RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

James McDonald

A classic case of "too much money too soon" resulting in wanting to"operate around the fringes" to get a buzz. Mind you, there is always low-life skulking around (especially in Oz) just waiting to take advantage of a young person's naivety. Have to ask though--where was his management? I did say in an earlier posting that James was getting a bit ahead of himself with all his show-boating but did not expect him to be so gullible in the betting arena. An expensive lesson but hopefully he will be contrite, do his time and be back better than ever.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Crikey.  Over here on Sky they are saying he will head back to NZ.  They also said they'd appeal as it "seems harsh"

It is a ridiculous penalty when you compare it to what Damian Oliver got. Surely he must appeal the severity.

18 months could well spell the finish due to weight problems.  

1 hour ago, chevy86 said:

A classic case of "too much money too soon" resulting in wanting to"operate around the fringes" to get a buzz. Mind you, there is always low-life skulking around (especially in Oz) just waiting to take advantage of a young person's naivety. Have to ask though--where was his management? I did say in an earlier posting that James was getting a bit ahead of himself with all his show-boating but did not expect him to be so gullible in the betting arena. An expensive lesson but hopefully he will be contrite, do his time and be back better than ever.

He wont get back in that camp Chevy, they don't like Scandal in the Gulf, it get's buried, so maybe Te Akau will have a new No 1 in 18 months......?

5 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

It is a ridiculous penalty when you compare it to what Damian Oliver got. Surely he must appeal the severity.

They re-worked the penalties AFTER the Oliver case Ted --instituted a MINIMUM of 2 years so he has really got a discount on the new basis, which were well publicised for all jockeys to be aware of.

6 minutes ago, rdytdy said:

I agree, and pardon my ignorance in asking this, but is it a case of different jurisdictions? NSW v VIC so they could say it's not relevant what penalties Racing Victoria impose. I agree, I don't know how this can be as bad as what Oliver did.

Well, I must say, he was just starting to get that slightly smug Michael Walker type attitude after seeming like such a clean cut NZ lad. He is obviously a natural talent, but it must be so hard to remain grounded when you become such a big thing. Certainly nothing I have managed to experience. Shows how importasnt good management is when a young chap starts to make a big name for himself.

52 minutes ago, puha said:

How did he cheat? He bet on his own mount that won. 

He broke the rules... they were clearly spelled out...he admitted he broke them...he has admitted to doing it... now he is facing the consequences... lets just all hope he can return after this a really world class jockey.

8 hours ago, rdytdy said:

No, I think he's got off lightly since he ignored the stewards warnings, there's a mysterious disappearance of data from his phone and the fact that the Oliver comparison is irrelevant under the new rules as the stewards pointed out.

Mr Stirling submitted that Stewards should be guided by the precedent penalties of Oliver, Shinn and Robl. In this respect, the view of the Stewards is that these offences were all committed prior to the introduction of AR83(d) and, more particular AR196(5), the introduction of mandatory penalties when a line in the sand was drawn by the administrators. As such, those precedents are of little assistance given the mandatory minimum penalty regime.

It's hard to see given the lenience already extended what argument he would have on appeal.

9 hours ago, mckenzie said:

There is nothing here to suggest that. The Stewards have said it is a one time offence.

The interactions with Gardiner are because of trials and the multiple races Astern was racing in that Gardiner placed bets on.

Seems out of all proportion to me, a penalty of that magnitude for a reward so trivial.

I've yet to hear a decent reason why jockeys can't bet on their own rides anyway, and then declare the bet to the general public.

J Mac is a great example of the species, but he's only human, and he doesn't deserve all this finger pointing or tall poppy rubbish.

As for this new rule post the Ollie offense.....big deal.....the world is chokka full of stupid rules and laws, just because they exist it doesn't make them fair, right, or reasonable.

Sounds like this bloke Gardiner was intimidating MacDonald, and wouldn't leave him alone even when told to. A short spell on the sidelines wouldn't change alot in that regard, whereas an extended break would probably see Gardiner focus elsewhere, and then the young bloke can start afresh.

17 minutes ago, Midget said:

Seems out of all proportion to me, a penalty of that magnitude for a reward so trivial.

I've yet to hear a decent reason why jockeys can't bet on their own rides anyway, and then declare the bet to the general public.

J Mac is a great example of the species, but he's only human, and he doesn't deserve all this finger pointing or tall poppy rubbish.

As for this new rule post the Ollie offense.....big deal.....the world is chokka full of stupid rules and laws, just because they exist it doesn't make them fair, right, or reasonable.

Exactly, there is no way the punishment fits the crime (if it could be indeed called a crime). 

18 months. His last three years earnings have averaged $1.5 million pa. Therefore it is costing him income of around $2.25 million and loss of retainer with Godolphin.   

8 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

He broke the rules... they were clearly spelled out...he admitted he broke them...he has admitted to doing it... now he is facing the consequences... lets just all hope he can return after this a really world class jockey.

Broke the rules yes but  for me cheating is affecting the outcome of the race unfairly which he did not. D.Walker cheated .

So, these rules were brought in to protect the integrity of the game and give the punter confidence. Jockey A puts a decent bet on his mount and it wins, he gets rubbed out for 18 months. Trainer B who has the hot favourite in a race puts a big bet on a different horse, trained by someone else and that's perfectly legal. So much for the rules huh.

There are different rules in different jurisdictions aren't there?

For example Chris Munce was granted a licence in Australia when he had been outed for years in Hong Kong.

James hasn't broken any rule by our standard, so get him back here super fast, give him a license and give our Racing Game it's biggest boost in years.

We would have mainstream coverage like never before.

Oh, and I know just the perfect person to be James Public Relations Agent, as her specialty is sports people with a little bit of history, one in particular that springs to mind was looking after Sir Mark Todd.

Our Glenda Hughes is by far the best person to do the job.

What do you all say?

1 hour ago, Catalano said:

Sounds like this bloke Gardiner was intimidating MacDonald, and wouldn't leave him alone even when told to. A short spell on the sidelines wouldn't change alot in that regard, whereas an extended break would probably see Gardiner focus elsewhere, and then the young bloke can start afresh.

Sounds like it Cat, and even after JMac had apparently broken off contact, he turns up at his house.....!!??

https://www.racing.com/news/2016-12-22/james-mcdonald-and-the-tennis-player