RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

2016 Cox Plate

Final field will be declared today. It is being billed as the heavyweight battle between between Winx and Hartnell. I see it that way as well and can't wait for the bang as the gates swing open on Saturday. How will the race be run, what influence will the draws have? What will be the state of the track following the Friday night's racing on the track when there is rain forecast Friday?  Will there be a huge upset?

The big two:

WINX VERSUS HARTNELL

WINX

5YO mare

22 starts 16 wins 3 seconds. $7,498,175

LAST THREE STARTS

WON Warwick Stakes (1400m), Randwick August 20. Margin 3.5 lengths, from Hartnell.

WON Colgate Optic (1600m) Randwick September 17. Margin 1.3 lengths.

WON Ladbrokes Stakes (2000m) Caulfield October 8. Margin: 2 lengths.

HARTNELL

6YO gelding

26 starts 10 wins, five seconds. $2,233,999.

LAST THREE STARTS

WON Chelmsford (1600), Randwick September 3. Margin 7.8 lengths.

WON Hill Stakes (1600m) Randwick September 17. Margin 5.8 lengths.

WON Turnbull Stakes (2000m) Flemington October 2. Margin: 3.3 lengths, from Jameka

HEAD TO HEAD

WINX 3, HARTNELL 0

2015 COX PLATE (October 24): Winx first, Hartnell fifth. Margin: 10 lengths.

2016 CHIPPING NORTON STAKES (February 27) Winx first, Hartnell fifth. Margin: 4.7 lengths.

2016 WARWICK STAKES (August 20). Winx first, Hartnell second. Margin 3.5 lengths

As George says "Let's bring it on."    

11 minutes ago, zelda kratchanova 2 said:

only pollyanna and idoits would see it as a 2 horse race, n0?

its a horse race for Gods sake.:ph34r:

as Bill says "yankee rose races into equines immortalitity"

lump on and thamk me L8R

gambol responsibly

Trouble is no one has anything to lump on after Real Love. :D

real love

boris says jump on and thank me L8R;)

Can Yankee Rose do this?

7c68a6dc98c17e94196bc1205bbbb370?width=650Some would say Cox Plate favourite Winx walks on water and they might be right. Picture: Colleen Petch. 

Great photo. 

PS: Should Hartnell win what price would he start at in the Melbourne Cup. 

zelda says tell yoiu

idoit!

i tip you a thousand winners and you throw a craig williams muppet ride in my face :angry:

s a k a t a , n0?

remembers steady, monies lost NOTHING lost, confidences lost EVERYTHNG lost, n0?

Why not Vadamos ?

World's best trainer, Andre Fabre

World's best jockey, Joe Moreira

World class G1 winning miler

Has won up to 2400 though so the trip is no problem.

Can race forward if required, or back, doesn't seem to bother him.

Handles all track conditions, but being French he'll love a wee bit of cut.

Has been working the house down at the Valley, changing legs on the turns beautifully and looking like a happy horse.

Lump it on, thank me later.

12 minutes ago, Midget said:

Why not Vadamos ?

Has been working the house down at the Valley, changing legs on the turns beautifully and looking like a happy horse.

Pretty much the unknown runner in the race: 

A progressive son of outstanding European sire Monsun, known in Australia through the deeds of Melbourne Cup winners Fiorente andProtectionist, Vadamos is a six-year-old stallion trained by French racing legend Andre Fabre. He is part-owned by leading Australian owner and breeder John Camilleri.

Breaking his maiden at his fourth career start when trained by Francois Rohaut, Vadamos steadily improved throughout his three year old season in 2014 by winning over 2400m at Longchamp before taking out the Listed Prix Frederic de Lagrange over 2400m at Vichy on soft ground on July 26. He contested the Group 2 Prix Niel at his next start but failed to land a blow.

Returning in 2015 and transferred to the stables of Fabre, Vadamos only had three starts for the year – he won a 2000m Conditions race at Chantilly on July 12 before a dominant five-length win in the Group 2 Oettingen-Rennen over 2400m at Baden-Baden in Germany on September 3. His final start for the season produced a disappointing performance when last in the Group 1 Champions Stakes at Ascot on October 17, dropping out after racing keen on the speed.

Vadamos resumed over 1600m in a Conditions race on the Chantilly All-Weather track, finishing runner up to champion miler Solow when beaten by one-and-a-half lengths. He then went to Dubai, finishing well back behind California Chrome in the World Cup over 2000m on Dirt, failing to handle the surface.

His form since Dubai has been first rate, easily winning the Group 2 Prix du Mugeut over 1600m at Saint-Cloud on Good ground on May 1.

He followed that up by leading in the Group 1 Prix d’Ispahan but being easily beaten in fourth behind superstar Japanese galloper A Shin Hikari on heavy ground on May 24.

An ease in distance and a return to better going saw Vadamos score a dominant win in the Group 3 Prix Messidor over 1600m on July 17 at Maisons-laffitte.

Fabre then targeted France’s two feature mile races with his stallion and almost pulled off the big double. Lining up in the Group 1 Jacques Le Marois over 1600m at Deauville on August 14, Vadamos was slow to begin before taking up a prominent position. Despite giving his all, Vadamos was beaten by half a length by high-class three year old Ribchester – but well clear of his rivals that included outstanding gallopers Esoterique, Galileo Gold and Arod.

At his final European start before entering quarantine, Vadamos contested the Group 1 Prix du Moulin de Longchamp over 1600m at Chantilly on September 11 – a race won in 2005 by Australian champion Starcraft. With jockey Vincent Cheminaud controlling the race from the front, Vadamos quickened nicely over the final 400m of the race to easily account for his five rivals and claim his first elite level success.

Vadamos has tactical versatility, proving that he can lead and control a race or stalk the speed. He has proven effective on all ground.

I'd be surprised if one of the lesser lights (who I'd still love to own!) doesn't try and make it a staying contest - how else do you beat Winx? Certainly, she'll get no favours in the running, but with Vadamos on her inside, should be able to hold her position and sit 1:1, assuming something takes up the running (maybe Awesome Rock as he did in the Australian Cup?)

Yankee Rose gets the run of the race 3 back on the rail, Hartnell should get a run on Winx's back.

No excuses turning for home - going to be a classic!

No Last 10 Horse Trainer Jockey Barrier Weight Penalty Hcp Rating
1 08x0775x85 HAPPY TRAILS Paul Beshara Ben Melham 10 59kg   112
2 21212x1212 BLACK HEART BART Darren Weir Brad Rawiller 6 59kg   118
3 650x5x2111 HARTNELL (GB) John O'Shea James McDonald 7 59kg   123
4 332722x121 HAURAKI John O'Shea   8 59kg   118
5 1x4523x564 HAPPY CLAPPER Patrick Webster Brenton Avdulla 4 59kg   115
6 10x2014121 VADAMOS (FR) Andre Fabre Joao Moreira 2 59kg   121
7 x0420x0155 AWESOME ROCK Leon & Troy Corstens Stephen Baster 5 59kg   115
8 1x1111x111 WINX Chris Waller Hugh Bowman 3 57kg   127
9 8915x41x43 LUCIA VALENTINA (NZ) Kris Lees Kerrin McEvoy 9 57kg   117
10 11x21x621 YANKEE ROSE David Vandyke Dean Yendall 1 47.5kg   112

The typhoon standing between jockeys and the Cox Plate

By Chris Roots

Oct. 18 (Sydney Morning Herald) -- French horse Vadamos might have to find a third jockey in the week leading into the Cox Plate with Typhoon Haima set to stand in the way of Hong Kong jockeys being released to come to Australia.

Superstar jockey Joao Moreira was booked for Vadamos in Saturday's Cox Plate after Damien Oliver was suspended for reckless riding. But Moreira could be grounded by the typhoon, along with Sam Clipperton, who is set to return to ride English in the Manikato Stakes on Friday.

The Hong Kong Jockey Club has a policy of releasing contracted jockeys for group 1 rides but requires them not to miss any meeting in the racing mecca. The likelihood of typhoon hitting Hong Kong would stop any release of jockeys.

"The jockeys are due to leave Hong Kong on Thursday, but the concern is not them leaving but will they be able to get back here to ride on Sunday," Hong Kong steward Steve Railton said. "There are two typhoons in the region and the one is supposed to hit Hong Kong on Friday and Saturday. We have to make the call on if they will be allowed to go before Thursday and have communicated that to [Racing Victoria chief steward] Terry Bailey and his panel in Victoria, so they are prepared.

"We had a situation last year where Joao Moreira and Zac Purton were not able to get back for one our meetings after group 1 rides in October and being our two champion riders it had a significant effect on betting turnover.

"With our racing and the smaller group of jockeys if Joao Moreira and Sam Clipperton were unable to get back it would mean significant late changes to riders, because they would both have full books, and flow-on effects on turnover."

Racing Victoria was monitoring the situation. It's deputy chief steward, Robert Cram, said: "Hong Kong has told us that they would not release jockeys if they can not return for Sunday's meeting.

"Connections have been made aware of this and to prepare by having a jockey on standby if the Hong Kong jockeys cannot make the trip."

Gai Waterhouse, who trains English, spoke of her experience with typhoons in Hong Kong.

"I have been there when there was a typhoon warning and the storm never came," Waterhouse said. "These poor jockeys could be grounded and it might not come.

"We will prepare with someone in the wings but we are hoping we might not need the understudy."

Cox Plate barrier draw

Cox Plate favourite Winx has taken the advantaged over Hartnell following the barrier draw.

Defending champion Winx was the second horse out in the draw and owner Peter Tighe walked up and took barrier three.

"I had wanted four but three will have to do," he said.

Winx was made the $2.20 favourite by Ladbrokes straight after the draw with Hartnell out to $3.20.

Hartnell had to wait until late in the draw and was left with gate seven, which is alongside Godolphin stablemate Hauraki in gate eight.

Asked if he was concerned about Winx's good draw, Hartnell's trainer John O'Shea quipped, "I am concerned she is in the race.

"She is champion mare and it is going to be very good contest."

Hartnell was fifth beaten 10 lengths in the Cox Plate last year, but James McDonald takes confident from three wins in a row, including the Turnbull Stakes last start.

"He is going much better. He is lovely relaxed horse now," McDonald said.

Hugh Bowman has an air of confidence when he talks of winning another Cox Plate with Winx, which has won the George Main and Caulfield Stakes at her past two start to make it 12 wins in a row.

"She has thrived since that last run and she is ready to go," Bowman said.

Cox Plate

1 Happy Trials 10 Ben Melham 59 $126
2 Black Heart Bart 6 Brad Rawiller 59 $17
3 Hartnell 7 James McDonald 59 $3.40
4 Hauraki 8 Dwayne Dunn 59 $17
5 Happy Clapper 4 Brenton Avdulla 59 $67
6 Vadamos 2 Joao Moreira 59 $13
7 Awesome Rock 5 Stephen Baster 59 $67
8 Winx 3 Hugh Bowman 57 $2.15
9 Lucia Valentina 9 Kerrin McEvoy 57 $21
10 Yankee Rose 1 Dean Yendall 47.5 $13

Manikato Stakes

1 Buffering 2 Damian Browne 58.5 $11
2 Chautauqua 1 Dwayne Dunn 58.5 $2.25
3 Lucky Hussler 10 Brad Rawiller 58.5 $9.50
4 Under The Louvre 5 Chris Parnham 58.5 $19
5 Rebel Dane 4 Ben Melham 58.5 $41
6 The Quarterback 11 Matt Allen 58.5 $16
7 Japonisme 8 Glyn Schofield 58.5 $41`
8 Fell Swoop 3 Hugh Bowman 58.5 $14
9 Holler 7 James McDonald 58.5 $14
10 English 9 Sam Clipperton 56.5 $8.50
11 Capitalist 6 Kerrin McEvoy 53 $5.50

Markets from Ladbrokes

6 hours ago, rdytdy said:

WINX

6 hours ago, Midget said:

Why not Vadamos ?

Just in case I can't find a bookie offering evens on Saturday would you let me on for a couple of grand for the superstar mare short stuff?? B)

I see online they are keeping the rail in the true position for both Friday night and Saturday which is not normally what they do. 

Hopefully that keeps the fast lane at bay for the big go on Saturday. In the past it has been noticeable.

Without knowing Vadamos's racing pattern, for my money the only horse I can really see going forward is Black Heart Bart and maybe Happy Clapper (but unlikely). Personally I don't think Awesome Rock is the same horse as this time last year so trying to lead would be suicidal to his chances.

With no genuine leader in the race then it could be very tactical and I wouldn't mind betting the super mare could find herself in a pocket like last year if Hughie doesn't have his wits about him. I wouldn't like to think the sea will part against the rail like it did last year for him.

Still with such a small field he should get the run when required but will it be chasing Hartnell when he starts to loop them at the school?

The likelihood of no speed early will also take half the field out of any possible contention they may have had as they just don't have the acceleration of Hartnell and Winx when they make their moves - and I would think Hartnell is quicker to wind up but the mare has the better top end speed so I can see her chasing him down rather than the other way around.

To sum up that ramble then - I think I could be persuaded to slide a few notes for a place on BHB if he can lead and find a similar kick like last time on the corner and maybe even a wee place multi with Buffering given his draw and record at the Valley.

Guest 2Admin2

That description sounds like Bonecrusher vs Waverley Star.