the beaten track.

As part of an owners group, we  were offered tickets for the "restaurant" very late in the day, in fact it had closed. The owners bar closed very quickly due to a back up of events and only one drink was available, when we arrived, 6 champagne flutes only were on offer! Amazing, considering this club has been around for 100 years and once was the premier of the racing scene and sales..Tragic really..I've been to Trentham races since I was a child and can't believe how it has deteriorated as in appearance and service! However once again,  on the day, Tom Wood was brilliant and I'm sad to hear he's moving offshore, but what else can he do...??? And yes the food truck offerings were a delight. I noted food being transported between marquees uncovered, wonder what the food police would have made of that, even in my day back in the 70's we wouldn't have done that! i was horrified!!

6 hours ago, softlysoftly said:

As part of an owners group, we  were offered tickets for the "restaurant" very late in the day, in fact it had closed. The owners bar closed very quickly due to a back up of events and only one drink was available, when we arrived, 6 champagne flutes only were on offer! Amazing, considering this club has been around for 100 years and once was the premier of the racing scene and sales..Tragic really..I've been to Trentham races since I was a child and can't believe how it has deteriorated as in appearance and service! However once again,  on the day, Tom Wood was brilliant and I'm sad to hear he's moving offshore, but what else can he do...??? And yes the food truck offerings were a delight. I noted food being transported between marquees uncovered, wonder what the food police would have made of that, even in my day back in the 70's we wouldn't have done that! i was horrified!!

Yes the place really has become a bit of a dump. Needs a lot of money spent on it, and they really can't sell off any more bits.

Shall I withdraw my sincere grovelling apology and declare that " I was right all along, it's a mud Hutt shit hole mismanaged by tired old men who're living in the past, with no ideas, no vision, no flair, panache or style, and it's in a terminal state of decline that'll inevitably end in tears ".