RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
kdt

Douglas Whyte ride on Scales of Justice

I'm generally on the 'cheats on seats' side and struggling to recover from a big punt on volkoff 2 races prior to the ride in question BUT......is the 1.50 and .50 on Kawi real on a 31k win pool and wtf was the punter thinking unless the most insane all up of all time was in play?

1 hour ago, 23Tank said:

I'm generally on the 'cheats on seats' side and struggling to recover from a big punt on volkoff 2 races prior to the ride in question BUT......is the 1.50 and .50 on Kawi real on a 31k win pool and wtf was the punter thinking unless the most insane all up of all time was in play?

TAB had yet another technical issue tonight. This one to do with commingling, what you're seeing is just the NZ un-commingled money in all pools. Aussie money would have balanced it out to about $5. Note the winner paid something like $38 on the tote here & just $11 fixed due to all the NZ tote cash being on Kawi.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/superracing/kingston-town-classic-2016-weirys-5000-shout-as-his-star-shines-ever-so-brightly-in-west/news-story/66c8042b16bffbf776dc50775ad67d68

The win was also tinged with controversy as stewards charged Hong Kong-based jockey Douglas Whyte with not riding Scales Of Justice out to the line.

Whyte pleaded not guilty, telling stewards he had resorted to hands and heels instead of the whip in a bid to coax home a horse he felt was tiring.

Smith, however, said he was happy with the ride and that his Railway Stakes winner was beaten at that stage.

“It wouldn’t have mattered if he hit it two or three times,” Smith told the stewards by phone. Chief steward Brad Lewis adjourned the inquiry as he wanted Smith and owner Chris Wells to view the Hawk-Eye ­vision of the last 20m.

I thought Kawi had every possible, seemed to be close enough on the corner but never really let down. He seems to settle pretty well for Walker.

He did cover a bit of extra ground from the 600 to the turn but had a pretty soft run in transit i thought, but he would have almost covered expenses on the trip with his placings.

1 hour ago, scooby3051 said:

I thought Kawi had every possible, seemed to be close enough on the corner but never really let down. He seems to settle pretty well for Walker.

He did cover a bit of extra ground from the 600 to the turn but had a pretty soft run in transit i thought, but he would have almost covered expenses on the trip with his placings.

Have to agree, he certainly had every show.Good run all the same.

An OK run but just not at the level of the others - too many issues - suited Walker and settled well  - a click below the others and they ain't top drawer animals - if he is our best then we have big problems

Kawi is probably a fair measure of NZ racing.

Hopelessly hyped by the inept media, blown out of all proportion by the lobotomised loonies on Trackside, and really just a pretty good horse, with numerous personal behavioral issues, running around winning the second tier races in his home country but proving to be found wanting on the big stage.

Mind you the way NZ racing is being insidiously destroyed we might look back at the Kawis and Xtravacan'ts in the future and reflect on these as the "good old days".

How about that Captain Cook result, Aide Memoire !! The winner of only one open handicap and that was on a heavy 11 running a mile in 1.48, then she wins the Captain Cook, beating Authentic Paddy, no disrespect to him though, he's a great old horse, but God help NZ racing when that's all we've got.

11 minutes ago, Midget said:

Kawi is probably a fair measure of NZ racing.

Hopelessly hyped by the inept media, blown out of all proportion by the lobotomised loonies on Trackside, and really just a pretty good horse, with numerous personal behavioral issues, running around winning the second tier races in his home country but proving to be found wanting on the big stage.

Mind you the way NZ racing is being insidiously destroyed we might look back at the Kawis and Xtravacan'ts in the future and reflect on these as the "good old days".

How about that Captain Cook result, Aide Memoire !! The winner of only one open handicap and that was on a heavy 11 running a mile in 1.48, then she wins the Captain Cook, beating Authentic Paddy, no disrespect to him though, he's a great old horse, but God help NZ racing when that's all we've got.

I don't really think Kawi is over-hyped. He probably is the best we have actually racing here, it just shows how poor the horses have been that he had beaten over here. I gave him no chance last night based on his battling lead-up runs so couldn't believe how short he was on the tote.

It does show the owners have been right in largely choosing to stay here and pick up the easy money. Even when they picked what looked like a weaker Aussie option it still turned out pretty tough.

11 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

And once again Midget, which of the horses entered in the Captain Cook yesterday would have had to win to make you think it was a worthy group one?

They're all good honest horses, some of them I love, e.g. Authentic Paddy because he's so versatile, tough and genuine.

My point was that the winner is not perhaps a genuine G1 horse using international measuring criteria, and whilst she's effective on all going she's arguably more of a wet tracker.

I just can't see any horse in that Captain Cook field being good enough for Australia, except maybe Queensland in the winter. JMO.

She got the best economical run in the race and that's what won it for her. Up front bias yesterday, can't remember anything coming from well back to win.....Seraphim probably the best of them in placings.

Talking about Ascot, you would have to be filthy if you picked the Quaddie there. 

The four winners paid $23, $41, $38 and $8........and it paid just $17,532.

1 hour ago, Leggy said:

Isn't the minimum for a GI 110 Ted based on the average best seasonal rating of the first 4 finishers?

Trump stated " Based on yesterday's Captain Cook Stakes, it has to surely suffer a downgrade"

I said with half the field over 100 it won't.

We will see in the future who will be right. 

12 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

You stated " Based on yesterday's Captain Cook Stakes, it has to surely suffer a downgrade"

I said with half the field over 100 it won't.

We will see in the future who will be right. 

First of all Ted I did not state that, Trump did.

3 hours ago, Trump said:

Based on yesterday's Captain Cook Stakes, it has to surely suffer a downgrade. It's not a G1 race. No way.

You then misleadingly said :

2 hours ago, rdytdy said:

You had half the field with a rating of over 100 so hardly likely to suffer a downgrade.  

The requirement to avoid a warning for a Group I is that the average best seasonal rating for the first 4 is 110+. The best seasonal rating of the first 4 to date is 104. So, unless and until one or more of those first 4 achieves higher ratings than 110 during the season, the race is headed for a warning. Based on the current best seasonal ratings, it does not meet the standard for a G2 of an average of 107. On the current best ratings it meets the standard for a G3, which suggests Trump is correct as things stand.

I hope Insider and the WRC are saying their prayers.

13 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

Ascot is a short straight and with a tight turn in. He got left behind as have many good horses in the past when the 2 in front straightened up on the better going.  The winterbottom was run at 6m, the week prior, maybe he landed in ground not as suitable from the 500m on?

Common sense suggests Scales of Justice was going to get rolled regardless what Whyte did but you just never know as it was a bob of the head go. Gotta feel for Paul Harvey, will be pissed about his suspension leading in. SoJ was a given for him over the carnival.