RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Manawatu Race 4 - shocker!!

7 hours ago, eljay said:

Not defending Geoff, but I really think he did not see or realise the horses wide out were finishing quite so fast and considered he had them covered.   Perhaps just prior to putting whip away he should have struck either the shaft or dust sheet .    He certainly was "yelling" at the horse all way down the straight and knew they were there - perhapas he even misjudged where the finishing line was.     However I have no doubt he will be judged in light of previous similar "misdemeanours" and I do note this horse has been up continually for 12 months so a holiday for Geoff might fit in well for the horse as well!

he knew his horse was there? ...AND! he yelled at it!  ... you really like me just have to accept this bullshit or else we are dead as an industry and a (reasonable/ realistic) will just happen even though its not us, its this monopolization of the tax code and mandate that hurt the the owner, the trainer, and the driver and the punter!

Seems odd that when's he's running 5th or 6th in a race there's more vigour trying to run a place. I know the handicapping system doesn't help horses like this but deliberately not trying to  is a disgrace and shouldn't be tolerated as long as it has been. Makes the game harness game look to dodgy to be true. 

1 hour ago, shapiro said:

what a post and what a cock! have you actually read back your own post?  ... he had to drive his horse that way because of a previous bad drive because he feared he would be charged under some sort of meandering rules that depending on the who you know rule?

Geoff Martin has been consistent with his drives on Danke for at least half a dozen races so I don't think his latest drive was out of character at all (apart from 2 cracks of the whip which could come back to haunt him)

1 hour ago, shapiro said:

what a post and what a cock!

Race cafe needs dislikes

That drive beggars belief ,. Surely he wouldn't think he's going to get away with that again after what is  still hanging over his head , it's that bad it will probably turn up on YouTube and go viral 

I think they need to apply the Mike  Stratford penalty to this clown , he's just taking the p...s and enoughs enough , 

no wonder we are losing turnover 

he should be gone for life with no chance of coming back  , it's disgraceful !!!

2 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Umm...hello.....there are a couple of us who agree with you gubellini

yep shine your happy light and shine !!! say hi to jesus for me cause geoff martin is going to need him on this one! perhaps you should be a part of his defeance team and explain to the stipes , punters and anyone with 20/20 eyesight how this was not a blatant example of someone just taking the piss!!!

5 hours ago, what a post said:

Shapiro, Are you the fellow racecafe  banned earlier with a mouth like chopper reid,or just his twin? Strange that Brodie likes your post

What a post. I liked the post due to the fact that he said that he had to drive that way due to his previous bad drive?

Sorry, but I can't see how you can defend such mediocre performances in the cart.

It really does look very bad and yet he still is allowed to drive even though he has been charged twice but had hearings adjourned for some unknown reason.

17 minutes ago, shapiro said:

perhaps you should be a part of his defeance team and explain to the stipes , punters and anyone with 20/20 eyesight how this was not a blatant example of someone just taking the piss!!!

Why don't you go back and watch all his recent races instead of seeing what you want to see.

What do you think of the Allan Beck drive mentioned in this thread? Why are you not baying for his blood?

You should really read the whole 4 pages of comment to understand what has been talked about instead of flying in here and shouting your ignorant mouth off.

24 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Why don't you go back and watch all his recent races instead of seeing what you want to see.

What do you think of the Allan Beck drive mentioned in this thread? Why are you not baying for his blood?

You should really read the whole 4 pages of comment to understand what has been talked about instead of flying in here and shouting your ignorant mouth off.

i am not ignorant as far as i can see! but if i was then there are also other people on here who by your standards who express an opinion opposing your viewpoint are ignorant!!   .. including the stipendary stewards and punters that arent legally blind!  ,, but what would the stipes know ah happy clapper! .. u go girl!

3 hours ago, gubellini said:

Sad to see the judge,jury and executioner brigade going ballistic on this thread. Wait for the respective inquiries to conclude and you can all eat humble pie!

Can't really see how he can possibly get off and he should get a very long stint in the stands if there is any integrity whatsoever.

You can't have Drivers doing what Geoff Martin has done or hasn't done and getting away with it!

He clearly didnt drive to win and he tucked the whip away well short of the line and got beaten, which is a clear case of not giving his horse every chance to win.

Maybe he is just incompetent but that is not a defence for the charges sorry!

If he gets off the charges then the Judiciary system should hang their heads in shame.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, gubellini said:

shapiro and Brodie Danke was trying his best the last 50 metres. If Geoff had put the whip on him he would have either broken or shortened stride take your pick. Case dismissed!

please address your expert opinion to the stipes the vet and of course the punter, those tricky stipes! .. those bastards! harassing a guy cause he didnt try to win 50  off the post, these stipes need to stop picking on the little guy ah gullible!!!!!!!

19 hours ago, Brodie said:

Harewood, he put the whip away even though he wasn't using it, and I can't see him use it just before the line at all!

Brodie i dont know whether you were watching the same race as me or you need glasses but G Martin hit Danke 3 times with the whip between the 200 and 100 before he stopped.  Admittedly it wasnt a thrashing  as per some other drivers but he definitely hit the horse on the rump and Danke responded. Unfortnuatley he didnt continue  a couple more times and he would have won. As I previously said he thought he had done enough and had the race won. A poor decision and lack of judgement which yes he should be penalized with. Also you can see him raise the whip 20 or so meters from the line alas too late. I am not defending him but on this occasion at leased he was trying to win and should have if driven competently. 

If you watch on the up close replay they have just after the race, the camera was right on him and he never hit the horse he waved the whip to make it look like he hit the horse but if u watch closely and can clearly the whip it never touchs the horse.so of the hit actions were going up wards and they last few were were just short downward motions as if to make it look like he was trying. Just look  his left hand and you will see hes had a very strong hold of the reins as well  . Had he left it run to the line not under a hold it wouldve won hitting it or not hitting it. 

Driving Trotters: A Cautionary Tale

In the 1973-4 Season Cambridge farmer Gad Carter took over the ownership of the handy Trotter Heroic from the Estate of W. E. Hyslop. Fred Walker had trained him. Gad transferred him to fellow Cambridge trainer Bob Mitchell Senior a dab hand with Trotters. In Bob's employ was a Probationary Driver called Graham Bruton. He was struggling to get drives. Gad told Bob to let Graham drive Heroic. Bob soon had Heroic humming. He entered him in a race at Cambridge. Graham was so confident of winning he sold his car a few days before the race and plonked the lot on the nose of Heroic. Bob told Graham - Whatever you do don't put the whip on him! Graham had a handy lead into the straight. 50 metres from the post the pack closed. Graham panicked and hit Heroic with the whip. He broke and was beaten!

Hoofnote : Graham is still selling cars-these days in Wellington. He has joined the Trotting ownership again with Glass Half Full.

3 hours ago, harewood said:

Brodie i dont know whether you were watching the same race as me or you need glasses but G Martin hit Danke 3 times with the whip between the 200 and 100 before he stopped.  Admittedly it wasnt a thrashing  as per some other drivers but he definitely hit the horse on the rump and Danke responded. Unfortnuatley he didnt continue  a couple more times and he would have won. As I previously said he thought he had done enough and had the race won. A poor decision and lack of judgement which yes he should be penalized with. Also you can see him raise the whip 20 or so meters from the line alas too late. I am not defending him but on this occasion at leased he was trying to win and should have if driven competently. 

Harewood, obviously our eyes are seeing differently.

Geoff Martin's whip never once has touched Danke.

He is just waving it in the air, end of storey.

You clearly know the fellah which is fine, but deserves a severe punishment if there is any justice from the JCA and can't see why it takes so long!

19 hours ago, gubellini said:

Guys settle down! Danke is a professional place getter with VERY limited ability. Now 6/130. Cambridge stats 0/16. Geoff has been driving for decades. Get off his case. As for punters being ripped off I don't back horses with limited ability such as Danke. If you do you are on the road to penury.

Short-sighted view. JOG.

6 hours ago, harewood said:

Mate, you definitely need to go to Specsavers. That, or lay off the crack.

11 hours ago, shapiro said:

yep shine your happy light and shine !!! say hi to jesus for me cause geoff martin is going to need him on this one! perhaps you should be a part of his defeance team and explain to the stipes , punters and anyone with 20/20 eyesight how this was not a blatant example of someone just taking the piss!!!

Thats the problem with this industry. Everyone pretends that this stuff isn't happening and everything is fine. Dont think the Nathan Jack incident is an isolated one and it doesnt happen here in NZ as well.

10 hours ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Whats the point of going back and watching his previous starts he's been doing this with the horse forever. He has been backing it to place and anchoring in Trifectas and First Fours forever and about time they caught up with him.

As Brodie has been saying it is a terrible look for the industry and how they allow him to keep driving is beyond me.

The JCA needs to grow a pair and stop trying to not hurt the drivers and trainers feelings. They are not around to be mates with them but to protect us punters who are the life blood of the industry from these dirty dealings

Oz Punter what proof do you have of Geoff's betting patterns on Danke? Ill informed conjecture I would surmise.All Geoff needs to do is gather statements from other drivers who have driven Sundon's in races and these charges will be dropped.They generally are not very tractable and some can be difficult to drive. Danke often breaks at the start or in the running.

12 hours ago, shapiro said:

i am not ignorant as far as i can see! but if i was then there are also other people on here who by your standards who express an opinion opposing your viewpoint are ignorant!!   .. including the stipendary stewards and punters that arent legally blind!  ,, but what would the stipes know ah happy clapper! .. u go girl!

Yeah, you are ignorant because you don't pay attention to the other people's views. You think you do but when you are as blinkered and simple as you then you wouldn't know that.

You can't even see the hypocrisy of the people who agree with you. Namely, the ones who want consistency in punishments and the little fella in the game not to be picked on but you lot want him banned for life, NOW!

So Shapiro, do you think the stipe's are doing a good job with this case? You just ignored my asking about your thoughts on Allan Beck's drive so still waiting for that.

You remind me of John Ryan, a once poster on here who abused everyone, he eventually departed. It was good when he was gone because everyone on here is pretty sane and good-natured....

don't hit yourself on the way out but I won't mind if you do.

27 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Oz Punter what proof do you have of Geoff's betting patterns on Danke? Ill informed conjecture I would surmise.All Geoff needs to do is gather statements from other drivers who have driven Sundon's in races and these charges will be dropped.They generally are not very tractable and some can be difficult to drive. Danke often breaks at the start or in the running.

WHAT AN IDIOT!! yeah never heard of these sundons ever being good , so what if he was the most successful sire of all time in nz!  ... did you drive a sundon? ...how did he go?   ... he broke!!!!! tell the other drivers and the stipes and they will be horrified!!!!   ... quick as asap! the harness racing industry needs to hear of this groundbreaking revelation!

Edited by shapiro