RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Tanya Jonker

4 hours ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

re Matt Cross I was in course so did not hear his TV comments but I was bloody impressed with his work for the day. Excellent calling I thought on the toughest course for a commentator in NZ.  Up to the best in the land I reckon.

You have to be kidding or you were only listening to him on the wireless so you couldn't see what was really happening.  Some of his commentating was terrible.  Horses out the back, being called as 'right there'.  At the harness today some more mistakes.  I would call his commentating adequate and he is only learning so I'm happy for him to make mistakes while he is learning.  Saying he's up to the best in the land is just ridiculous.

On 10/1/2016 at 3:09 PM, chevy86 said:

Totally agree with the congratulations!  Not so the commentator (Cross?). His brilliant analysis of the ride--" a clever ride from Tanya Jonker, jumped from the One gate and went straight to the rail". WhereTF else would she have gone? To the outside fence maybe. Too much mindless drivel from too many presenters.

Just rewatched the video Chevy and you are being a bit mischievious there about Matt Cross - what he was referring to as clever was the next part of his sentence - He said '...clever ride jumped straight to the rail from the one gate and put a a gap on them at the 400m....' Clearly the clever part he meant was the later comment.

If you are going to be critical at least give us the full context of what he said

In fact I have just watched the entire days videos again and stand by the comment that he(Cross) had a great day.

35 minutes ago, Bimbo said:

You have to be kidding or you were only listening to him on the wireless so you couldn't see what was really happening.  Some of his commentating was terrible.  Horses out the back, being called as 'right there'.  At the harness today some more mistakes.  I would call his commentating adequate and he is only learning so I'm happy for him to make mistakes while he is learning.  Saying he's up to the best in the land is just ridiculous.

Had a bad day on the punt did ya?

Why don't you load up an example of your racecalling efforts so we can see how the deadset experts handle it?

3 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

Why don't you load up an example of your racecalling efforts so we can see how the deadset experts handle it?

Probably did.

Seems to be plenty of people on here recently taking potshots at numerous commentators recently.

Go on...have a crack yourselves. Sure you all will do outstanding jobs

38 minutes ago, TOM(the other Molloy) said:

No I had a great day on the punt.  I would have trouble calling two tortoises racing up a hill.  Matt is coming along well, he's keen and seems a nice young chap, but he's nowhere near the best in the land.  George Simon is the best and that's why he calls the best races.  Mark McNamara is a good caller.  I don't think he'll ever be as good as George and I think that's because he's not a punter. If you think that Matt Cross is an equal to either of them, then good luck to you, but I think what you're saying is ridiculous.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but try not to criticise these young fellows in what is not an easy gig.

They all adapt their own styles, have their mentors that they look up to, and like to get the job done to a high standard.

There is always room for improvement for most of them, and taking pot shots at them will not do them or their confidence any favours, especially from anonymous sources.

Talk to John Russell, Greg Miles, Reon Murtha and ask them how long it took them to get to the standard they were famous for, it's not a 2 year job, I promise you.

For all you knockers out there, just my opinion!

On 2 October 2016 at 7:24 AM, Pam Robson said:

Absolutely agree.

She rides work for me,  is so very capable in that role - far beyond her years -  but her finish has had me cringing for a while.  What do they teach at the local app. school?

Have to say I didn't listen to Riccarton races but I did have occasion to listen to Matt Cross at length when he did Ruakaka one day last year and I thought he was quite outstanding for a youngster.

He's also quite good just as a comments man, fluent anyway and that's a start.

50 minutes ago, Chris Wood said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but try not to criticise these young fellows in what is not an easy gig.

They all adapt their own styles, have their mentors that they look up to, and like to get the job done to a high standard.

There is always room for improvement for most of them, and taking pot shots at them will not do them or their confidence any favours, especially from anonymous sources.

Talk to John Russell, Greg Miles, Reon Murtha and ask them how long it took them to get to the standard they were famous for, it's not a 2 year job, I promise you.

For all you knockers out there, just my opinion!

Exactly Chris

Having a go years ago at the trials I know how bloody hard it is!

9 hours ago, Bimbo said:

No I had a great day on the punt.  I would have trouble calling two tortoises racing up a hill.  Matt is coming along well, he's keen and seems a nice young chap, but he's nowhere near the best in the land.  George Simon is the best and that's why he calls the best races.  Mark McNamara is a good caller.  I don't think he'll ever be as good as George and I think that's because he's not a punter. If you think that Matt Cross is an equal to either of them, then good luck to you, but I think what you're saying is ridiculous.

Well give us specific examples of the mistakes he made.  Because I didn't pick any up.

Its easy when you are watching one horse - try watching the whole lot.

9 hours ago, Bimbo said:

Bimbo I reckon you are dead set wrong on Matt - good on you for acknowledging he is young - he will get better still. But he is already good.

It's a funny game rating commentators - for me Mark Mc is clearly the best going round at the moment.

George is great fun - like him a lot, but actually he has a couple of flaws as well (he gives up on horses who are leading or handy on the inside too soon - calls the one's running home out wider as if they are already in front etc etc) 

So there you go - a personal thing

29 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Bimbo I reckon you are dead set wrong on Matt - good on you for acknowledging he is young - he will get better still. But he is already good.

It's a funny game rating commentators - for me Mark Mc is clearly the best going round at the moment.

George is great fun - like him a lot, but actually he has a couple of flaws as well (he gives up on horses who are leading or handy on the inside too soon - calls the one's running home out wider as if they are already in front etc etc) 

So there you go - a personal thing

My word, saved me writing anything. I agree with every aspect of your post.

On 10/1/2016 at 5:33 PM, Midget said:

The poor little bugger tried to fall off Cube's horse about the 1000m mark, lost an iron, and her composure.

She might need a little "one on one" with a senior rider sooner rather than later.

Good hands and heal ride on Pat in Brackets to win at Mot today.Did have bit of luck when for some reason other jockeys  decided to go bit wider down straight.

Chris Johnson having a shocker 3 races 3 faves no divvies yet.Hasnt looked like putting horses into the race.

Watching the replay of Tanya's first win, for an apprentice she rated the horse very well in front and her win on Sunday she also made a decent job of holding the horse up for its run.  Yes her finish needs some work but she definitely looks capable as far as her ability to handle a horse.

Well done on her wins and with abit of hardwork she should make the grade as an apprentice in the south, definitely a real shortage at the moment.