RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Trump & NZ racing

So it appears Trump will ride a wave of populism into the White House, using the themes "make America great again", and "drain the swamp", which of course means get rid of the spongers and bludgers out of the Congress and House of Representatives.

Gareth Morgan is positioning himself to do the same in NZ.

The question I'd like discussed is when will the grass roots of NZ racing rise up in a populist movement and " make NZ racing great again", and start by "draining the swamp".

Where is the leader in waiting? now cometh your hour..... stand up....

A win by Trump does look likely Midget, on the back of a Nationwide backlash against the Washington establishment..rural versus cities...The blue collars have stood up and whatever Trump said or did didn't seem to matter...the divisions in that Country are huge and they wanted change, and when that sentiment exists it doesn't matter who you are or what you have achieved, the wave is generally too strong to ignore. Whether that feeling exists in NZ for Gareth Morgan to make any inroads is debatable.

NZ Racing...so many conflicts of interest, Government apathy and ignorance, Legislation that needs revamping, Administrative bodies that are broken and on-going failures, Clubs that protect their own and don't want to change, aging infrastructure...on and on it goes.....a hell of a job for anyone brave enough to take it on.

The message is clear. The day of centralised fatcats in Wellington as in Washington is being re evaluated. This is a good time to move racing head offices away from Wellington and onto Ellerslie racecourse.

Reduce top management salaries by 50% and get actual participants more involved in guiding their industry. 

Interesting that Washington DC voted 92% for Clinton. 

Guest 2Admin2
13 hours ago, Midget said:

So it appears Trump will ride a wave of populism into the White House, using the themes "make America great again", and "drain the swamp", which of course means get rid of the spongers and bludgers out of the Congress and House of Representatives.

Gareth Morgan is positioning himself to do the same in NZ.

The question I'd like discussed is when will the grass roots of NZ racing rise up in a populist movement and " make NZ racing great again", and start by "draining the swamp".

Where is the leader in waiting? now cometh your hour..... stand up....

I fail to see Gareth Morgan changing anything.  He seems to be a closet tree loving Greenie who hates cats and with as much charisma as a frog sitting on a frozen duck pond.

I didn't mean to suggest GM was our "great white hope", just that he's clearly embracing the disillusioned populists as Trump did.

That said the MMP system is set up in a way that favours minorities who hold the balance of power, it gives them tremendous leverage, unreasonable leverage to do deals, ask Winston.

1 hour ago, Midget said:

I didn't mean to suggest GM was our "great white hope", just that he's clearly embracing the disillusioned populists as Trump did.

That said the MMP system is set up in a way that favours minorities who hold the balance of power, it gives them tremendous leverage, unreasonable leverage to do deals, ask Winston.

I would have thought that the "Winston" party was our populist party Midget? I hope you aren't suggesting we go back to "first past the post" as a system of electing our government. Although MMP isn't perfect, it at least gives individuals who may not like the two main parties some confidence their vote will count for something. GM is just testing the waters. Personally I don't think his party will get off the ground but he is a clever guy who thinks outside the square so good luck to him I say - and I will be interested to see what policies he has. He also says what he thinks, and has no political baggage or apparent agenda, so maybe he our new populist guy??

These Trump threads are ridiculous and beyond contempt. If a populist guy means someone who makes fun of the handicapped, brags about the way he is able to abuse women, relentlessly insists that someone releases their birth certificate because the president can't surely be a black man, and going by his display in the campaign has no sense of manners or decency, and who behaves like a child when he doesn't get his way, then no, I wouldn't like to see NZ Racing or NZ, as a country, being taken over by a populist guy.

You're missing the point Peter, no one is saying we need a Trump type, in fact most here have expressed contempt for him, however we acknowledge that he has cleverly marshaled the populists and used their discontent to leverage himself into the White House.

Populism is a global phenomena, NZ racing is riddled with it, and all we're suggesting is that if the "right person" stood up and said "we've had enough and we want change, let's drain the swamp that is the NZRB, and arguably the Members Council and NZTR", it's highly likely you'd see a ground swell of support for that individual.

44 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

I don't think I am. My point is that populism isn't always right. Hitler was very popular.

Now you're lurching all over the place.

First it was about Trump being ridiculous because of his flaws, now you're against populism and you're using an extreme example from the 1930's to support your facile position.

I'm not sure you're rational or relevant Peter, sort your thinking out fella.

4 minutes ago, Midget said:

Now you're lurching all over the place.

First it was about Trump being ridiculous because of his flaws, now you're against populism and you're using an extreme example from the 1930's to support your facile position.

I'm not sure you're rational or relevant Peter, sort your thinking out fella.

Perhaps you can give us some "popular" policies that a populist could latch onto that will benefit NZ Racing?

Guest 2Admin2

Trump must be racist - he is kicking a poor black family out of their home.

32 minutes ago, Peter Harrop said:

Perhaps you can give us some "popular" policies that a populist could latch onto that will benefit NZ Racing?

Seriously ? you're being a bit of a tedious smart arse now surely.

My populist views are well known and documented.

I was a key player in the Fairtax movement although I might not always have agreed with some elements of that exercise.

I know how to "rock the boat" though.

I totally support compliance with S9 of the objectives of the Racing act.

I support empowering those who "put on the show", they being trainers, jockeys, owners and punters.

I propose accountability from both NZTR and the NZRB.

I would strip the administrative side of racing in a flash and put the power and control of the industry back into the hands of active racing people at every level from Perone to the amateur clubs run by lawyers and accountants who think they know best.

That's pure populism, which part of it don't you understand Peter ?