RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
billy connolly

Vale Bill Skelton MBE

Sad to hear. Bill was always chipper, a lovely bloke with a lively wit and rode a number of winners for my late father.

His book "The Bill Skelton Story" by Tony Hilton was launched at the Levin meeting 40 years ago 17/11/1976. How do I know? I was going up there for the launch but didn't make it as my eldest was born that morning.

Sincere condolences to Nella and to all the family

R.I.P. Bill

You will always be remembered.  

1 hour ago, Winner69 said:

Bill was my racing hero from an early age.

will never forget the day that he won the Wellington Oaks on Mayo Gold and the buzz that went through the Trentham crowd

RIP Bill (WD) .....and thanks for the memories.

Great performance by Mayo Gold that day Winner69. She got well back and with a slipped saddle stormed home to get up and beat Shantung and Frivole. That was her third run at the meeting also having won on the first two days with brother Bob on her for those wins.

Bill had at least one win in virtually every major race at Trentham, the exceptions being the NZ St Leger Stakes and the Wellington Guineas.  

Bustling Bill  everybody loved him particularly the punters. No1 peoples jockey  of all time.

Lets hope NZTR put up some Peter Kelly commentaries on their website.

Overheard a conversation with an owner trainer trying to get him to ride a hot favourite. After listening intently Bill said "well if the kid did everything right last time and knows the horse you are better sticking with him".

Outstanding Jockey

The likes we will not see again. The champ trainers that have gone would tell you what he could do to educate a youngster. Syd Brown, Eric Ropiha etc would put Bill on a young horse and it would gain from the experience. I have very fond memories of horses that Bill taught to race, none more than a horse called Crown Law, a Group One horse who beat Baguette and Gunsynd at his first Australian start.Bustling Bill taught him to race.........

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 1:39 PM, slam dunk said:

Lets hope NZTR put up some Peter Kelly commentaries on their website.

His wife has commentaries and videos of his best wins. The Peter Kelly calls were special as was Daryl's Joy's VRC Derby victory called by Bill Collins.

Readers may be interested to know that the brothers Skelton dead heated for first in a race at Riccarton one day, Bob on Russley and Bill aboard Writer and I'm pretty sure Bill rode the card one day at a South Island track.

Great days.