RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Thomas Wood gone

My usual impeccable sources tell me he's gone as of Christmas to Singapore, signed a lucrative three year deal there.

Sadly yet another very fortunate, highly skilled and talented young man jumping off this rapidly sinking ship.

When will we ever learn.......

10 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Great for Tom's blossoming career. Good luck to Jason Teaz who will take over his role in the C.D.

Yes congrats well deserved!

I don't think theres been any announcement yet Gub on who the replacement is...so you might be a little off the mark I feel.

23 minutes ago, MrBigStuff said:

Yes congrats well deserved!

I don't think theres been any announcement yet Gub on who the replacement is...so you might be a little off the mark I feel.

Pretty obvious  would have thought.  Teaz clearly spends most of his time in Cambridge (or wherever his wife lives).  Why would you fly him up and down to Dunedin when he can take over the CD with Matt Cross to Otago?

Mind you it is NZRB and the TAB so we might get Dave MacDonald reassigned to the CD , George to Canterbury, Cross to Auckland all flying about the place at industry expense.

Logic never comes into it with those guys  

Well done Tom Wood anyway - a very pleasant and capable young bloke who was treated pretty average in this country(and on this forum at times as well)

He'll love it in Singapore. Great place, clean as, great racing and excellent expat community. Rangi's no fool - that's why he's been there for yonks! Mick Dittman lives there for 6months in the year - he loves the place. Good luck to young Tom, a proud moment for his Family and friends. You going to follow him Chris???:)

Thanks Trump, kind words. Very proud of Tom, as his mother Colleen is to, and he has worked hard to get where he is, like most people in NZ Racing.

He has had his critics, and he has coped well with all of this, especially the anonymous ones who feel they know more about the caper than he does.

He is only going to get better as time goes on, and I know that he leaves these shores on good terms with his former employer.

There are plenty of people to thank, and I would like to single out Reon Murtha, who took a personal interest in Tom a few years ago, and has had quite a hand in Tom's career up to this stage.

Edited by Chris Wood

A very confident and professional young man who has been throughly unmoving even though he lives 5km from Trentham, (he never complained but has voted with his feet, the best way to make a point ) we still fly down a commentator and his entourage from the Waikato  at great expense to call races Tom was more than capable of calling.

Unbelievable but heh there's a lot in our industry that's like that.

Good on ya Tom your a star

Congratulations Tom, a great overseas opportunity.

Commentating is an international vocation as evidenced by others such as George Simon who also spent time commentating in Singapore, Bruce Sherwin (Macau) and Mark McNamara came here from Australia.

If I recall correctly the job also entails birdcage presentation etc as they use two commentators on a race day/night and they swap roles during the programme. This will ensure Tom learns new skills as well as he hones his commentating skills even further.

All the best Tom.   

Good to to see Tom get a proper chance, he deserves it as I always said it was a joke the way he was treated in the CD, getting pushed aside when the big days come around, so good on him for looking elsewhere, and I for one hope he kicks a massive goal up there. Cheers.

21 hours ago, chelseacol said:

Well done to Tom and hope he goes well up there. I agree Tom wasn't as well looked after as he deserved.

Great to hear from Chris that the great Reon Murtha had a role

And a decent push initiated  by an Ex Pat trainer up that way helped the cause as well.