RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Gary Sharp

Costing & Price Question

I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on what sort of price to put on a first litter for when selling some of them & also when is the best time to sell them?

Looking at it for when my girl has her first litter.

Also what sort of costs would I be looking at for the pups for the first few months until they are old enough to be sold.

The bitch had to be dna then all the pregnancy costs   and then a possible c cut around 1000. the pups have the general costs of feeding them. then 2lots of injections ranging from 20 to 60 each dog each injection. at 12 wks microchips and earbrands again this can vary upto 58 a dog. then 50 to register a pup to nzgra. then to sell will depend on breeding etc people dont want to spend much either. good luck

Yes its the last thing you want to do and work out the cost of having greyhounds.The first thing i used to inform folks who approached me about getting into the dogs,would be if you think its a money making excerise stop right now if its for a day out and a bit of fun with the chance of covering your cost go for it.

Been breeding the odd litter  because I enjoy greyhounds but the costs increase all the time  not much left out of 10k at 22 months  theres more to greyhound racing than a lot of people realise .If you breed sell early .If I sell any I charge the cost of the stud fee or straw at 8-10 weeks plus % of vet costs .  Be careful if you go ahead there are dreamers out there get the cash up front don't do deals

7 hours ago, lottabull said:

Been breeding the odd litter  because I enjoy greyhounds but the costs increase all the time  not much left out of 10k at 22 months  theres more to greyhound racing than a lot of people realise .If you breed sell early .If I sell any I charge the cost of the stud fee or straw at 8-10 weeks plus % of vet costs .  Be careful if you go ahead there are dreamers out there get the cash up front don't do deals

Yes top true .if you do deals get things in writing as things often go wrong with people better if you can do it all yourselve. trust noone.

I'm not to worried about making a profit from them. If I make $50 profit per pup after costs have been reclaimed then I'm happy with that. I didn't get into the industry to make money as a couple of trainers have told me. I got into it for the love of it & if I made any money from my dogs then it was a bonus I just loved watching them do what they loved doing & as long as they came off the track safe that was all that mattered to me.