RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cornelius

Dont worry NZ racing is in good hands - NZRB AGM

Guest 2Admin2

Well when you have NZ Bloodstock making press releases that the Ready to Run sale broke all records then things must be rosy.

They forgot to mention the 200 horses that went home without being sold nor the dubious inflated prices for some horses nor the part of the market that did sell which didn't make a profit.

Maybe even the big boy philistines are starting to hurt.

Same old crap, just a different year.

They talk about increasing the punter base and not losing punters to offshore.

Firstly they do nothing to attract the new punter, in fact they are constantly losing the existing punters!

They remove telephone punting that suits the older ones.

They restrict turnover by restricting punters like myself down to a maximum net collect of $1000, so I don't bother having a go very often now and I am not the only one who is giving it away that I know.

They talk about automatic Fixed Odds Betting, well with their  already unrealistically priced markets I hardly think this is going to attract or retain punters.

Supposedly the TAB loses money on domestic racing in NZ and that it is sports betting that is what has grown and that the TAB love.

This being the case I don't really beleive that the executive really give a toss about the domestic racing side of things as long as they are making a profit for the TAB and that they are getting paid a huge salary!

From memory they said "1.5% of our punters are doing 55% of our turnover"

I really hope the international betting agencies who're offering better service come for that 1.5% and entice them away because until we collapse completely we won't get rid of this mob, or the flawed model they're using to run this shambles.

Extraordinary as this may sound, I'm told that the two architects of our current malaise are claiming that "we saved NZ racing, without us it would be finished" !!! Thank fook they didn't set out to ruin the game.

This post below is on behalf of Tommy Heptinstall a fanatic racing guru who is not happy with N.Z. Racing

Owner of Tavistock when racing  bred and sold Werther etc 

Subject: Please Resign  Mr Purcell Glenda Hughes and John Allen

Dear Mr Purcell I've addressed this email to you but I want John Allen and Glenda Hughes to understand this applies to you all collectively

I just want to register my sadness about an industry in total chaos. Today's cancellation of the Wanganui meeting following on from the debacle of the TeRapa cancellation last Sunday two meetings I had horses down to run at being another nail in the coffin of a once fantastic industry . The reason for my email is myself and 1000s of others Are totally frustrated by everything that is happening to a once thriving and fantastic industry.  The organisation has ended up in the hands of yourself, John Allen and Glenda Hughes. Three  people total out of your collective depth You as its chief executive officer, and unfortunately the only email I could find are the  recipient of my total frustration. I've addressed it to you but it applies to you all. You are all totally out of your depth.   While not totally your fault, you are its leader and as its leader, you must take full responsibility for  its problems, and there are many.  You were put in charge of something you had absolutely no idea how to fix and drive forward, and by God it needed help and innovation.  With the change in wagering being one example of these many issues that needing expertise . I myself don't understand it either but I'm not CEO of a racing and wagering organisation.  This appears to be something you have absolutely no understanding of either and it has just got worst under your stewardship.  Please admit what I am saying is true and do not continue to promote spin which is an insult to people's intelligence everybody knows it is exactly that SPIN . [ It isn't what you say that people remember it's what you do. ]It appears to me, and many others, that you appear to have no answers or a clue what to do . You are not a leader, very few people are, so please do the only honourable thing great people do and please  resign forthwith.  Give someone else a chance before its to late.  If you do the same thing today that you did yesterday tomorrow will be the same result.  Please tell me this saying  resonates with you, as it should.  It may be to late but for all the good people that are dying financially under your stewardship it may just give them a small chance of survival . If you disagree with what  I'm saying, and based on your responses so far to critics, I'm sure you will.  I'm more than happy for you to call me in response to my email or if you wanted to discuss it why don't we speak live on Des Coppins Sunday radio talk back show? My mobile number is +61416236549. Please don't think this is personal as I said I feel sorry for the position your'e in.  It must be a terrible dilemma having no answers to a myriad of problems
After watching the AGM on line this morning I'm more convinced than ever that my earlier email is profound, we're in the hands of people who basically stood in a circle and patted each other on the back and told each other how great they are. It was a complete farce started by the introduction of the minister, by a person who  doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged,
by using his name telling us how wonderful our minister has been that certainly set the tone . Remember this,when the titanic was sinking the band was still playing up on deck, and this AGM had everything but the band . Mr Allen's enthusiasm and waving your arms around and looking excited will only con people for so long as people quickly see through people of no substance [[if the cap fits where it ]]
Glenda we know you where in the police force you must have told us 5 times and why we were supposed to be impressed by this I don't know. 

Again apologies for the grammar but the message is clear hopefully.  They don't have any idea of the predicament racing is in under their stewardship.

Tommy Heptinstall

I suspect Tommy is one of many feeling this way, and it's great that he's decided to articulate himself in this manner and that it's been made public.

I hope those who can make a difference see this as a harbinger and act now to initiate change before it's too late.

Agree with Tommy's sentiments but a shame Rumpole didn't sort out that letter first.

If you want to be taken seriously, present an argument correctly. Blame Mana College eh Tom.....;)

And before anyone starts, I know Tommy, and how passionate he is about the Industry.

People like that we cannot afford to lose.

I started reading it and was going to say if only he had fixed up his grammar and broken it down into paragraphs, but in actual fact it is very clear and precise and gets his message across perfectly. The people he refers to are totally out of their depth and are getting away with murder. When the industry has been destroyed they will just head off and take on something else without a care in the world I suspect. I cannot think of any other industry where such inept leadership gets away with so much without any public backlash. I guess it just shows the public and many industry participants aren't all that interested anymore.

1 hour ago, rumpole said:

This post below is on behalf of Tommy Heptinstall a fanatic racing guru who is not happy with N.Z. Racing

Dear Mr Purcell I've addressed this email to you but I want John Allen and Glenda Hughes to understand this applies to you all collectively

I just want to register my sadness about an industry in total chaos. Today's cancellation of the Wanganui meeting following on from the debacle of the TeRapa cancellation last Sunday two meetings I had horses down to run at being another nail in the coffin of a once fantastic industry . The reason for my email is myself and 1000s of others Are totally frustrated by everything that is happening to a once thriving and fantastic industry.  The organisation has ended up in the hands of yourself, John Allen and Glenda Hughes. Three  people total out of your collective depth You as its chief executive officer, and unfortunately the only email I could find are the  recipient of my total frustration. I've addressed it to you but it applies to you all. You are all totally out of your depth.   While not totally your fault, you are its leader and as its leader, you must take full responsibility for  its problems, and there are many.  You were put in charge of something you had absolutely no idea how to fix and drive forward, and by God it needed help and innovation.  With the change in wagering being one example of these many issues that needing expertise . I myself don't understand it either but I'm not CEO of a racing and wagering organisation.  This appears to be something you have absolutely no understanding of either and it has just got worst under your stewardship.  Please admit what I am saying is true and do not continue to promote spin which is an insult to people's intelligence everybody knows it is exactly that SPIN . [ It isn't what you say that people remember it's what you do. ]It appears to me, and many others, that you appear to have no answers or a clue what to do . You are not a leader, very few people are, so please do the only honourable thing great people do and please  resign forthwith.  Give someone else a chance before its to late.  If you do the same thing today that you did yesterday tomorrow will be the same result.  Please tell me this saying  resonates with you, as it should.  It may be to late but for all the good people that are dying financially under your stewardship it may just give them a small chance of survival . If you disagree with what  I'm saying, and based on your responses so far to critics, I'm sure you will.  I'm more than happy for you to call me in response to my email or if you wanted to discuss it why don't we speak live on Des Coppins Sunday radio talk back show? My mobile number is +61416236549. Please don't think this is personal as I said I feel sorry for the position your'e in.  It must be a terrible dilemma having no answers to a myriad of problems
After watching the AGM on line this morning I'm more convinced than ever that my earlier email is profound, we're in the hands of people who basically stood in a circle and patted each other on the back and told each other how great they are. It was a complete farce started by the introduction of the minister, by a person who  doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged,
by using his name telling us how wonderful our minister has been that certainly set the tone . Remember this,when the titanic was sinking the band was still playing up on deck, and this AGM had everything but the band . Mr Allen's enthusiasm and waving your arms around and looking excited will only con people for so long as people quickly see through people of no substance [[if the cap fits where it ]]
Glenda we know you where in the police force you must have told us 5 times and why we were supposed to be impressed by this I don't know. 

Again apologies for the grammar but the message is clear hopefully.  They don't have any idea of the predicament racing is in under their stewardship.

Tommy Heptinstall

Tommy and I went to Mana College together, we are together again with Tommy's valiant request as stated above and just to add, when I returned to NZ after 43 years in OZ we had one and a half mil to invest in this industry, we have/had another 10 million dollars to invest via our business partners in Latin America and South Africa. Our investment is tangible, our business partners went cold turkey after the failed business/strategic plan put into the public arena via the CEO of NZTR back in 2011/12. If I didn't have our core business to fall back on we would be another statistic......our business partners are angry as we are, but they have gone elsewhere to look for opportunities, we [my family] and now going one out so to speak.....until there is a massive change at the top........Tommy and I may well be long gone though, it's the rest of you poor bastards I feel for, and that comes from the heart.

1 hour ago, rumpole said:

Tommy Heptinstall

I totally agree with this epistle from Tommy.

I have raced,bred attempted to train and rode for 40 plus years and I made a decision no more until we have some degree of leadership,which is clear we have not had for sometime.

The wastage of trips to France,Mongolian and any of the other countries he has toured and it is not only him but the entourage he takes with him at our Industry's expense for NO GAIN.

When Purcell and Godber decided that the charges against me were to proceed,I was totally surprised.The reason being was that we had had 4 telephone conference's with all parties and they were clearly told that there no charges to answer,but these 2 wisemen insisted they proceed.

My legal bill to defend this frivolous charge was around 20k of which 12k was awarded to us,this is the biggest payout for costs that I am aware of and it should have got to that stage and wouldn't have,if we had competent leadership,but EGO'S got in the way.Would they be brave enough enough to disclose the figure for their legal team?I will say no but have a guess and say 50k.In my view these 2 should be made to pay out of there own pocket,but there is as much chance of that is me growing to 6ft tall within the next year.The other point that disappointed me was after all parties agreeing to the hearing date some weeks prior,the Head Steward at the time had forgotten his brothers birthday and would not be attending,but the RIU forgot to pass this imformation on to the JCA who were clearly horrfied by this incompentence shown by the RIU.

The glaring aspect of this, was how incompetent Purcell came across,in fact 27 pages of evidence was thrown out as irrelevant.I clearly remember thinking to myself at the time,if this person is the CEO of NZ Racing we are in serious trouble.

It not only Purcell that i have no faith in,Campbell Moncur is another in my opinion who is out of his depth.

As an aside,a question to the Racing Board' HOW MUCH OF INDUSTRY FUNDING HAS BEEN PAID OUT TO PAST EMPLOYEE'S?eg  Bayliss,Walding etc,this information should be made public,but I am sure it will be hidden in the accounts somewhere,but if the figures i have been quoted are correct,then in my view the complete Board should be sacked forthwith.

54 minutes ago, Trump said:

I keep saying it. "Blame the Grinder - not the Monkey". The fact that the CEO of NZTR is "still" employed, is at the discretion of the Board. They must therefore believe he is doing a great job! So who's to blame? 

Maybe the outfit that appoint the Board and monitor its performance?

I'm surprised there aren't more people doing what I am. After 40 years of racing horses in New Zealand I'm getting out as like everyone else on here, I have no faith in the Minister or the Board to do anything about the obvious mess we are in. So from now on my horses are going to Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young in Melbourne. I've just retired one racehorse which leaves me with two more in NZ and that's it. I don't like to do this to my NZ Trainer but they fully support my decision and understand.

I'll still keep my band of 5 broodmares here in NZ as I believe we have the best conditions in the Southern Hemisphere to breed top horses. I'm even buying into a stallion here so I still have faith in the breeding industry, so long as we can keep producing top horses in Australia.

Melbourne is only 3 hours away and with retirement looming, my wife and I will have an even better reason to visit that wonderful city.

Tell me why I'm making the wrong decision here - I can't think of any negatives except that I'm turning my back on a New Zealand industry which I love but is being destroyed by incompetency. At least I'm still supporting New Zealand Trainers in Melbourne.

1 hour ago, morayfm said:

I'm surprised there aren't more people doing what I am. After 40 years of racing horses in New Zealand I'm getting out as like everyone else on here, I have no faith in the Minister or the Board to do anything about the obvious mess we are in. So from now on my horses are going to Trent Busuttin & Natalie Young in Melbourne. I've just retired one racehorse which leaves me with two more in NZ and that's it. I don't like to do this to my NZ Trainer but they fully support my decision and understand.

I'll still keep my band of 5 broodmares here in NZ as I believe we have the best conditions in the Southern Hemisphere to breed top horses. I'm even buying into a stallion here so I still have faith in the breeding industry, so long as we can keep producing top horses in Australia.

Melbourne is only 3 hours away and with retirement looming, my wife and I will have an even better reason to visit that wonderful city.

Tell me why I'm making the wrong decision here - I can't think of any negatives except that I'm turning my back on a New Zealand industry which I love but is being destroyed by incompetency. At least I'm still supporting New Zealand Trainers in Melbourne.

Of course you are making the correct decision morayfm, Melbourne is a great place to race a horse. Also cheaper and quicker to get to than flying from the top to the bottom of NZ. You can also race a horse with modest ability at a country midweek meeting at places like Moe, Sale,  Benalla etc, for the equivalent of our Saturday stakes. And a good horse is always racing in the city for roughly 80k minimum. Why wouldn't you? I think you are also correct about our conditions for breeding, especially if we go back to our knitting and breed good staying types. The fields for staying races in Victoria are not good quality and should be a good target for NZ bred horses with stamina.

Purcell can only play the cards he is dealt. He has no responsibility on the core structure. Those that can change the structure are mute when it comes to ideas. Doesn't need Einstein to figure things aren't good.

When it comes to suggesting a change amazing how silent the complainers are. A typical structural change would be move the head offices to Ellerslie racecourse which would infuse new personal, ideas and thinking. As usual I am sure the typical response from complainers is "Durrr...."

Guest 2Admin2
7 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

Purcell can only play the cards he is dealt. He has no responsibility on the core structure. Those that can change the structure are mute when it comes to ideas. Doesn't need Einstein to figure things aren't good.

When it comes to suggesting a change amazing how silent the complainers are. A typical structural change would be move the head offices to Ellerslie racecourse which would infuse new personal, ideas and thinking. As usual I am sure the typical response from complainers is "Durrr...."

Dunk sometimes I get confused whether or not you are part of the establishment or a sycophant.  Without exception the "complainers" on this site have put forward well thought proposals.  Indeed I have seen many present those proposals in writing and or at industry forums.

We are not talking QR codes on newspapers either.

So I suggest rather than potentially being a wolf pack of one you support the "complainers" as you'll find they have or have had real skin in the game.

6 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

Dunk sometimes I get confused whether or not you are part of the establishment or a sycophant.  Without exception the "complainers" on this site have put forward well thought proposals.  Indeed I have seen many present those proposals in writing and or at industry forums.

We are not talking QR codes on newspapers either.

So I suggest rather than potentially being a wolf pack of one you support the "complainers" as you'll find they have or have had real skin in the game.

So give me just one example and not that stakes should be raised or this person or that person should resign. I doubt there is any so resorting to personal attacks becomes the only option.

Guest 2Admin2
13 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

So give me just one example and not that stakes should be raised or this person or that person should resign. I doubt there is any so resorting to personal attacks becomes the only option.

For one have you followed the debate on handicapping?  

Or the discussions on wagering?

Or the discussions on track care and maintenance?

Or the discussions on race scheduling?

Your QR codes will change diddly.

22 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

It now looks like SD is as far out of his depth and bereft of any research or homework as the rest of them.

35 minutes ago, 2Admin2 said:

None of those points whilst important and relevant will grow revenue or else significantly reduce costs.

Piling investment into growing TAB turnover will only push it up marginally. The untouched area is at the club level. That means organising clubs into getting more oncourse which will lead to more sponsorship. Treating racing as a medium for promoting products services exports and tourism. The average person is never at ease promoting gambling but  is promoting business,commerce or tourism.

And admin whats your beef about QR codes I mentioned moving head offices to Ellerslie.