RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Kaikoura

Can someone explain to me the rationale behind this Kaikoura experiment? Why have six fields on the Sunday and then nine pretty mixed fields on the Monday?

Surely it would have been more efficient to hold ten races on the Monday and use some of the Sunday horses to bulk out the Monday fields.

It isn't as if Kaikoura has ever been able to run ten capacity fields anyhow.

A few ideas why Mr Doomed

1. get people into town on sunday and spend the night before eating and drinking and booking accomodation

2. Get more horses running 

3. Build the buzz around the monday races

4. two chances to show the amazing scenery and grow the event..

I have no idea if I'm right but seems to make sense to me. This is year one - worth a throw of the dice I would have thought?

Kaikoura TC have long toyed with the idea of a two day meeting to try and utilize a track that has only been used once a year. They have come up with the towconsecutive days meeting. I think they need to be applauded with this initiative in trying something different. This forum has been quick to run down NZ trotting and how they need to change things to get people back to the track and increase turnover. I think we should all support the KK trotting club in  trying something different. 

Anybody who has been to the Kaikoura meeting will know it is a very enjoyable day with a good track and an outstanding vista. (Apart from when the southerly is blowing) Always has great crowds and I bet this year with the extra day they will have a record crowd (weather permitting) on the Monday  Many will come up and stay one or two nights, including trainers, and the usual crowd will still arrive on the Monday. The town will be buzzing and I wish I could be part of it this year.

Now lets all support it by attending, betting or just watching. If it fails and doesnt work out nothing is lost and it will revert to just one day next year. I think this two day meeting will be here to stay! 

I was really surprised when i read months ago that they were going to hold  a 2 day meeting...and then after seeing the fields for Monday..i was feeling a tad flat initially..as i started thinking that surely if it was still a 1 day meeting,then would Monday's fields be bigger..they more than likely would be.But now good on the KTC for trying to do something different...yes i do support the *if it aint broke,dont fix it' rule...but the fact that it's an iconic track in New Zealand,why not show case it for 2 days.I've been to most Kaikoura Cup Days,since i moved to Marlborough many years ago....and i am going to this meeting on the Monday...not going on the Sunday.Will be heading into the township on Sunday night,so i'll be interested to see if there are more bodies about than previous Cup Eves.I seriously hope that the club has a great 2 days...and rain,hail or shine..it's going to be a great 2 days of racing.

It is Marlborough anniversary weekend I think.

Is there going to be enough accommodation in Kaikoura to house the owners, trainers and punters for 2 or 3 nights

3 minutes ago, Brodie said:

It is Marlborough anniversary weekend I think.

Is there going to be enough accommodation in Kaikoura to house the owners, trainers and punters for 2 or 3 nights

With the number of restricted punters and trainers staying home to avoiding facing Purdon runners there will be ample accommodation.

On 10/27/2016 at 7:55 PM, Mardy said:

I was really surprised when i read months ago that they were going to hold  a 2 day meeting...and then after seeing the fields for Monday..i was feeling a tad flat initially..as i started thinking that surely if it was still a 1 day meeting,then would Monday's fields be bigger..they more than likely would be.But now good on the KTC for trying to do something different...yes i do support the *if it aint broke,dont fix it' rule...but the fact that it's an iconic track in New Zealand,why not show case it for 2 days.I've been to most Kaikoura Cup Days,since i moved to Marlborough many years ago....and i am going to this meeting on the Monday...not going on the Sunday.Will be heading into the township on Sunday night,so i'll be interested to see if there are more bodies about than previous Cup Eves.I seriously hope that the club has a great 2 days...and rain,hail or shine..it's going to be a great 2 days of racing.

Your idol A. Butt is also appearing, what can go wrong?