RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

Why GALLOPS bookmaker to be on The Box Seat??

Thad Taylor a TAB Bookmaker is appearing on "The Boxseat" this coming Wednesday.

I think this a great idea so that several hard questions can be asked of him by the boys!

The question you have to ask is why is a GALLOPS BOOKMAKER on when "the Box Seat" is for HARNESS isn't it?

It will be very interesting to see if the right questions are asked in regard to odds setting, punters restrictions etc.etc. and whether Thad will answer the questions or kick for touch saying that he isn't a harness bookmaker!

Wouldnt it be far better to have Stephen Richardson on seem he is the harness bookmaker and should have more of an idea of what is affecting HARNESS rather than GALLOPS?

Your thoughts!

Correct Brodie.

The whole thing will depend on the hosts. 

Will they throw some generic questions at him?  Will they follow up on their initial questions to delve deeper into the issues or will they let him be a spin doctor?

I severely doubt punter restrictions will be brought up as they let someone put $94 000 on a rugby game to possibly win over $20 000. Sounds like a good defence to me but doesn't answer your question.

All on Mr Guerin I think. He is the bravest. 

My view on this is that Stephen as the trot bookmaker is more knowledgeable than Thad on harness but not as photogenic or as comfortable on television.

1 hour ago, IWMC said:

My view on this is that Stephen as the trot bookmaker is more knowledgeable than Thad on harness but not as photogenic or as comfortable on television.

To have the hard questions answered you would have thought that they should have the correct person fronting up Wouldnt you?

There are some real serious issues that affect harness bookmakers at the moment and to have a following bookmaker on is a bit irrational I would have thought.

Hopefully Thad is schooled up with the correct answers to questions he probably will know about before he fronts up!

Dont think it has anything whatsoever to do with being photogenic as all the Trackside presenters are covered in makeup anyway.

Thought that was pretty good and couldn't expect too much more. A little summary for those who haven't seen it.....

Brodie is one of 2 dozen! They even said the restriction level lol!

First answer was pretty bizarre that they have to change things manually. Good lord, is this not the digital age! I took from this that if one price goes down they takes ages to change the others.

Opening prices at not flash, Thought he said 139% at start but then he went to 135% and then they close at 121%. They seem scared of Purdon and Favourites so they will always be tight. 

Interesting he mentioned the Risk Team! They might be the tight ones.... also interesting that they have connections in stables to help them! Very interesting really!

The opening times inconsistency seemed a little weak. One opens after the after because they move onto the next market....why can't they do both earlier in the day?

The influence of punters on the market? They ask how good is that punter, they monitor and restrict through profiling based on long term profits. Odd he said it is profitable to TAB to restrict them BUT also the industry. Thought that needed explaining more. Why the industry?

So you can get your restriction price per multi-leg. Maybe that is the way around the restrictions but makes the punter at risk more.

Tote is in decline as it is 50 50 with FF. Interesting fact too.

Want to know more about the Risk Team!!

Overall, no surprise but at least we now know they restrict a select few.....Brodie vindicated!

With due respect Happy Sunrise, the restrictions are a fairly well known fact. A wide-ranging expose was done on this issue in a harness magazine recently, complete with interviews and horror stories from a number of restricted punters. I think the 'two dozen' is a little light. It was a figure Michael pulled out of his butt and Thad went with... more likely the number is double that.

Thad, did a good job for the TAB?

Good to have someone on but why Thad?

Said they weren't perfect, which is on the mark!

He didn't say how many were restricted punters, if he was a harness bookie he would know exactly how many were restricted to pathetic amounts.

The article a couple of months ago in "Harness Express" showed how pathetic the Bookies have got.

They phone pub TABs and use cameras at agencies to restrict.

The agencies staff get pissed off with having their income reduced due to punters restrictions.

If the Bookies carry on the way they are then they will self destruct.

Thad stated that the yield,over the past couple of years had improved.

No kidding Thad, pathetic odds and shut down anyone that has won over the past few years, of course your yield,is going to improve.

Answer me this Thad, has the fixed odds and tote betting combined turnover increased from NZ punters over the past couple of years????

1 hour ago, Toblerone said:

With due respect Happy Sunrise, the restrictions are a fairly well known fact. A wide-ranging expose was done on this issue in a harness magazine recently, complete with interviews and horror stories from a number of restricted punters. I think the 'two dozen' is a little light. It was a figure Michael pulled out of his butt and Thad went with... more likely the number is double that.

Cheers, Toblerone. 

I am not up with the play most times. 

They weren't allowed to ask them ,as Michael alluded to ,so he skirted around them. He looked as though he wanted to I must admit and Im sure they aren't without some knowledge of the state of the nation re the TAB.

A complete waste of time to be honest

16 hours ago, Sickopunter said:

Thad did a great job. Of waffling. And giving us a whole bunch of information we already knew or didn't want.

Where were all the tough questions?

I liken it to question time in parliament, a government mp is never going to be allowed to ask a tough question of a minister.