RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.

TAB Bookies turning punters off!!!!

Harnesslink over the last few months have been advising market movers and the amount of what they call big bets, which is very informative.

The TAB now considers a big bet to be $300 at $2 on EasyRider to net a massive $300

They also state many times that there is not much interest on many of the races early on, perhaps it is because the odds are pathetic and are not fair value.

You will also notice that many of the amounts quoted are odd amounts like $1,111 and $869, this being because they are clearly now restricting more than they are letting on, and not paying out large amounts to anyone.

Anyone on here that is saying that they are getting on large amounts, have got their hand on it!!!

I used to enjoy the challenge of "You know the odds, now beat them" but with the pathetic attitude of the NZ TAB of let's not have anyone win,

I have just about given up punting totally.

Personally don't need the money and now not worth the time and effort involved.

Well done NZ TAB you are achieving your goal of PISSING every NZ punter off!!!!!

And it's not just harness - I tried to have a few hundred on the Melbourne cup on a horse paying $26 at a TAB agency - if there is one race of the year that they should take a bet it would obviously be the cup given they will take millions on the race. The horse was available at $26 with some bookies in Aussie so if they were that concerned about the $5k liability they could have instantly traded out of it, but instead they partially accepted the bet to a $1k liability. That makes me think there is now some automation or at least rules that their odds setters should only take cash bets to lose a certain amount as surely even the idiots that work for them would have realised that bet should have been fully accepted!?

1 hour ago, lecithin said:

And it's not just harness - I tried to have a few hundred on the Melbourne cup on a horse paying $26 at a TAB agency - if there is one race of the year that they should take a bet it would obviously be the cup given they will take millions on the race. The horse was available at $26 with some bookies in Aussie so if they were that concerned about the $5k liability they could have instantly traded out of it, but instead they partially accepted the bet to a $1k liability. That makes me think there is now some automation or at least rules that their odds setters should only take cash bets to lose a certain amount as surely even the idiots that work for them would have realised that bet should have been fully accepted!?

That's unbelievable.  Did you try to put the bet on through a terminal or at the counter?  I would have thought their profit margins on Melbourne Cup All In markets would be close to Lotto like.  If they're doing this, they might as well shut the doors.  I guess they only want known losers betting through accounts and $5 bettors placing bets on sentiment and hunches on horses paying massive unders.  Only so many of them out there and probably fewer by the day so it will be hard to grow their market with that kind of strategy.

Great to see that finally other people are prepared to also speak up regarding restrictions etc. rather than just me leading the bandwagon.

Come on Gonsta and Fiery Falcon etc. what have you got to say for yourselves????

TAB, carry on the way you are going and you will totally stuff the industry!!!

TAB bosses, your business plan of just having losing punters is totally flawed and publicity you are getting is not very impressive.

Time everyone woke up to how bad this monopoly in NZ has become!!

Brodie,

Had a look at Harnesslink to see those bets you were talking about. Interesting.

I have no doubt about people being restricted but I think you are being a little selective with your use of figures.

I see someone had $2000 on Dexter in driver's challenge at 3s and $1500 Soney Beatt at $3.50 so the TAB allowed them to win reasonable money. It is no surprise Easy Rider had a $200 bet on it and that was mentioned because they are giving betting movements on each race. In this race the grass track and amateur drivers would hardly inspire what I would call the usual big punter. 

However, the TAB must have a new philosophy or recalibrated their system of setting the odds. Where have all these super specific opening FF odds come from? eg $7.20 or $9.40. Is this a sign of their tightness? What would have inspired their tightness?

More importantly, I am interested in how I will respond to this tightness. I think my main response is to not bet early unless there is clear value and wait until the readjustment of odds pre-race time when it seems many things drift and split my bets between tote and FF. Well, that is the plan anyway.

TAB deserve a beating!

41 minutes ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie,

Had a look at Harnesslink to see those bets you were talking about. Interesting.

I have no doubt about people being restricted but I think you are being a little selective with your use of figures.

I see someone had $2000 on Dexter in driver's challenge at 3s and $1500 Soney Beatt at $3.50 so the TAB allowed them to win reasonable money. It is no surprise Easy Rider had a $200 bet on it and that was mentioned because they are giving betting movements on each race. In this race the grass track and amateur drivers would hardly inspire what I would call the usual big punter. 

However, the TAB must have a new philosophy or recalibrated their system of setting the odds. Where have all these super specific opening FF odds come from? eg $7.20 or $9.40. Is this a sign of their tightness? What would have inspired their tightness?

More importantly, I am interested in how I will respond to this tightness. I think my main response is to not bet early unless there is clear value and wait until the readjustment of odds pre-race time when it seems many things drift and split my bets between tote and FF. Well, that is the plan anyway.

TAB deserve a beating!

They would never risk a beating. They just dish them out.

The only beating being received is from ill informed, lazy and stupid punters who bet into their ridiculously high % markets and the industry as a whole, many of whose participants are looking for other options for their entertainment dollar. And that applies to punters AND owners.

Proof is everywhere and everyone at the TAB is patting each other on the back due to their yield.

Typical short sighted thinking.

Here comes the pain.

28 minutes ago, Sickopunter said:

They would never risk a beating. They just dish them out.

The only beating being received is from ill informed, lazy and stupid punters who bet into their ridiculously high % markets and the industry as a whole, many of whose participants are looking for other options for their entertainment dollar. And that applies to punters AND owners.

Proof is everywhere and everyone at the TAB is patting each other on the back due to their yield.

Typical short sighted thinking.

Here comes the pain.

The thing is the staff in Wellington think they are being clever by closing agencies, sacking telephone staff and restricting punters from betting at agencies and therefore reducing turnover and income for agency owners.

They think that they are doing a great job but as you say it is very shortsighted behaviour as punters will stop punting and we all know that there are very few new people getting into the industry whether it be owners or punters.

1 hour ago, Happy Sunrise said:

Brodie,

TAB deserve a beating!

Happy, not being selective at all re figures.

Point being made is that many people are not getting what they want on.

Yes there was a bet on Dexter to net 4K but why are they allowed to take that and yet they would  restrict myself and others to only net $1k?????

In this day and age this is blatantly wrong for the TAB to be allowed to treat people differently isn't it??

For the TAB to offer odds to the public and then say no you can't have them is just ethically wrong and shouldn't be tolerated by the betting public.

They either treat everyone equally by publicly  announcing that they are not prepared to pay out anymore than $1k to everyone or they treat everyone equally!

They are either Bookmakers or they are not, if not then they should get out of the kitchen and stop offering fixed odds!

Wont affect me anymore as not worth my time for what they are offering me nowadays!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

Yes there was a bet on Dexter to net 4K but why are they allowed to take that and yet they would  restrict myself and others to only net $1k?????

Maybe the person who put on the bet is a known loser? Maybe they only want losers betting.

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

For the TAB to offer odds to the public and then say no you can't have them is just ethically wrong and shouldn't be tolerated by the betting public.

They have no balls. That is a fact. Would it break moral laws? Yes. Fair trading laws? Yes I think. Would it break the TAB Terms and Conditions...I bet NO!

1 hour ago, Brodie said:

They are either Bookmakers or they are not, if not then they should get out of the kitchen and stop offering fixed odds!

But they won't because they are manipulating the system to their advantage.

This might be an irrelevant point to many, but I posted ages ago about how the TAB site they have in the heading of a harness race saying it is a both mobile and stand which is confusing and wrong. But what it really shows to me is they have no attention to detail and haven't even picked it up yet and changed it. So how can I expect them to pay attention to anything else apart from making money for themselves to the detriment of everything else.

Happy,

You are right they have no .....

I challenge Stephen Richardson head bookmaker to come on this forum and put the TABs point of view across.

I may be wrong but I think the discussion with the TAB executive with Des Coppins has been put back a week?

Wonder why?

1 hour ago, turny said:

Understand one thing - they are not Bookmaker's - they are adjusting odds setters - they can't even open up Saturday ozzie gallops odd until the Ozzie TAB opens at 10.30am our time - just a joke

The Trackside presenters think they are Bookies, as they say from the Bookies Desk!!

I heard Mark Stafford say on the radio this morning that someone has put $50000 on the All Blacks to beat South Africa this weekend, he also said that they had been on the All Blacks 13+ every game (I am assuming he means of the rugby championship). I also saw them advertising that they have taken $55,000 on Baltimore in the Baltimore vs Blue Jays MLB wild card game today.

3 hours ago, tonkatime said:

I heard Mark Stafford say on the radio this morning that someone has put $50000 on the All Blacks to beat South Africa this weekend, he also said that they had been on the All Blacks 13+ every game (I am assuming he means of the rugby championship). I also saw them advertising that they have taken $55,000 on Baltimore in the Baltimore vs Blue Jays MLB wild card game today.

I would have serious question marks over where the money comes from someone betting 55k on a baseball game. Very unlikely they couldn't do better offshore and for that sort of money it would definitely be worth it.

On 03/10/2016 at 4:00 PM, Brodie said:

Happy,

You are right they have no .....

I challenge Stephen Richardson head bookmaker to come on this forum and put the TABs point of view across.

I may be wrong but I think the discussion with the TAB executive with Des Coppins has been put back a week?

Wonder why?

You will have to contact  Stephen Richardson directly to give you his point of view because no one with decent knowledge or opinion reads this garbage.

16 minutes ago, JustaBattler said:

You will have to contact  Stephen Richardson directly to give you his point of view because no one with decent knowledge or opinion reads this garbage.

You have Battler!

2 hours ago, JustaBattler said:

You are right, justabattler, they won't read this garbage because the ivory tower they sit in doesn't seem to have stairs to the bottom floor where the punters reside.

Maybe, it would do them good to read this site so they could actually learn and reflect on what some interested parties think. 

Premier night at Addington fixed odds are great!

Many at overs as usual.

Get into Crazy Dude in the first for a place, they have opened it at $1.01 for a place in a pretty even field.

Stephen Richardson wonders why there isn't many investing early nowadays?...

Stephen there will be less and less the way you are going.

Give NZ punters a chance!

If you are going to give the pathetic odds, take off the restrictions!!!

Update, Cruzy Dude now out to $1.10 for place.

Richardson is a pricer. He doesn't slap the restrictions on, thats the domain of a bloke called Glen Saville. The bloke that will bugger off back to Australia shortly after selling off the fixed odds unit to an offshore corporate. In my opinion his legacy will be having singlehandedly done more damage to the TAB than any of his predecessors, and thats a big call.

Just read the "market Movers" for Addington and Auckland tonight.

Stephen Richardson continually states that there isn't a lot of interest in many of the races.

Stephen, why do you not understand why there is very little interest in your odds?

The reasons I have many times tried to get through to you, and  you are seriously losing punters in large numbers.

Your odds that you put up nowadays early at least are totally pathetic in most cases and so anyone with any nouse will not see any value in them and won't bother.

Secondly if punters want to have a go at your pathetic odds, then you restrict them to a low amount.

Anyone on here that says they are getting large amounts on are blatant "liars" and currently you can't beat the TAB but it is seriously detrimental to the industry that many of us love!

Stephen, I will give you a tip as how you can get the punters being interested in your markets early!

Bring the odds out so they are fair like they were when you first started fixed odds and you were acting with integrity!

Brodie, you still haven't learnt have you. I would estimate 98% of punters have zero restrictions. Some like you are restricted to win 1k or 2k, others have even greater restrictions.  But there are plenty who can put $10k on a horse or the Drivers Challenge and it will be accepted.

I cant understand why you continually bag Richardson. He is the messenger. Learn who is making these decisions, here's a hint, read my last post. What's changed in the last two years, the time since these changes you moan about have been made?.....Geez for someone supposedly so smart you really come across incredibly thick at times.