RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Breeder

Ready to Run sale

Did anyone go the RTR sale? I would be interested in how people see the progress of this sale. Looking from the outside it seems we are a little further ahead, compared to Australian sales.

I did read a comment from the American guy who has set up an Aussie branch of Spendthrift saying he thought Australia was about 20 years behind the USA with this sort of sale so there was plenty of room to improve and grow. I'm not sure what the US do to make them so far ahead.

alot of sad people after this sale,heaps of passings and the chat was that with so many pin hookers getting their fingers burnt this years yearling sales might not be to good with the pin hookers not able to buy until they manage to ditch the many passed in rtr,s. It will be interesting to see how things go in the next couple of months.

I see NZB is coming to the rescue in a small way by offering incentives to sell in their Gavel House on line auction specificially for the passed in lots..

I think you have to take a closer look at the numbers and results.

In 2015 there were 397 in the catalogue.

This year 2016 the catalogue had 550. That is a huge increase in numbers.

Some on type were just average.

Another factor was stallions who have had their chance and have been either average or failed. They performed very badly.

12 hours ago, Nasrullah said:

I think you have to take a closer look at the numbers and results.

In 2015 there were 397 in the catalogue.

This year 2016 the catalogue had 550. That is a huge increase in numbers.

Some on type were just average.

Another factor was stallions who have had their chance and have been either average or failed. They performed very badly.

It is a huge increase in numbers, but the numbers of unsold horses went from 143 last year to 258 this year, ie 115 more horses taken home. Another figure not provided by NZB - I wonder why!?

The figures were part of the reason I raised the topic. The Aussie sales didn't seem to do any better. Is it a sign of bit of a down turn overall coming in ? ( this years yearling sales could be interesting and I don't mean to sound pessimistic). Or is it simply the vendors have unrealistic expectations ?

I would have thought the RTR market must relate to the market of horses selling after winning or running well in trials. That is, a buyer can wait that little bit longer to see a horse run properly against others and reduce the purchase risk a bit more. Obviously the very top lots in the RTR sale would be exceptions to this but the average ones wouldn't be.

breeder:  I dont think the majority of the vendors where being unrealistic in their expectations the costs of simply getting the horse to the sales is huge an average would be around $11,000 and then add  the cost of breeding/buying the horse in the first place and then you are getting some quite frankly insulting offers for them for example $5000. for a horse that has just cost in the vicinity of $25.000 . Most of the rtrs i saw looked a picture and a credit to the vendors, and i would say the most ran up in very credible times.

I think its a sign of the times that racing is pretty much stuffed, and the studs need to start looking at their fee structures if they want to attract some of the smaller breeders back.

On 11/19/2016 at 0:26 PM, inside edge said:

alot of sad people after this sale,heaps of passings and the chat was that with so many pin hookers getting their fingers burnt this years yearling sales might not be to good with the pin hookers not able to buy until they manage to ditch the many passed in rtr,s. It will be interesting to see how things go in the next couple of months.

I see NZB is coming to the rescue in a small way by offering incentives to sell in their Gavel House on line auction specificially for the passed in lots..

Absolutely true. It was a disaster for most. Don't believe the NZB bullshit. I was there and saw the pain.

Supply V's Demand

Racetrack performance results will stay intact in the future, selling agents need to accept quality not quantity.

Same purchase money can only circulate among the same category of sale on an Australasian basis.

Too many horses in the sale, a casualty or two no doubt in the vendors area, with no local market ask GH for a solution. She can lift a weight and maybe run PR well, but not a business. 

Time to get some vision in the industry, presently it has none.

Was lucky enough to be in South Africa during the Cape Ready to Run sales. Lovely types, well grown and they bring realistic money. Unlike the NZB RTR where majority of sold horses go offshore, in South Africa most are sold to local buyers. Vendors place realistic reserves and subsequently the pass in rate is low. However now the door is open for South Africa to ship horses to the US, I'm sure things will ramp up.  

Prizemoney is on par with NZ racing but costs are much lower.  Sheik Hamdan and Sheik Khalifa but have substantial investments in South Africa and many Trainers make their way to the Inglis Melbourne Sale to purchase yearling. The best horse in the last decade was the Australian bred mare  Igugu (by Galileo), purchased from Melbourne sale for $A55K.

South Africa also has 2 races in the internationally recognised top 100 Group Ones. NZ doesn't have one.

Perhaps there are some lessons we could learn from South African racing?  Obviously their racing administration is a few notches above ours? 

Everything in South Africa is cheaper.  Wages, of course, are much lower than NZ/OZ and this is reflected in costs across the board. They do have an abundance of labour and trainers can afford to ensure all horses in their care are exceptionally well cared for.  Average costs are around $A1000 per month.

But owners are treated with respect as Owning a racehorse is not one of life's compulsory exercises!  The hospitality is fantastic and the industry spends a lot of money promoting racing through mainstream media. 

Now export to the US has been sanctioned, it won't take long before the Americans cotton on.  South Africa does send horses to Singapore as there are several expats training there. 

In some ways it shows, that whilst some NZ people are benefitting greatly from the HKG & China market, it is putting unrealistic prices on NZ bred horses, leaving the domestic market struggling to compete. In turn this is depleting our domestic racing fields leaving punters with too few options and therefore downgrading TAB profits and of course, our Studbook.  As I have said for 10 years, the gravy train to Asia will come back to bite us....