RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Another Abandonment

It will certainly help the Wingatui fields, but of course I think I am right in saying that Otago meeting is the only meeting in NZ all season that doesn't have a single race further than 1,600m, so not much opportunity for a horse like Miss Three Stars trying to warm up for the Cup.

Meeting News

Gore Meeting Abandoned. Otago info update below.

Today’s Gore races have been abandoned due to surface water on the track and continuing heavy rain. The RIU together with club representatives inspected the track this morning and unanimously considered the track unsafe to race. Nominations for the Otago races on 1 November will remain open until 9am Saturday morning. NZTR, in conjunction with the Club, will look to split races as required. The Otago Racing Club is unable to run more than 10 races on the day.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

Bloody hell. And if I recall correctly, that is a track that had quite a bit of money spent on it.

There is quite a few tracks around the country that hav suffered the same fate, sum of them have had multiple abandonments. So much for improvements.

3 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Bloody hell. And if I recall correctly, that is a track that had quite a bit of money spent on it.

Tracks that 'have had quite a bit of money spent on it' are the worst types

Wingatui, Ashburton, Rangiora, Riccarton, Wellington, Counties, even little old Kumara

Nature put those tracks down a certain way and if you bugger about with them it tends to come unstuck

Poor kumara, can remember the old days, raced in all weather and track conditions, then the upgrade and two or three abandonments since,must be crippling for any clubs in this situation, and begs the question are we trying to hard to improve these tracks.if it not broken, don't fix it.

Obvious from all of the above posts that not one of you have been in Southland in the past 24hrs to experience the absolute deluge of water that has fallen.  There is a lot of surface water lying everywhere not just at the racecourse.

Nothing could have been done differently by the course, rainfall in the past 3 days had been near non stop.

12 hours ago, Willow Grove said:

Obvious from all of the above posts that not one of you have been in Southland in the past 24hrs to experience the absolute deluge of water that has fallen.  There is a lot of surface water lying everywhere not just at the racecourse.

Nothing could have been done differently by the course, rainfall in the past 3 days had been near non stop.

Thank you for that. These things do happen occasionally

20 hours ago, Willow Grove said:

Never worries us on the Coast

29 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

They do get the odd shower or two there, they do breed them tough though. I think greymouth have had the odd abandonment, westport had a meeting called off with 2 races left one year, then a horse called mutual belle went out straight after and had a track gallop with no problems at all, i think that was the last straw for the club, although may have a 1 or so meetings after that, shame really given always had a good surface, just never got the crowd.  

55 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

The one time I went to Kumara it did, despite a couple of helicopters called in to try and dry it out. Too much coal dust on the surface it seemed. That said the crowd seemed un-phased and the piss-up continued as we loaded up and headed home.

36 minutes ago, Leggy said:

The one time I went to Kumara it did, despite a couple of helicopters called in to try and dry it out. Too much coal dust on the surface it seemed. That said the crowd seemed un-phased and the piss-up continued as we loaded up and headed home.

See my first contribution to this thread - that Kumara abandonment was after track reno. Unfortunately these days we too have to bow to the weather. That comment was a piss take(which is not too be confused with a 'piss up' or when it is 'pissing down' - both phenomena with which the Coast is familiar)

30 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Yeahh well it was a piss poor track reno, like most of them. From what I could see it was a bloody good piss up, after the piss down, that caused the abandonment. We tried to join in on the way home.

Very well sumed up, i was at the helicopter meeting and got into a spin after it was canned, never went back, not sure from memory if that was the meeting where a horse called portifino bay won the first race, and then the cancellation, that horse went on to be a handy preformer for the parsons stable.

3 minutes ago, Leggy said:

From memory, no races were run that day.

Just had a look back must have been the previous abandonment that 1 race was held and Portifino bay didnt win it, but was one of the horses that slipped on the surface, old age, my memory not as good as it used to be, they may have had 3 canned meetings and 1 was run on a monday, sumone will know.