RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Otaki off....

9 minutes ago, von Smallhaussen said:

serious question - can anyone please tell me what the total galloping stakes were in NZ for the 2015/2016 racing season?

Yep, there were about 100 kg of eye fillet, same of porterhouse/sirloin and at some premiums, cattlemens cutlets, yum yum.

16 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

thanks but I have read through all that and the figure that I am after ( total stakes for the season ) does not jump out at me.

6 minutes ago, hesi said:

Can't see a total stake money for each club for the year, so you can't do that.

Perhaps the ever present Leggy will have the data at hand:)

The only way I found, was to go through the racing calendar and add it all up

53.88m according to the CE report in the August thoroughbred monthly though that came with a $1m loss for the year, up from 52.78m in FY15.

Let us work with Leggy's rounded figure of total stakes for a season being $54,000,000.

We all agree that we need a decent ( maybe 3 of ) racing surface for all seasons, be it stathyr (sp) or on the black sand belts that drain freely.

The question is - where do we get the money to develop this (these) tracks????

My suggestion - and I know there will be some that disagree! ( may be many ) but I as an owner would agree to this as a benefit for the industry.

A) with total stakes being $54m - 5th place payouts equate approx 2.5% of that or $1.35m - for five years abolish 5th stake payments giving $6.75m for these tracks to be developed.

who is going to miss 2.5% of $7,000 anyway ;)

The major stipulation being - That no-one be employed on $100,000+ to administer this project!

1 hour ago, von Smallhaussen said:

Let us work with Leggy's rounded figure of total stakes for a season being $54,000,000.

We all agree that we need a decent ( maybe 3 of ) racing surface for all seasons, be it stathyr (sp) or on the black sand belts that drain freely.

My suggestion - and I know there will be some that disagree! ( may be many ) but I as an owner would agree to this as a benefit for the industry.

A) with total stakes being $54m - 5th place payouts equate approx 2.5% of that or $1.35m - for five years abolish 5th stake payments giving $6.75m for these tracks to be developed.

The major stipulation being - That no-one be employed on $100,000+ to administer this project!

No one is going to miss it VS that I agree with, but yet again like our friend Corny on page 1, the poor bloody owner is going to pay for it.  Racing for $7k is unsustainable for owners as it is without taking away another amount from us.

I fully support removing 4th & 5th and rolling them up to 1,2,3 to make it slightly more economic to get a winner/placegetter, but I am dead against owners having to fund a AW track that I might never have a runner race on.

Horses sold overseas that do not race here in their 2 and 3yr old seasons should have a 5% levy applied. that will fund 3 tracks designed the same as Te Rapa in the North Island.

The bloke on with Des this morning sounded half reasonable to be fair.

Lots of changes in the wind, new platforms, co-mingling sorted shortly, recognition of the need to update the dinosaur system they have, new TAB layouts being trialled in Mount Maunganui and Greerton ( interesting choices ?) which will have touch screen info technology etc etc...and this does not cover all I might add...

Was reasonably impressed until I heard they expect all these changes to return $50m to the Industry for distribution....

:unsure:

You cannot levy something that's not racing related but is more accurately described as a collateral business utilizing different skill sets that allow the persons involved to survive in what's a quite hostile racing environment.

Taxing international sales at the NZB yearling sales level, RTR, or out of training is ludicrous, just as taxing stallion service fees is. The root of the problem we face is a lack of revenue from gambling sales and that's compounded by wasting the revenue we derive from those sales.

Why would you tax those who run commercial studs, or those who buy yearlings, add value to them, and then sell them on. That's extraordinary thinking in the style of a communist doctrine. All you'd achieve doing that would be to drive more people out of the industry.

Until we have the courage to acknowledge those two critical things, they being our inability to increase TAB revenue, and to spend the proceeds wisely,  and of course the need to have the right personnel in place to remedy the situation after we accept our fundamental problem, we're going nowhere and racing in NZ will get what it deserves.

Speaking of which, where are all the flag waving cheer leaders for Alan Jackson ? those who slipped him in the back door to the NZTR board. I'd love to hear from them, a progress report on what he's done after all these promises that he was the " knight in shining armour ", our saviour !! Some saviour I say cynically.

5 minutes ago, Midget said:

Speaking oh which, where are all the flag waving cheer leaded for Alan Jackson ? those who slipped him in the back door to the NZTR board. I'd love to hear from them, a progress report on what he's done after all these promises that he was the " knight in shining armour ", our saviour !! Some saviour I say cynically.

Woh, that's a bit of a turnaround is it not?

43 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I thought you were originally pro, or at least hopeful about the Jackson appointment?

Well hopeful yes, always hopeful, but always with a reservation because he's been there ( in various capacities ) for so long now and he hasn't troubled the score keeper to date.

I've been particularly cynical about his latest reincarnation because it involved chicanery with the Member's Council's involvement, and those currently spruking him are notoriously bad judges, a bit gullible, not very bright, or all of the above, for example Wendy Cooper, the TA, Roger James et al.....

Then when I found out what their secret plan was to save the industry with the unbundling of the industry IP, and how that was in conflict with the Racefields legislation, and thus the NZRB and the government, I just let out a long sigh and rolled my eyes.

I'd be pleased to proved wrong of course, thrilled in fact, so if anyone knows of anything useful Jackson is involved in please bring me up to speed.

3 hours ago, Midget said:

You cannot levy something that's not racing related but is more accurately described as a collateral business utilizing different skill sets that allow the persons involved to survive in what's a quite hostile racing environment.

Taxing international sales at the NZB yearling sales level, RTR, or out of training is ludicrous, just as taxing stallion service fees is. The root of the problem we face is a lack of revenue from gambling sales and that's compounded by wasting the revenue we derive from those sales.

Why would you tax those who run commercial studs, or those who buy yearlings, add value to them, and then sell them on. That's extraordinary thinking in the style of a communist doctrine. All you'd achieve doing that would be to drive more people out of the industry.

Plenty of horses that go through the sales use the facilities that those of us who race horses in NZ are the main contributors in funding. Why should someone who takes horses to trial or ready to run not have to pay some levy when the product is sold overseas, adding 5% on to overseas buyers wont make any difference to them. The lack of gambling sales you mention is in part contributed because the best breed product is going overseas. Yes thats a good thing, however the price obtained for some of these sales is driven upwards by the success of NZ owned and/or trained runners on the international stage.

12 minutes ago, barryb said:

Plenty of horses that go through the sales use the facilities that those of us who race horses in NZ are the main contributors in funding. Why should someone who takes horses to trial or ready to run not have to pay some levy when the product is sold overseas, adding 5% on to overseas buyers wont make any difference to them. The lack of gambling sales you mention is in part contributed because the best breed product is going overseas. Yes thats a good thing, however the price obtained for some of these sales is driven upwards by the success of NZ owned and/or trained runners on the international stage.

What facilities would they be exactly ? and are you saying they use them on a gratis basis ?

7 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Any idea if there is a current season version of that document? I find it quite fascinating in many respects, but can never figure out how to find such things on the nzracing site.

So much positivity NOT!!!! come on guys, if you cant come up with positive comments dont comment at all, get sick and tired of reading all this negative stuff - there are people in NZ like myself trying to make something with what we have and it is not all about the punters and what they think...... they think they have the rough end of the stick, you wanna try making it in this industry, we are here because we love it.

We need positive comments and feed back that can maybe help - get sick of hearing stuff that is just downing to the industry, bugger off and make your comments elsewhere :(

1 hour ago, Pukemoe said:

So much positivity NOT!!!! come on guys, if you cant come up with positive comments dont comment at all, get sick and tired of reading all this negative stuff - there are people in NZ like myself trying to make something with what we have and it is not all about the punters and what they think...... they think they have the rough end of the stick, you wanna try making it in this industry, we are here because we love it.

We need positive comments and feed back that can maybe help - get sick of hearing stuff that is just downing to the industry, bugger off and make your comments elsewhere :(

Marvellous idea.

Tell us about your success stories, in fact tell us what you do in the industry, and what your plans are for the next generation.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Midget said:

Well hopeful yes, always hopeful, but always with a reservation because he's been there ( in various capacities ) for so long now and he hasn't troubled the score keeper to date.

I've been particularly cynical about his latest reincarnation because it involved chicanery with the Member's Council's involvement, and those currently spruking him are notoriously bad judges, a bit gullible, not very bright, or all of the above, for example Wendy Cooper, the TA, Roger James et al.....

Then when I found out what their secret plan was to save the industry with the unbundling of the industry IP, and how that was in conflict with the Racefields legislation, and thus the NZRB and the government, I just let out a long sigh and rolled my eyes.

I'd be pleased to proved wrong of course, thrilled in fact, so if anyone knows of anything useful Jackson is involved in please bring me up to speed.

OK. You're a bit slow, but at least you do seem to have grasped the problem with moving the scoreboard over the last decade or so.

13 hours ago, von Smallhaussen said:

I reckon now these 6 horse fields and a lot of them on a Saturday should only being paid down 3rd anyway. Race in a 6 horse race on Saturday and get 5th you get oney. Race in a pitiful mid week race for $7k in a 14 horse field and still only pay down to 5th so why not even it up if 7 horse filed only pay down to 3rd

10 hours ago, Pukemoe said:

Your quote, 'we are here because we love it' is all very well, we love it too, but we are also trying to make a living and pay staff wages, so, those here that voice a negative opinion don't need you telling them to bugger off, tell us how much you contribute? and at what level?........give Paul Belsham a call, tell him, he has already buggered off and the industry is much the poorer, him, and good people like him.......it's the apathy here that has contributed to the demise, shout loud and the rescue squad might turn up, might?

On 10/17/2016 at 7:09 AM, biff said:

Your quote, 'we are here because we love it' is all very well, we love it too, but we are also trying to make a living and pay staff wages, so, those here that voice a negative opinion don't need you telling them to bugger off, tell us how much you contribute? and at what level?........give Paul Belsham a call, tell him, he has already buggered off and the industry is much the poorer, him, and good people like him.......it's the apathy here that has contributed to the demise, shout loud and the rescue squad might turn up, might?

You are absolutely right about Paul Belsham, he could train a horse!