RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Manawatu Race 4 - shocker!!

Thanks Toblerone. Just watched the run of Danke tonight. Geoff soon had him in the one out one back position. When he asked him for an effort in the straight note he swishes his tail markedly. Not the sign of a happy camper.Plugged his way to the line and finished sixth. Bemused by your comments Toblerone. Would you like to be more specific? Most posters on this thread have demonised Geoff. I have tried to be more balanced and stated my opinion and have been pilloried for it but I have broad shoulders!

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Toblerone I may be talking kaka but in my opinion it is informed kaka! I would think that I am the only contributor to this thread that has held a Harness Racing Licence and certainly the only one who has driven a Dominion Handicap winner in work!

Love it.......I've strapped Cardigan Bay, got the photo to prove it, but I couldn't sit in a bus, so how lucky was he?

1 hour ago, biff said:

Love it.......I've strapped Cardigan Bay, got the photo to prove it, but I couldn't sit in a bus, so how lucky was he?

my old man used to train down cardigan bay road ..lol we got sumthin  loosely in common ah biff! great horse! possibly the best of all time but at least of that era, the sign is till hangin there on state highway 1, what a local legend!

59 minutes ago, gubellini said:

shapiro my grandfather bred and raced a horse called Nelson Hanover who used to race against Cardigan Bay. So we loosely have something in common!

yeah how did he go? not many nose finishes in those days! did he make a coin?

shapiro Nelson Hanover won 6 races before being sold to the States. He won his debut at Alexandra Park in the Franklin Sapling Stakes on 19/11/60 driven by his trainer Monty Kerr. Others to drive him included Kevin and Maurice Holmes, Red Hillmer, Syd Kemble and Roy Purdon. Not a bad line up!

On 11/25/2016 at 0:55 AM, gubellini said:

Toblerone I may be talking kaka but in my opinion it is informed kaka! I would think that I am the only contributor to this thread that has held a Harness Racing Licence and certainly the only one who has driven a Dominion Handicap winner in work!

Unfortunately Jim, your head is in the clouds on this one. If only you knew the real G Martin and how he actually operates.

It's serious stuff in Aussie

NEWS ROOM

Stewards Report Mathew Neilson

24 November 2016
Logo

Stewards’ Report – Mathew Neilson

Date – 25 October 2016

Panel – P Zimmermann, N Torpey, M Ross

Queensland Racing Integrity Commission (QRIC) Stewards today concluded an inquiry into the driving tactics adopted by Mathew Neilson on Big Abraxas in Race 8 at Albion Park on Tuesday, 25 October 2016. After taking initial evidence Stewards adjourned the inquiry in order to review previous performances of Big Abraxas and investigate wagering on the event.

On resumption and after considering further evidence including phone records, Stewards did not accept the explanation for the manner in which Mr Neilson drove Big Abraxas over the final 200 metres in that event. Stewards were of the opinion that Mr Neilson’s actions were conscious and deliberate which did not allow Big Abraxas to race on its merits. In forming this opinion Stewards were critical of Mr Neilson’s decision not to direct Big Abraxas into the sprint lane when he had full opportunity to do so and which was in direct contrast to its recent starts. Mr Neilson’s distinct lack of vigour, the positioning of his hands at his chest and the obvious tight rein which he had on Big Abraxas was not indicative of a driver contesting a finish, nor was it consistent with his recent drives on Big Abraxas.

Stewards issued charges against Mr Neilson pursuant to the Australian Harness Racing rules as follows:

Charge 1

147.(1) “A driver shall race a horse on its merits.”

147. (2) “Action or non action by a driver during the course of a race which prevents or impedes the horse driven by that driver from racing on its merits shall be sufficient to establish non compliance with sub rule (10).”

The particulars of the charge being, that Mr Neilson, as the driver of Big Abraxas in Race 8 at Albion Park on Tuesday, 25 October 2016, when trailing Leighmont approaching the final turn and afforded first use of the sprint lane, failed to take the run when full opportunity to do so was available and which would have allowed Big Abraxas a clear and uninterrupted run to the finish. Further, from the top of the home straight Big Abraxas was held on a tight rein which is in contrast to its recent racing pattern and his direct actions failed to allow Big Abraxas to race on its merits.

Charge 2

149.(1) “A driver shall take all reasonable and permissible measures during the course of a race to ensure that the horse driven by that driver is given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing in the field.”

The particulars of the charge being, that Mr Neilson, as the driver of Big Abraxas in Race 8 at Albion Park on Tuesday, 25 October 2016, when trailing Leighmont approaching the final turn and afforded first use of the sprint lane, failed to take the run when it was reasonable and permissible to do so and when full opportunity was presented which would have allowed Big Abraxas a clear and uninterrupted run to the finish. Further, from the top of the home straight Big Abraxas was held on a tight rein which is in contrast to its recent racing pattern when it was reasonable and permissible to drive the horse out in the run to the finish.

Mr Neilson pleaded not guilty to charge 1 and charge 2.

After due consideration Stewards were of the view that both charges could be sustained and formally found Mr Neilson guilty.

When assessing the matter of penalty Stewards were mindful of the following:

• The serious nature of the charges

• Mr Neilson’s licence history and his personal and financial situation

• The particular circumstances of the case

• The need for the penalty to serve as a deterrent to illustrate the paramount importance of the integrity of Harness Racing

• Penalty precedents

After consideration Stewards imposed the following penalties:

Charge 1 – Disqualification for a period of 12 months effective immediately

Charge 2 – Suspension of licence for a period of 6 months

In accordance with AHR Rule 150(3), Stewards directed that the penalty imposed under Rule 149(1) be suspended pending the decision on any subsequent appeal or right of review.

Thanks Toblerone. I just hope the JCA give Geoff a fair hearing on Thursday and concentrate on the two driving charges rather than dredging up his previous misdemeanours. There should be a statute of limitation on them anyway.

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Thanks Toblerone. I just hope the JCA give Geoff a fair hearing on Thursday and concentrate on the two driving charges rather than dredging up his previous misdemeanours. There should be a statute of limitation on them anyway.

I am sure they will give him a fair hearing, as they are always consistent aren't they? Yeah right!

Jeremy Markham being charged yesterday was a shocker!

27 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Geoff Martin Innocent!

Quote Nick Ydgren from box seat last night...

"none of the stewards subscribe to the theory the whip is the only to encourage a horse"

Geoff Martin encourages his horse in a different manner without the whip. Previous drives will prove that.

Have the had the hearing?

If Martin gets off it is an absolute farce and the Stipes should hang their heads in shame!

They crucified Jeremy Markham, Alistair Lowe and Andrew Fitzgerald 2 of which are Juniors in recent times!

29 minutes ago, Brodie said:

If Martin gets off it is an absolute farce and the Stipes should hang their heads in shame!

They crucified Jeremy Markham, Alistair Lowe and Andrew Fitzgerald 2 of which are Juniors in recent times!

just watched the race, i am stunned that he would be suspended for that? i obviously don't have the video evidence that the stipes have but come on! an explanation how or why j markham got suspended for that stipes would be appreciated , r u kidding?

On 11/25/2016 at 0:55 AM, gubellini said:

Sorry gub,you are  certainly not the only contributor that has held a licence and driven a Dominion Handicap winner.

3 hours ago, Brodie said:

Well, Well, one charge upheld after all. Penalty to be decided at Alex Park Friday night.

Tonight at Cambridge on the Manawatu 3 November charge the JCA upheld the charge against Geoff under rule 868(1).

On the Cambridge 17 November charge the rule 868(1) charge was dismissed but the 868(2) charge was upheld. 

Penalty decision to be heard at A.T.C. meeting tomorrow night.

Oh well looks like Geoff Martin Lynch Mob 1 gubellini 0. Looks like he will get a disqualification period for the Manawatu charge and a fine for the lesser Cambridge charge. I will continue to defend drivers and jockeys when I deem it to be appropriate. Any thoughts on his penalty to be delivered at Auckland tonight?

16 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Oh well looks like Geoff Martin Lynch Mob 1 gubellini 0. Looks like he will get a disqualification period for the Manawatu charge and a fine for the lesser Cambridge charge. I will continue to defend drivers and jockeys when I deem it to be appropriate. Any thoughts on his penalty to be delivered at Auckland tonight?

nah you are alright mate, its obvious you care about this game and thats what really counts, no winners or losers whatever the penalty for g.martin, its not him personally we are attacking, (although it must seem like that!) just clarification , consistency and dare i say it? ..integrity of the rules

54 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Gubellini, not a lynch mob whatsoever.

Just what is fair.

Blatantly drove with disdain for the punter!

Yet, Junior drivers who are trying are getting done for no wrongdoing in the South Island.

All we ask is fairness and total consistency for all.